I'm considering modding an orginal GBA to have the SP's backlit screen.

Author Topic: I'm considering modding an orginal GBA to have the SP's backlit screen.  (Read 2816 times)

The problem with the SP for me is that your hands get cramped after a few hours of playing with it.  The problem with the orginal GBA is that it has no backlight, so its hard to see in the dark and looks bad in general. To fix that, I've thought about taking the screen from the GBASP and putting it on the orginal GBA, so you can have the backlit screen and be able to play games comfortably. There's lots of people that have done this, and they seem very happy with the result.

Everything seems pretty easy to get except for the adapter. The only way to get an adapter seems to be from a Chinese man who hand makes them. The delivery time is about a month and I don't really want to wait that long and I already know my parents won't let me order something from china. So I'll have to find a way to do that.

Anyways I thought you guys might be interested in this project i'll probably be starting soon. There's plenty of other people who have done this before and their results look fantastic. Heres some of those people:

http://imgur.com/a/5jbCb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiu2sXSyBBc&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdx8w1Q4EBY

This person actually sells the finished product, but isn't as cheap as just putting together one yourself: http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/

So yeah, when I decide what to do and if/when I get some parts i'll update this thread. One last thing, has anybody done this before? I highly doubt it but I figured I might as well ask.

Aww yeah!

One last thing, has anybody done this before? I highly doubt it but I figured I might as well ask.

I'm probably as close as you're getting. I've never exactly done this myself but I'm familiar with this process and a bunch of other modifications, albeit the majority of them being for older Game Boy models such as the DMG.

It's worth noting that apart from not being backlit, the AGB's start and select buttons are in a horrible position. That's the only other downside, really.

Get your tri-wing from Kitsch-Bent. The service is astounding; Matt is the kindest guy on the internet and has never let me down. I just bought the same screwdrivers from him on Thursday and they just arrived yesterday in excellent condition. Going to use them to build a new DMG. :D

As far as the actual procedure goes: I recommend contacting Justin Thursday. He built my first DMG and from what I gathered when I spoke with him, he's a pretty nice guy. I'm sure he'd answer any questions you have. Maybe he could hook you up with a ribbon cable adapter. Worth a shot.

You could ask Rose Colored for one too. I'm not familiar with the service, but asking them can't hurt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:26:34 AM by End »

Why not just use an emulator? (Do you need it on the go?)

You should just buy a cheap 2nd hand DS.

-

EDIT: Forget everything. Good luck with your modding.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:18:36 PM by Tonkka² »

You should just buy a cheap 2nd hand DS.
Can't play game boy games though

I recently tried Sonic Advance 2 on an emulator.

It's literally unplayable.

stuff son, that looks cool.

Wow, I have both of those gba colors, lol.

Well I'd imagine so, I mean I can understand playing emulators if your computer sucks and you have not much else but like the whole thing is that gameboys/PSPs are so portable.

-snip-
Man this is some great information. I'll definitely try contacting some of those people and see if they can get me a ribbon cable. 

Can't play game boy games though
unless you have an original DS or DS Lite.

omg we have the same gba sp

unless you have an original DS or DS Lite.
The DSL and DS are both incompatible with GBC/GB games.
As in they don't even fit in the slot.

The DSL and DS are both incompatible with GBC/GB games.
As in they don't even fit in the slot.
This was the worst thing about the DS for me.
It's the reason I loved the GameBoy Advance/SP, because it could play GBA games and GameBoy/Color games.
Then the DS cuts out a large chunk of the games existing for the Gameboys.

And then 3DS got even more stupid and they removed the GBA slot, so you can't play any of those on it.
And special games, like Guitar Hero GBA used to have a Guitar Hero key-pad that would plug into the GBA slot to play with. Those are completely impossible to play on a 3DS now.

These looks really really cool. Would love to do that, but I'm not sure any of my GBA's are in good enough condition, and I'm not sure where my SP is.
Good luck with the project though. Looking forward to seeing any progress with it.