Author Topic: Parents sue Pittsburgh Zoo over toddler's mauling death even when it was THEM.  (Read 3768 times)

What a tragedy. However, it wasn't the zoo's fault, it WAS the parents' fault for lifting him up on a railing where he lost his balance and fell! I'm sorry, but the parents are complete idiots! The Zoo even warned about lifting children above a habitat. They were the ones who caused this.

http://news.msn.com/us/parents-sue-pittsburgh-zoo-over-toddlers-mauling-death

I can't say who's at fault, but I don't blame the parents for rash actions. I can't imagine they'd be in a very good state of mind after seeing their kid literally ripped apart in front of them.

which one of the parents was lifting the child?
jesus christ
he or she must be feeling the worst guilt...

which one of the parents was lifting the child?
jesus christ
he or she must be feeling the worst guilt...
The mother.

The mauling occurred after Elizabeth Derkosh lifted her only child up to the window for a better look at the dogs, and he lurched forward and fell into the enclosed area.

She tried to climb into the exhibit to save him but was restrained by another visitor.

"She watched helplessly as the African wild dogs savagely mauled and literally tore apart her son in front of her," the lawsuit said.

The child's organs were eviscerated and he suffered more than 46 wounds to his head and neck
Oh dear god. If I were that parent I would never be able to live with myself after that.

regardless though, I don't think that taking it out on a group who didn't do anything wrong is the best way to deal with guilt :I
one day she'll probably look back on it and realize how incredibly stupid she was being, by lifting him up there
still, uggh. I think I'd just kill myself in her situation to be honest :s

It's not the zoo's fault.
They warned about lifting children for a better view.
Not every zoo employee has a tranquilizer gun. The zoo only uses tranquilizer guns when they know something deadly is going to happen, and in this case they didn't know the parents would do this. Also, tranquilizer darts dont instantly make animals stop what they're doing and sleep, and it requires time to actually aim the thing at the animal, but this all happened in an instant.
Anyways, I bet you that child is in a better place now, and is watching the animals and his/her parents and smiling.

My philosophy is that warning signs should be heeded. If they are ignored, you are partially at fault. Either way, everybody here did something wrong.

That poor kid. ;-;
His poor parents.

My philosophy is that warning signs should be heeded. If they are ignored, you are partially at fault. Either way, everybody here did something wrong.
and the zoo did what wrong exactly to get partial blame?

Then all the zoos will eventually have glass domes over the entire habitat to prevent this from happening

Edit:
I did a bad
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:28:02 PM by sorrel »

Then all the zoos will eventually have glass domes over the entire habitat to prevent this from happening

Edit:
I did a bad

ouch.

The problem with humanity is that people aren't taught to take responsibilty for their actions. Thus we have the all too common blame game and thus people sue each other now. I hate the idea of suing anyway. Trying to get monetary gain for the loss of someone makes me sick to my stomach.

I hate the idea of suing anyway. Trying to get monetary gain for the loss of someone makes me sick to my stomach.
in situations like this when it's just "pain and suffering," i.e. for profit, I agree. but there are times when it's needed. people don't always have the ability to pay for the surgeries and stuff involved. so they have to sue the company or whatever who was responsible in order to pay for it

in situations like this when it's just "pain and suffering," i.e. for profit, I agree. but there are times when it's needed. people don't always have the ability to pay for the surgeries and stuff involved. so they have to sue the company or whatever who was responsible in order to pay for it
I can understand loosing a limb or becoming brain dead on the job, but most lawsuits in the US as far as the common people go are over trivial things.

I can understand loosing a limb or becoming brain dead on the job, but most lawsuits in the US as far as the common people go are over trivial things.

I hear people say this a lot, then they use the McDonalds coffee thing as an example. But the McDonalds Coffee thing caused a stuff ton of damage to the lady. McDonalds was completely at fault for what happened too.