RTB and Steam

Author Topic: RTB and Steam  (Read 10974 times)

Does anyone realize that RTB will be rendered useless by Steam? We'll have Workshop, Achievements, Trading Cards, Messaging to friends, so on.

It wouldn't make RTB useless, it would still be in place because of the hosting aspect.

You're forgetting a couple of things.

1. Not everyone will play Blockland on Steam (including myself)
2. RTB is more than just addon hosting and friend chatting, it has a colorset preview, addon-management, addon preferences, and I believer Super Admins/Admins are also part of RTB or is that default?
3. It will still remain the only way to download things in-game (unless Badspot adds a page that links to the workshop in game, similar to how GMod has it).

Super Admins/Admins are also part of RTB or is that default?

.. obviously that's default.

This has been discussed before. RTB add-on hosting will always win out over some generic solution made to suit thousands of games because its purpose built and tailored specifically to Blockland's needs. The same goes for a whole bunch of things RTB does.

offtopic: I really think blockland should come with the ability to add manual and auto admins

Oh, OK. I'll just lock this before we get into an argument.

Unlocking this, it's worth talking about.

Even the messaging would not live up to RTB. We have to remember that as well as just chatting, the RTB chat allows us to quickly view what other friends are doing, quickly connect to servers friends are on and also invite them to a server we are currently playing on. Also I personally find trying to add friends on steam to be a pain in the ass.

I think Blockland's steam integration will also include implementing the invite/join functionality of Steam so for the most part RTB chat will be fairly obsolete until I extend it a bit more.

It still caters to people who don't use BL through Steam though (I don't think I plan to) so it's still worth having around.

I will personally use RTB more than steam overlay. Steam overlay is much too annoying, and its not good for trying to PM other blocklanders because you'll have to find their steam which isn't aways the same as their ingame name.

I think Blockland's steam integration will also include implementing the invite/join functionality of Steam so for the most part RTB chat will be fairly obsolete until I extend it a bit more.

It still caters to people who don't use BL through Steam though (I don't think I plan to) so it's still worth having around.
Would RTB chat rooms ever be finished then?

Yeah for sure, eventually. It requires some thought to do it right and I've just not had time to do it yet so far.

i have no problem with using steam chat over the old IRC any day lol

I'd probably stick to RTB. The only reason I ever got Steam was to take part in some groups which are not even active anymore. The only game I've actually ever bought on steam was some £1.50 thing that I bought just to activate my steam account.