Poll

Do you think Personal Add-ons are OKAY?

Yes, Personal add-ons increase server appeal
81 (59.1%)
No, everything should be open-source
42 (30.7%)
(bonus) Private add-ons are also okay to me.
14 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: General Opinions on Personal add-ons?  (Read 9961 times)

its like a cake. you can either give the recipe out to the world or keep it to yourself and surprise all guests with the tastiness.

its like a cake. you can either give the recipe out to the world or keep it to yourself and surprise all guests with the tastiness.
/thread

I prefer personal Add-Ons for server appeal.  However, I feel that keeping good private mods secret is a blow on public innovation.

I prefer personal Add-Ons for server appeal.  However, I feel that keeping good private mods secret is a blow on public innovation.
You harm the production of such add-ons by forcing it on them.

You can encourage it, but you can't just release their add-ons without their permission, how do you expect them to react?

I said it myself, I'm not happy with the recent actions of Ephialtes, and have less desire to produce further add-ons, as will most add-on makers that have their brick packs, or really any other type of add-on produced without their permission.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:57:36 PM by Conservative »

^ in addition to what siba said.

I think there is this general attitude that anything that is made for blockland should be accessible to everyone, and able to be used anywhere.

^ in addition to what siba said.

I think there is this general attitude that anything that is made for blockland should be accessible to everyone, and able to be used anywhere.
There is no desire beyond creating the add-on for your own server or for release.

Once you start forcing players to release their add-ons, or the community in general starts spreading unfinished add-ons basically endorsed by one of the major admins, not only is there a quality loss but an interest in creating add-ons loss as well.

"I don't have them so that makes me unhappy, HMPH"
except it's true

people WILL get pissed.

except it's true

people WILL get pissed.

And the add-on developer is to blame for that? Nope. It sounds more like a personal problem to me. It also sounds like those people who get pissed are extremely selfish and if they were in the position of an add-on developer who made a pack of bricks / guns everyone wanted, they would probably tell those people to go forget themselves.

except it's true

people WILL get pissed.
Oh hey, you're the one responsible for this.

Congrats on the brick pack, you're contributing to the problem and your argument here consists of any selfish Blockland player's attitude being compensated.

Now you know why I refuse to help you.

not gonna bother reading thread, only reason to have private add-ons is to be a richard and hold it over everyone's head
any other "reason" is just a thinly veiled excuse

Oh hey, you're the one responsible for this.

Congrats on the brick pack, you're contributing to the problem and your argument here consists of any selfish Blockland player's attitude being compensated.

Now you know why I refuse to help you.
yea thanks, im glad to help make builds better.

I agree with personal addons.

Unless its Warhammer addons

Then release that stuff

not gonna bother reading thread, only reason to have private add-ons is to be a richard and hold it over everyone's head
any other "reason" is just a thinly veiled excuse
I have private add-ons, what of it?

Today, someone asked me for a mod that I made, and I turned them down because the mod was for me...
They told me that private add-ons are stupid

Why do people get angry at me for not "sharing"(giving to them for free) something I made

Why do people get angry at me for not "sharing"(giving to them for free) something I made
better question, why do you not release them