Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 847582 times)

Don't get a loving volvo they are trash. If you wanna get gas mileage for cheap and still be a PROUD AMERICAN MAN get you a early 2000s Malibu and save the rest of that money cause you won't spend over $2000 on a nice one. ~30mpg
i wouldn't recommend buying any used car made after the early 90's for under 3k, those things are guaranteed to need some work. a naturally aspirated first gen s60 or second gen s40 would be a great long-lasting car

Don't get a loving volvo they are trash. If you wanna get gas mileage for cheap and still be a PROUD AMERICAN MAN get you a early 2000s Malibu and save the rest of that money cause you won't spend over $2000 on a nice one. ~30mpg
I did drivers ed in one of those. Never been in a car that didn't feel as "nervous" as one of those.

I wouldn't say Volvos are trash. The most reliable car I've ever had was a 03' S60. Got 25 mpg and had very few issues considering it was an eight year old car at the time. The only problem is if you do have issues those foreign OEM parts are gonna come with a hefty price tag. I also currently drive a 14' S60. It's fast and handles like a dream.

I DO agree though that any Volvo pre-1997 is a forgetin plow.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:38:55 PM by Ravencroft· »

8k seems a bit much to ask for a 12 year old car. Could probably find something a bit newer in that price range.
it is in really good shape. i went in to negotiate after test driving and i got the price down from 8.9k before taxes to 6.9k out the door. fairly happy with that.

it is in really good shape.
well... technically, american cars just start out in bad shape

i wouldn't recommend buying any used car made after the early 90's for under 3k, those things are guaranteed to need some work. a naturally aspirated first gen s60 or second gen s40 would be a great long-lasting car

ive been buying cars for a while and the malibus i am talking about just dont hold value. Theyre good cars they are just not very pretty, at all. You can get a great car for under 3k, or even 2k. Just have to find a good deal. unless you live where volvos are produced dont get a volvo because parts are, like ravencroft said, expensive. And you will need parts if you get a volvo. 'German engineering' is not all its cracked up to be

ive been buying cars for a while and the malibus i am talking about just dont hold value. Theyre good cars they are just not very pretty, at all. You can get a great car for under 3k, or even 2k. Just have to find a good deal. unless you live where volvos are produced dont get a volvo because parts are, like ravencroft said, expensive. And you will need parts if you get a volvo. 'German engineering' is not all its cracked up to be
volvos are swedish tho

i own a 3 series bmw coupe, oem parts are a bitch but with those you're paying for the badge. aftermarket parts can be just as good if not better for a fraction of the cost. but then again that's for a car with a huge following and as such a large aftermarket support, idk if certain volvo models have the same thing going for them

I'll also mention that my past 2 (American) cars needed something expensive or painful to fix every 3-6 months; 6 months and 10k miles with my bmw and I've only replaced the cabin and intake filters once and the oil, despite occasionally beating the piss out of it on the weekends. not saying the "German engineering" thing isn't anything more than a sales pitch, but it's definitely been a good experience so far

i own a 3 series bmw coupe, oem parts are a bitch but with those you're paying for the badge. aftermarket parts can be just as good if not better for a fraction of the cost. but then again that's for a car with a huge following and as such a large aftermarket support, idk if certain volvo models have the same thing going for them

I'll also mention that my past 2 (American) cars needed something expensive or painful to fix every 3-6 months; 6 months and 10k miles with my bmw and I've only replaced the cabin and intake filters once and the oil, despite occasionally beating the piss out of it on the weekends. not saying the "German engineering" thing isn't anything more than a sales pitch, but it's definitely been a good experience so far

bitch no more about European cars and American cars, Buy Japanese bought my Camry with 284,357 miles on it and it has needed nothing but a distributor and spark plug wires till now when it has 298900 only 1100 to go boys

on the other hand I autocrossed the Pulsar last sunday and did pretty well. beat some fast cars
Kills list:
13 Ford Focus ST
06 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC
90 Saleen Mustang
00 GMC Sonoma
07 Ford Mustang
02 Subaru Impreza WRX
96 Mazda Miata
99 Mazda Miata
00 jetta
04 Audi tt
72 Chevrolet Nova
07 Honda Civic si
2012 Civic SI
Trailblazer SS
Infiniti G35
00 Toyota echo

that little clown car is faster than it looks, I had a blast

I also got the privilege of a ride in a 1989 rx7 but not just any one, it was one that had the engine swapped for a ford 331 stroker (Lincoln town car engine) pushing 16lbs boost. Lord almighty was that thing fast, I think I finally went 100 mph in my life guys.

just for comparison the Pulsar did the course in 94 seconds......the rx7 did it in 72

yes

also always remember /o/ has a sick reference for buyers choices on used cars

click img for big

Kills list:
13 Ford Focus ST
Infiniti G35
02 Subaru Impreza WRX
04 Audi tt
2012 Civic SI
maybe in a drag some of these could be considered slow in stock form, but he said "course" which implies turns, and these 5 are great track cars (implying the g35 was stripped down; heavy af otherwise) that probably weren't entirely stock. impressive kills, wish i coulda been there lol. you should check out gridlife's special stage for next fall, especially if you want to drift... there's never enough drivers for drift events

I've autocrossed a 73 4200 pound stock 4 speed Chevrolet and whooped up on a bunch of stuffty foreign cars. Toyotas as the only good foreign cars

Don't get your data from nfs lol

damn, 75% of the guys i know in the west michigan car scene have been doing it wrong this whole time with their euro and asian cars. i'll tell any of em i see that their cars are stuff and they should buy a duramax for track days instead lol