Author Topic: My parents will not stop bothering me.  (Read 4233 times)

You sign up for this stuff when you decide to play football.

the reason i avoid sports is the time commitment/physical injuries/pointless drama for no apparent reward

What part of this did he sign up for exactly? I don't think he signed up to be bitched at for not participating when he has a serious injury preventing him. Even the coaches are saying he shouldn't play. I really don't get what part of this is normal or should be expected. His parents sound like they care way too much about high school sports and need to realize that a permanent back injury is magnitudes more important than they're pathetic and somewhat creepy desire to live vicariously though their son.

You do not sign up to play through a injury.
Do you sign up to play a game/go on to something else?
Yes.
Do you sign up as a enjoyment/after school activity?
Yes.
Do you sign up to play through a herniated disc?
No.
NFL Players don't play through injuries. College players don't. Neither should high school. Risking a whole future career for one game is something no coach, fan or (smart) player wants.

Playing through pain is different than playing through injury and in this case he is injured.

That's like saying if you have a concussion you should whack your head a few more times, holy stuff I think you should really talk with your parents

Tell them to go away and that this is YOUR decision. Your body hurts and you are the only one who can make the decision to protect yourself further. Just rest and heal, then you can play more games later.

Omfg my dad called my coach today so after school my coach pulled me aside and asked how I was doing and I said ok. He asked good enough to play and I said no. I asked him of my parents called him and be said my dad did. So just to get him to shut up for a second coach and I agreed I would try and so the warmups. Had to stop being the pain in my back was coming back.
Eugh
that's like- literally the opposite of what I and Ipquarx suggested

Tell your coach how bad your injury is so that he understands that you cannot play. Then get him to make that obvious to your parents. Why are you compromising and hurting yourself more??

This is exactly the kind of thing that you ought to expect when playing heavy sports like this. Professional athletes play on injuries all the time. Perhaps not injuries as potentially threatening as this, but i can recall countless time I see players in NFL football and whatnot playing on muscle sprains and such. Totally normal in the world of sports.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:29:29 PM by Planr »

blogland forums!112l awolaoehloael

This is exactly the kind of thing that you ought to expect when playing heavy sports like this. Professional athletes play on injuries all the time. Perhaps not injuries as potentially threatening as this, but i can recall countless time I see players in NFL football and whatnot playing on muscle sprains and such. Totally normal in the world of sports.
I have never once seen a professional sports player play with a herniated back disc.

normally they get a stacking concussion and become suicidal

at least from what i heard
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:48:50 PM by The Resonte! »

:(

blogland forums!112l awolaoehloael

What?

Anyway, Planr, in professional sports, players are never expected to play on injuries that could potentially permanently disable you. If they do, it's entirely up to them. The same goes for high school. I have no clue where you got the idea that playing with a herniated disc is a normal thing for athletes to do, but it's not, and you aren't being helpful by saying 'he signed up for this lol suck it up and live with it'.

the reason i avoid sports is the time commitment/physical injuries/pointless drama for no apparent reward
this is stupid. you dont play sports because you arent physically fit. if you seriously think sports are too mcuh of a "time commitment" then you are pretty dumb lol. i can do perfectly fine in school while in sports. and if you are too much of a little pusillanimous individual to play sports because you are afraid youll get hurt then holy stuff lol ok. idk even know where you got the drama part from
I have never once seen a professional sports player play with a herniated back disc.
maybe you should read better

ot: i think everyone is overreacting, i mean we dont even know if op has gone to a doctor and seen if the injury is even that bad. he could just be complaining about his hurt back when he could probably play through it instead of just deciding to sit out. ive had multiple injuries during football, i broke my hand this season and didnt even know it, i didnt sit out just because i felt bad. you only have four years to have the chance to play free organized sports with a group of people youll like and grow close with, so you shouldnt just throw that out the window.

although op's injury does sound serious so im guessing it is. that sucks, i hate having to ever sit out haha, especially since its your last game. always next year though. also your guys' season goes really late wow, did you make it to playoffs?