50 (48.1%)
Flat plain, no cover
3 (2.9%)
Flat plain, some cover
10 (9.6%)
Other (please tell)
5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Airsoft thread. This topics still alive and well!  (Read 101813 times)

Airsoft Mega-Thread
Topic by: Alyx Vance Restructured by: -Triforce-

What is Airsoft?

Airsoft is a fast international sport that is growing more and more popular by the month. It is now becoming more known as the Paintball killer due to its spike in popularity. Airsoft was first invented in Japan during the early 1980's. It was created because only military personal can own a real firearm in japan. The weapons are designed to replicate real fire arms and shoot a small ammunition called BB's. Now a days Airsoft is played as a sport or used in military and law enforcement training.

What is Milsim?

Milsim is a type of airsoft that is played by a majority of the people that play. It stands for Military Simulation [/center]and does exactly what its name serves. There are many big game events in airsoft that are considered milsim but cost a few dollars to get into.

Safety
Transportation:
  • Orange Flash hiders until you are at your destination
  • Gun bags or Product box when transporting in public
  • NEVER TAKE YOUR GUN OUT IN PUBLIC FOR ANY REASON
GOGGLES:
  • ANSI Z87 Aproved
  • Full Seal
  • No mesh of anytype
Weapon:
  • Safety always on in safe zones
  • Keep finger away from trigger until you are ready to shoot
  • keep magazines out until on the field and ready to play
  • after taking a mag out, shoot 2-3 times in a safe direction to clear the chamber
Gear:
The rest of this is just preference.
  • Mouthguard (I have witnessed teeth being shot out)
  • wire mesh lower face mask
  • Long sleeve shirt/pants (or a bdu)
  • Proper ankle support boots (Ex: Combats, Hiking, work boots)
  • knee pads, elbow pads (I know someone who cracked their kneecap falling on a rock in airsoft)

Starters
This link is a basic begginers guid to buying airsoft guns. I like to reference it to anybody who is trying to figure out how to start. Thank you Reddit user /U/thetboneguy
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1O0JcqcWZoALiYIdzXpphdoNHH1VFIeMpRHjatU9mBgo

AEG:

AEGs are powered by a battery. They are the known to be the most popular type of airsoft rifle. Most aegs take a 8.4 lipo stick battery or a 9.6 nun chuck battery. The batter powers a small motor found inside the pistol grip of the rifle. The motor rotates the gearbox which compresses air. When the trigger is pulled it closes a circuit on the motor. When the motor powers up it tells the gearbox to release a piston that allows the compressed air to escape causing the bb to eject from the barrel. An AEG can have a firing rate up to 10-55 bbs Per second, and up to 500 feet per second. Beware of the Chinglish manuals...

GAS:

Gas airsoft guns are very expensive, yet the first type of airsoft guns created. They use a silicone based green gas or propane that is injected through a magazine. They are easily regulated and shoot more accurate. Gas guns are rare to find on most fields, mostly because people with money have a gas gun unless its a pistol. A majority of pistols use CO2 or green gas magazines to power them. Price range for a gas rifle vary from $350 - $800. Magazines tend to leak causing a few dollars to repair (50-100). The average gas gun can shoot from 380 - 700 feet per second, cycling 18-30 BBs per second.

Magazines

Mid Capacity Magazines:
Mid caps are the second most common magazine. They normally hold an ammo capacity of 120 to 160 BBS
It runs on a coiled spring that does not required to be winded. Normally consist of full metal and do not rattle when running. Mid caps are most preferred due to the fact that they carry less ammo, causing the player to act more tactical and play with more keen decision making

High Capacity Magazines:
High capacity magazines are the most common used magazines. They can hold up to 400 bbs. High caps are required to be winded after 50 -70 shots causing them to be a pain. They are extremely cheap and easily found in stores. A downside to high cap magazines is the rattling that it makes when you are running due to the BB's being able to freely move around in the holding area.

Real Capacity Magazines:
Real cap magazines are designed to emulate the real amount of ammunition a magazine can hold. They are not as popular due to how small of ammo it carries. Most people who carry real caps with them carry around 12-16 magazines on there gear. They function the same way as a mid cap and look exactly the same. Real caps are built for people who enjoy Milsim events

Ammunition

BB's are a small plastic, glass, or metal ball that is roughly 6-6.3mm in size. they are measured in weight and depending how heavy they are they're used for different applications. The .12g BB is the lightest BB made and probably the worse Since it is so light they fly in all direction, giving you bad accuracy. The .20g BB is the most common that you see people using, next to the .23, both are obviously heavier and travel more accurate. Any BB above .20g should be double polished otherwise it will ruin your gun.(.12 are never double polished) Double polished is when the BB has been cleaned and polished until the seem of the BB is completely gone. Finally .25 - .40g BB are the most accurate that can be bought, they cost a little bit more than the rest since "you pay for what you get"Most of the time the heavier the BB is,  you put it in a long range rifle. Being heavier has a downfall... HAHA Pun, they fall faster then other BB's.

Retailers

US-Based Retailers:
  • > Airsoft GI
  • Evike
  • Airsoft Extreme
  • Airsoft Atlanta
  • Trinity Airsoft
  • Airsplat
  • ShortyUSA
  • Airsoft Megastore

Canada based Retailers:
  • Toronto Airsoft
  • Airsoft Depot
  • Revolution Airsoft
  • Airsoft Canada
  • Badlands
  • BB Bastard

UK Retailers:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:12:24 PM by Alyx Vance »

loving lightweights

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=408_412&products_id=10893
I dislike battery ones because when the batteries out the game has to stop for a charge up (unless you have 2) and they don't quite have much power usually.
I like single shots because all I have to do is rooster and fire.

11 mags for m4  :cookieMonster:
Have fun reloading.

I dislike battery ones because when the batteries out the game has to stop for a charge up (unless you have 2) and they don't quite have much power usually.

Have fun reloading.
you've got to be kidding lol

Dude

REALLY?

I literally lol'd

Gas powered always seemed to be the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:15:01 PM by dorkdotdan »

you've got to be kidding lol

Dude

REALLY?

I literally lol'd

What'd I do? I'm going off some reviews from what I've heard, I've also been shot with one, they usually don't have as much power as a spring loaded one unless you get a expensive ass one.

i'm forgetin' Clint Eastwood

What'd I do? I'm going off some reviews from what I've heard, I've also been shot with one, they usually don't have as much power as a spring loaded one unless you get a expensive ass one.
Okay

You don't need an expensive ass electric gun, just a non-stock battery. NEVER use the batteries that come with the guns, because they are most of the time crap. If you buy a separate battery then it will late at least a day long.

Alyx Vance seems to know nothing about airsoft outside of stuff Wal Mart guns.

I know someone with an electric M4A1 that normally shoots around 410fps and is fully auto, it hurts like stuff :c

i'm forgetin' Clint Eastwood
Do want

Alyx Vance seems to know nothing about airsoft outside of stuff Wal Mart guns.
Want to give me the money for one? I'm not spending more than $30 on one unless I am expecting to do a super airsoft fight.