Author Topic: Fake Steam Community links going around  (Read 7119 times)

I haven't seen this in ages. Are you guys seriously not using Steam Guard or what?

I've had Steam Guard enabled since the beginning.  I've lived in different countries, states, and travel pretty often.  Having to verify with the code from Steam is very common for me, and often it has seemed unnecessary, so I treated it like any normal time and just went through with it.

I don't understand why you have posted in this thread three times now with essentially the same message.  Not everyone lives in Illinois their entire life; if you received a Steam Guard notification you would be much more surprised than I ever am.

Is there a certain way of telling if the Steam Community links are real or not? I want to avoid loosing my account like everyone else, I'm anxious now. I hope nobody else is effected by this phishing scheme people try to pull.

The excessive emoticons at the end of his post signify sarcasm.
I've seen a fair amount of people use excessive amounts of emoticons just because they can and they think it signifies stronger emotions.

Is there a certain way of telling if the Steam Community links are real or not? I want to avoid loosing my account like everyone else, I'm anxious now. I hope nobody else is effected by this phishing scheme people try to pull.

Demian posted the one that my account hijacker linked him.  As you can see there, some of them are obvious and you can point them out, others not as much.  The best advice I can give you is to be very wary of the website address and to turn on Steam Guard.  Like I mentioned in my last post, for most people who don't travel too often Steam Guard notifications are a big sign that something is happening that is not usual (someone trying to access your account).

I've had Steam Guard enabled since the beginning.  I've lived in different countries, states, and travel pretty often.  Having to verify with the code from Steam is very common for me, and often it has seemed unnecessary, so I treated it like any normal time and just went through with it.

I don't understand why you have posted in this thread three times now with essentially the same message.  Not everyone lives in Illinois their entire life; if you received a Steam Guard notification you would be much more surprised than I ever am.
receive any messages lately about so called free games? You probably had a key logger or something and your password to your email got picked up as well as your steam.

Does anything even happen to your account unless you log in?

receive any messages lately about so called free games? You probably had a key logger or something and your password to your email got picked up as well as your steam.

Not the case.  Steam is the only thing; everything else is good.

Does anything even happen to your account unless you log in?

Nothing happens if you go to the site and don't log in.  The sites are always changing, though.  That most likely won't be the same domain that you or anyone else gets linked to.  I had a different address linked to me than the one Demian posted.

I remember there was a scam link that when you click it your avatar changes to this

Silly right?

Um....

OH GOD

I remember there was a scam link that when you click it your avatar changes to this

Silly right?

Um....

OH GOD
hello sir

would you like to join me and nonnel's new religion that worships this man?

Have you heard of our just-found-out lord and savior, Penguinman?

hello sir

would you like to join me and nonnel's new religion that worships this man?

Have you heard of our just-found-out lord and savior, Penguinman?
Yes please. c:

I've seen a fair amount of people use excessive amounts of emoticons just because they can and they think it signifies stronger emotions.
One's respectability in a community is generally directly correlated to the amount of emoticon use. For a respectable community member to break the convention in a post is cause for further brown townysis.

Simple. If the link says anything other than http://steamcommunity.com/ it's not real.

Wait a second that avatar hack happened last year in December?
I think I can remember I only had about 40 friends then and about 25 of them had those penguin avatars
I didn't have the avatar, though.

Silly right?

Um....

OH GOD
lol