Author Topic: Coding challenge?  (Read 2428 times)

What is everyone's opinion of hosting a coding challenge and then having the community vote on the winner?
Perhaps I'll add a cash prize and people can donate for their own prizes?
Should I add a provision the gamemode must be new or in the works as of now and can not be something you made a while ago?

Let me elaborate a bit more...
The challenge will probably have some sort of theme and some sort of deadline timeframe.
All the applications will be submitted as pictures, videos, the mods themselves, or to me and Ill do the videos/whatever.
I'll have a poll for about 2 weeks, post a topic linking here from general discussion in order to get peoples votes and the winner will receive his/her prize.
If there are enough donations and its not just me giving away the prize, ill add a runner up and third place prize too.

CURRENT POT:Prizes will be split up into different categories later
  • Elm: 50$
  • Coburn: 50-75$, 15$ iTunes Gift Car, Random Small Amounts?
  • Pecon: ??? Might donate
  • Brian: 10$ iTunes Gift Card
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:03:12 PM by DYLANzzz »

Sounds fun, but IMO there should be a closer defined scope (for example, there's been a database challenge before).

Finally, was waiting for one of you guys to bring this up again.

@DYLANzzz I can help add to your cash prize. I've got 50 I can throw into whatever the cash prize is, lol. If enough people want this to happen, talk with me, I've got some ideas.

Finally, was waiting for one of you guys to bring this up again.

@DYLANzzz I can help add to your cash prize. I've got 50 I can throw into whatever the cash prize is, lol. If enough people want this to happen, talk with me, I've got some ideas.
Sounds good! I just pm'd you.

If anyone has any idea for a theme or a task, feel free to post your ideas here although I do have a few in mind I do want some input.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:28:14 PM by DYLANzzz »

A text parser challenge. It would have to be able to handle specific things (bullets, lists, etc).

A text parser challenge. It would have to be able to handle specific things (bullets, lists, etc).
Im looking for something the community could benefit from though.
I also want people to come up with their own things, like, not as narrow of a topic.
With a challenge like that you get everyone making the same thing and the best one comes out on top.
If you give a more broad topic, people can choose from a wider variety of things and then everyone's project becomes different enough that they're each their own thing and only relating by the theme.

Another thing I was thinking though would be a topic that would benefit the modding community. Something that all the modders could use as a resource.

If it's something to benefit the modding community, the competition could be for the most useful scripting library or something.

If it's something to benefit the modding community, the competition could be for the most useful scripting library or something.
Yup, it's pretty much this or some sort of challenge to benefit the entire community as a whole.
It might not be something so much useful to the community, but the most fun, entertaining, or game changing.

I could help fund a prize, maybe we could host it jointly.

I have a $10 itunes gift card.

I have a $10 itunes gift card.
Send me the code ;) (Im kidding of course)
If you really do want to donate it though, im sure I could add it to whatever goes into a second and third place prize.
I could help fund a prize, maybe we could host it jointly.
Perhaps. I might enter the contest myself because I plan on this being community judged so I'm really just organizing the whole thing for all us coders.
I don't really need anyone to help host this at all, but ill keep you in mind if I get suddenly busy or something.

I think the amount we have so far (including what elm said) is probably 100-150$ (not sure how much I'm funding yet)

EDIT: Even if you don't have money, there's other things you can donate if you want to help fund the prizes. Time, beta testing invitations, idk, whatever the hell you want, ill sort through it and pick out the worthwhile stuff.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:39:19 PM by DYLANzzz »

Prizes should be broken down so multiple people get a bit of something, obviously more for first place and stuff. Looks like there's enough to do it like that.

Also, could the challenge be to make this?
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=225987.0
I think it's too narrow though.

Prizes should be broken down so multiple people get a bit of something, obviously more for first place and stuff. Looks like there's enough to do it like that.

Also, could the challenge be to make this?
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=225987.0
I think it's too narrow though.
That's an interesting idea, I love how I posted there and made no connection between these two topics. Perhaps I can broaden it up a bit but this sounds like an amazing idea.

Prizes will be broken down into smaller chunks, Im just kinda getting a big pot together right now and will split it up later. I also just want to see how much interest this topic gets. I really dont want to make a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if only like 4 ppl do this.

Truce actually already made it as a mod, so maybe it's not something we would want to do then.. I'm not sure.

Oh and I'm pretty confident you can get most of the scripters on the forum to join.

Truce actually already made it as a mod, so maybe it's not something we would want to do then.. I'm not sure.

Oh and I'm pretty confident you can get most of the scripters on the forum to join.
Yeah, but his is just adding one box to the input events. Im sure people could come up with much more creative solutions possibly a new gui. I have no idea as its really up to the coders but if I did do this idea, id provide some sort of rule so that they have to modify it enough that it isnt like Truces.
But there's many more ideas out there, this is just one im pondering over.

You said I can get many to join, the problem though is getting many to finish. I remember being in a mapping contest for garrys mod, like 10 good mappers joined, only me and another guy actually had the care and willpower to finish. Money may be a cool incentive, but its the intrinsic motivation over the course of a few weeks that people really need to finish this. Im sure theres at least 3 or 4 people here that could though.