Author Topic: Blockland mod market system?  (Read 13803 times)

I will acceopt to pay for very good mods/builds/tutorials.

This loving sucks. First off, no one's paying to join a stuffty server. I'm not going to pay for new vehicles for my server.

If anything, I'd like the addon system to be like Garry's mod.

Maybe if some of them were like $0.03 - $1.00, if would pay for exclusive add ons.

Who decides the costs though? Anyone can throw out a stuffty gun and slap a $5 tag on it.

Who decides the costs though? Anyone can throw out a stuffty gun and slap a $5 tag on it.
And then anyone can decide not to buy it.

Blockland Pre-Paid RTB Store Purchase Cards now available at your local GameStogwasasgDGSDGgSDGSDgggd s~~!

My thoughts:

• Introducing a mod market could theoretically improve quality (because of competition), but it could also create monopolies because some modders are more prominent than others.
  • If the key system isn't effective, pirates could resell mods, thus allowing them to steal investments of time and willpower.
  • If this was to be made, I think it should start off with a virtual currency to test the waters. Then if it does well, implement real cash-to-virtual cash micro-transactions.

Currently, modders make addons for the purpose of pleasing other modders and non-modders.  Adding a mod market to the equation could drastically alter that relationship, for good or ill.  Just food for thought.

My thoughts:

• Introducing a mod market could theoretically improve quality (because of competition), but it could also create monopolies because some modders are more prominent than others.
  • If the key system isn't effective, pirates could resell mods, thus allowing them to steal investments of time and willpower.
  • If this was to be made, I think it should start off with a virtual currency to test the waters. Then if it does well, implement real cash-to-virtual cash micro-transactions.

Currently, modders make addons for the purpose of pleasing other modders and non-modders.  Adding a mod market to the equation could drastically alter that relationship, for good or ill.  Just food for thought.

Just to comment on the monopoly part, I don't see how prominenet modders would have one. (Seeing as anyone can make a mod with the skills). It might be a good idea to test it out first.

The whole point of selling things is to make a profit.

It makes me sad to see that you guys think free is best. Free is the enemy of quality. If we want quality mods, we need them to cost money. There will still be our mediocre add-ons (no offence to the scripters :p) for free, and again, other games do the same thing and its proven to work. Name one person who is willing to spend 7+ hours a day developing something for free, while having an income of
0$. Uhhhh... Brian Smith with all of his awesome mods?? Bushido with T+T? Nexus with NARG?
This is the exact route that roblox is going down
We pay 20 dollars for a loving GAME ALREADY, then you expect us to pay MORE money to get a GAME that we already payed for?
You might say that the game would become free, but that is already the stufftiest idea because the game is worth 20 dollars and without that one time fee to get a loving game or mod we would LITERALLY be a roblox clone.
Do you have a brain at all?

Heck, mods can even be better then the original game its self.
This is seriously the worst idea in Blockland history
Do you REALLY think that some idiot would pay 5 dollars just for a mod?
And even if this WAS implemented, couldn't you just open up the mod files and give it to people?
Or give the key to people?
I doubt you are smart enough to comprehend how idiotic this idea is.
Like I said before: Do you have a brain at all?

My thoughts:

Also double post
BUT YOU ARE loving AGREEING WITH HIM?
You must not have a brain either.

-snip

Most skilled, professional developers who love making mods don't have all that much time to put into making mods. But if someone can charge a bit for making high quality mods he can put a lot more time and effort into doing so. This doesn't mean that he is just doing it for the money.

The game maker benefits also, because his game becomes more popular because of the high quality mods.

Also double post
BUT YOU ARE loving AGREEING WITH HIM?
You must not have a brain either.

Buddy, you need to read what I wrote a second time.  I was neither agreeing nor disagreeing with him.

Just to comment on the monopoly part, I don't see how prominenet modders would have one. (Seeing as anyone can make a mod with the skills). It might be a good idea to test it out first.

I think any possible monopolies would be addon genre specific.  Let's consider Greek2Me's Slayer.  It's revolutionary, it's popular, and pretty much everyone uses it for their minigames.  Imagine if a modder with the same skills as Greek2Me made an addon of another type that was as big of a deal as Slayer.  Imagine if addons could have a price tag.  Unless he/she chose to make it free, he/she would have a monopoly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:53:35 PM by Bricknave »

Holy forget nuts, I know I said I was done arguing with you but after I come back form about 4 days I expect to see this thread dead.

Jesus Christ just lock the damn thread, all of this thread is negative post onhjly like 2 or 3 say its a good idea like I said more than once before.

See this button on the bottom left corner?

Click it and watch the problems go away.

I hope this thread is dead now.

Holy forget nuts, I know I said I was done arguing with you but after I come back form about 4 days I expect to see this thread dead.

Jesus Christ just lock the damn thread, all of this thread is negative post onhjly like 2 or 3 say its a good idea like I said more than once before.

See this button on the bottom left corner?

Click it and watch the problems go away.

I hope this thread is dead now.
I'm sorry, is dealing with opposing opinions too hard for you?

^reasons i won't take any of comrade's money if i get around to making his doors
(don't tell him !!)
thank