"Jesus" is the first tweeter

Author Topic: "Jesus" is the first tweeter  (Read 2875 times)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2433077/Jesus-did-Twitter-claims-Cardinal-Ravasi-Christs-sermons-brief-meaning.html

Is the best they can do to connect with todays youth?

"Cardinal Ravasi stated that the church should be doing all it can to take full advantage of the internet as a way of getting the message of God to the masses."
I don't think the majority of the internet will be happy about this.

"'Jesus was the first person to tweet': Cardinal claims the idea of Twitter is 2,000 years old because Christ's sermons were 'brief and full of meaning'"

"Cardinal Ravasi claims Christ was the first to send messages to masses"

I don't think it's ridiculous for a religion to spread its message through new technology, but those claims are just ridiculous.

It's a similar concept, but it isn't necessarily "tweeting". I wish that people would stop comparing people from the past to recent technologies because it usually is a bad comparison.

This is just marketing. Churches are businesses and much like any business it's necessary to make your product appeal to key demographics. Young people use twitter, therefore the Catholic Church wants to attract the youth by making Christ relevant to something they enjoy using. I don't see the big deal here, unless you think people are really stupid enough to get misinformed by a Catholic cardinal saying that an Arab guy from a few thousand years ago was the first person to use an internet service invented like ten years ago. Furthermore, I don't think the cardinal is even trying to be literal.

I wish that people would stop comparing people from the past to recent technologies because it usually is a bad comparison.
this is tweeting

Seventh, he's saying his brief messages were just like Tweets, not that he was genuinely using the service.  It's a piss poor way to get the youngsters on board.

Either way, I've yet to find a religion that doesn't try too hard, and is incorrect about the majority of its ideals.  This shouldn't offend anyone, as it's mainly based on statistic.  I'd love to see some superchristians come in here and have a bitchfit, but it won't do them any good.

This thread will turn into a flame war.
Every religious thread does.

This thread will turn into a flame war.
Every religious thread does.

reminds me of the 5 topics you should never talk about:

religion
abortion
politics
economics

religion
abortion
politics
economics
That's four...

reminds me of the 4 topics you should never talk about:

religion
abortion
politics
economics
fixed

Lol this is random... Jesus tweeted...

religion
abortion
politics
economics
Why not?  They shouldn't be touchy.  People should have their facts straight or should be willing to discuss and change ideals.

People are uncomfortable because it breaches their comfort zone to gain knowledge that they don't WANT to know is true.

Seventh, he's saying his brief messages were just like Tweets, not that he was genuinely using the service.  It's a piss poor way to get the youngsters on board.
Okay, but literally who cares? We have the Catholic church lobbying African political leaders to ban contraceptives, which can be tied to literally tens of thousands of deaths by HIV and other loveually-transmitted diseases. I like how we're choosing to get worked up about a 'piss poor way' to market religion to young people instead of related issues that are actually causing demonstrable harm to people in the world.

I'm confident that this doesn't constitute a dismissive post since I'm substantiating my claims.