Well, my dad is giving up farming

Author Topic: Well, my dad is giving up farming  (Read 2376 times)

Just a bit of a personal story, don't feel obligated at all to read it.

My dad, when I was little, managed a pretty successful company called Poly Roll. He made a lot of money, but he had stretched himself thin, and he felt like sometime he would just snap. He eventually gave it up and started a farm. The farm kept on taking more and more improvement before it would be sustainable; just more and more effort and more and more time. He was breaking his back over it. Eventually, he divorced my mom and kept trying, kept going. Recently, he's gotten a lot of work done and just ran into the wall of how much work a human being can do for the second time. It's getting to be too much time in the day that he has to spend and the money has basically run out. He doesn't know what he's going to do anymore, but he's selling off the animals and equipment.

I'm really broken up about this.

My family stopped being farmers last generation :(

Everything he hoped for is just gone though.

You better start helping your dad: If you are in America those debts will be on you when he kills himself.

I know he won't kill himself, he wouldn't give up like that.
He still has me, my sister, and his girlfriend, along with the whole neighborhood loves him.

Tell him to work harder. looks like a bum to me.

joking.

That sucks dude, hope things go okay.

I want a farm so badly

I'm sorry the farm didn't work out. Best of wishes to your dad. In this economy a farm can be could business because it keeps you independent.

sounds like he has some serious committment issues

It sounds like your father is stuck in a horrible cycle and it is affecting his family life. It really sucks for him, but especially the people around him. You could try asking him to take it easy on whatever career choice he makes this time around, but it might just be his nature

It's not commitment, it's just that he works himself until it becomes impossible to continue. He's probably the best person I know and yet he cannot fit into how society works because of his ideals and his need for purpose. He was quite wealthy before all this.
And if it's a cycle, it's a long one. We've been at the farm for over 8 years, I believe.

He's probably the best person I know and yet he cannot fit into how society works because of his ideals and his need for purpose.
What are his ideals?

I've spent a lot of my life on farms, it really is tough to maintain.

Maybe farming wasn't really his thing? :S
I hope he doesn't get in too much money trouble.