Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433082 times)

it kinda looks like he's farting really hard
i honestly thought that was the game mechanic at work

i need help with people who are experienced in lua/love2d

it took me quite a while to come up with a movement mechanism, because i changed it in the middle of when i was coding, but he finally looks at the mouse because i had to use some function called math.atan2

now i made a shooting thing, but when it shoots it's all weird

i tried using my code that made the player rotate for the mouse, and it did look at the mouse, yes, but i still have no idea to make it go towards the mouse

player.lua

guns.lua

I see the Guns:newBullet() function takes a dx and dy parameter:
Code: [Select]
function Guns:newBullet(x,y,image,speed,damage,rotation,dx,dy)
I'm thinking it would be much simpler to instead not use dx or dy, and calculate the bullet's dx and dy during the update using its speed and rotation. I actually had to do some testing to figure out the right formula for movement, but this should work:
Code: [Select]
function Guns:newBullet(x,y,image,speed,damage,rotation)
local bullet = {}
bullet.x = x
bullet.y = y
bullet.image = image
bullet.speed = speed
bullet.rotation = rotation
bullet.damage = damage
table.insert(Guns.bullets,bullet)
end

function Guns:update(dt)
for i=#Guns.bullets, 1, -1 do
local bullet = Guns.bullets[i]
--Move the bullet
bullet.x = bullet.x - math.sin(-bullet.rotation) * bullet.speed * dt
bullet.y = bullet.y - math.cos(-bullet.rotation) * bullet.speed * dt
end
end

oh my god it works

how can i ever thank you :c

ugh so i'm having problems again, with the stars

since i'm using HUMP's camera, the stars just won't cooperrate. they look like this:

http://screencloud.net/v/Dd3g imgur won't let me upload anything today, i had to get a friend to upload the last pic

yeaaah, pls help

stars.lua

main.lua

this seems like the only major problem left for now, so i'm gonna work on other important things for now

The camera's X and Y position is in the center of the screen, not the top-left corner. Instead of using cam.x, use cam.x - ScreenW/2 and subsequent for the Y position.

The camera's X and Y position is in the center of the screen, not the top-left corner. Instead of using cam.x, use cam.x - ScreenW/2 and subsequent for the Y position.

nope doesn't work

ah forget it, i'm probably gonna use a static image or something

So I need some help.

I took video game programming class in Highschool last year, and we used game maker. I have the demo for a game I made and I need some help programming in Game Maker.

My character sticks to the environment (walls) and ultimately makes it a clunky game. Ever since I graduated, I lost interest, but I've been looking into making another game but using graphics style similar to Dan Paladin (Castle Crashers, Dad and Me... etc)

Another problem, my character cannot keep upgrades from room to room. The upgrade variable was my bane.

If there's anyone adept on Gamemaker, you should add me on skype (khorde1463) and we could walk through the project together and figure stuff out before I start programming another.

Thanks in advance.

i'd consider myself fairly skeeled in the game maker, but i lost my licensing information long ago and have been far too lazy to resolve that
your best bet is probably bushido

So I need some help.

I took video game programming class in Highschool last year, and we used game maker. I have the demo for a game I made and I need some help programming in Game Maker.

My character sticks to the environment (walls) and ultimately makes it a clunky game. Ever since I graduated, I lost interest, but I've been looking into making another game but using graphics style similar to Dan Paladin (Castle Crashers, Dad and Me... etc)

Another problem, my character cannot keep upgrades from room to room. The upgrade variable was my bane.

If there's anyone adept on Gamemaker, you should add me on skype (khorde1463) and we could walk through the project together and figure stuff out before I start programming another.

Thanks in advance.

That's pretty lame. I'm not familiar with game maker but I have noticed that on other platforms if your bounding box is too complicated you suffer from major collision issues, especially so in Torque 2D. If you are using instance variables and loading new instances that would be why you are losing the power up so I would double check that you are using a global var. Other than that, like Taboo said, Bushido uses gm so just send him a message and maybe he'll look over your code.

That's pretty lame. I'm not familiar with game maker but I have noticed that on other platforms if your bounding box is too complicated you suffer from major collision issues, especially so in Torque 2D. If you are using instance variables and loading new instances that would be why you are losing the power up so I would double check that you are using a global var. Other than that, like Taboo said, Bushido uses gm so just send him a message and maybe he'll look over your code.

you still haven't answered my question :[

look on the last page or 2

My current game project is a sort of like LEGO Creator with more adventuring aspects, or a Zelda game with more creative aspects. First of all, yes, you can use LEGO stuff like minifigures and studs in games so long as they're non-commercial personal fan projects and you follow some other guidelines.

The idea is that if you come across a town (or castle or moonbase or whatever), and fulfill some certain requirements (solved certain puzzles, helped certain NPCs, etc) you're able to enter a build mode to customize the layout of the place, adding/moving/removing buildings (no piece-by-piece building, that's what Blockland is for!) which usually have specific functions - say, a blacksmith to get armor/weapons from, or a launchpad to fly off to a space themed area. Buildings are unlocked via finding blueprints in dungeons, which are less sandbox-y and more hostile, with enemies and traps and all that sort of stuff.

I've been focusing more on the programming side than the art/graphics side of things, and on top of that I'm currently in the middle of converting the whole project from UnityScript to C#, so I don't have any recent screenshots that show anything interesting, and the older screenshots I do have are of rough tests and half-baked funny looking things. But still, might as well post some, they're out of order but oh well:

Experimenting with terrain
Ambient occlusion test on an unfinished fire station model
The fire station test model in-game
Really rough dungeon test model to get a feel for what sizes of rooms felt best
gohomeslopedetectionyouredrunk.png
The first proper enemy I made with working AI and all that, though I ended up not liking the concept for the enemy in practice and won't be using it
More lightmap testing
More ambient occlusion testing + the free version of Unity finally gaining support for proper shadows
Collision detection testing for building placement
I don't even know
First try at a smoother camera system, though it ended up being glitchy and weird
A similar camera test but completely rewritten in C#, it works far better now

oh stuff that actually looks really neat

jamesster, keep it up that looks like fun :)