Author Topic: How does teeth protection work? (for fighting)  (Read 633 times)

I'm thinking of buying a cheap mouth protector, basically a piece of rubber you put inbetween your teeth to avoid injury. I have one in mind that costs 12$, but as this is the first mouth guard I'm buying, I don't really know what to expect and have some questions;

Does it grip both my higher and lower teeth?
Can I still somehow bite my tongue?
How much does it help?

I've worn braces, so I'm really scared about my teeth sometimes.
Because of the braces, I have many cuts on the back sides of my teeth that really hurt if I bite on the back of my upper teeth.

I'm pretty sure its a rubbery strip or something which you boil and then put on your teeth. It then molds to the exact shape of your mouth. I might be confusing it with something else though, I was never a sports person.

How it works is like a shock absorber. It can't stop all of the damage, but it basically slows down the offending object. You cannot bite your tongue as it's a lot like a bite block that's at the dentist office.
Tl;dr: It's a big hunk of rubber you bite onto. Not sure if $12 is a good or a bad mouth guard.

It's just a piece of rubber that you bite down on to keep your teeth from snapping together and to stop you from biting down hard on your tongue. I suppose the layer of rubber would help prevent getting your teeth knocked out too. I'd imagine that rubber would keep the other fighters knuckles from getting torn up on your teeth as well.

When I did fighting I had no problems with mine. It was pretty cheap as well.

I'm pretty sure its a rubbery strip or something which you boil and then put on your teeth. It then molds to the exact shape of your mouth.
He's right, it's called a mouth guard
How it works is like a shock absorber. It can't stop all of the damage, but it basically slows down the offending object. You cannot bite your tongue as it's a lot like a bite block that's at the dentist office.
Tl;dr: It's a big hunk of rubber you bite onto. Not sure if $12 is a good or a bad mouth guard.
$12 is a little over the top, normally they'd be $5. If you're getting it for $12 then it's got to be good.