2013/12/01 - Blockland r1908

Author Topic: 2013/12/01 - Blockland r1908  (Read 59062 times)

My basketball arena is so large in scale that I need invisible barriers made from bricks to prevent people from getting on the court during games. When I have these barriers activated, half the people in the server are corner jumping on them. This glitch really is a nuisance and I agree with it being fixed.

My basketball arena is so large in scale that I need invisible barriers made from bricks to prevent people from getting on the court during games. When I have these barriers activated, half the people in the server are corner jumping on them. This glitch really is a nuisance and I agree with it being fixed.
have a brick at the top instant respawn players. 

have a brick at the top instant respawn players. 
Killing them flat out provides stronger negative feedback.

Killing them flat out provides stronger negative feedback.
exactly

I think I'd rather have corner-jumping removed entirely and change a few builds to accomodate that, than have it remain and have to edit all other builds to prevent the bug being exploited.

It's been in for as long as I've had Blockland, back in V8/9. And it's always cropped up as a nuisance in builds.

it's also a pain in the ass exploit that adds a new level of annoyance when you don't want players glitching up walls.

this shouldn't be allowed. if its that big of a helpful feature for challenges, make it a pref or something, because it's certainly not a "fun oddity" in a lot of other situations.
Then put ramps on top of those corners.

thats not the point, why we shouldnt have to do that to fix it because it shouldnt be there in the first place

why? the cliffs are supposed to be sharp and blocky. i shouldn't have to sacrifice build design to work around some stupid glitch. do you suggest i do this to every wall?

For the old terrain maps, I made a playertype that couldn't climb straight up steep hills. That way, people would have to use the paths the designer of the map made. You'd actually have to follow roads. I didn't have to put in invisible walls preventing people from climbing up a mountain, because one, the playertype disallowed it, and two, you couldn't corner jump up them.

If people liked being able to climb over the mountain, they could use the default playertype in their own server and they could climb mountains fine. For me, who didn't like it, I made my playertype and my design worked fine. Here, I cannot do that. I cannot make a playertype that can't cornerjump, or I at least have no way of knowing how. A simple canCornerJump pref on playertypes or minigames would be enough for me, that way people who like it for challenges can keep it, and people who don't like it being abused everywhere else can get rid of it.

It doesn't have to be one or the other (common stupid forum mentality), there can be both and it's possible to satisfy both sides. Not every update or improvement requires a sacrifice.

I do support the idea of getting corner jumping fixed.

It's a real pain to make sure that players can't abuse this glitch for an unfair advantage or getting out of the map. It's a real waste of time when I could be focused on building more stuff than sitting for hours making sure the build is exploit proof. Those who don't support this idea obviously don't build much or don't host really popular servers. It's a pain for server hosts and since it can be fixed it should be fixed.

I don't know if anyone else has thought this, but I had this thought the other day. Right now popular servers generally get 20-30+ players to get to the top of the list, while a normal server will get around 5-10 players. We average about 300(?) users a day logged into the master server. With Steam, we'll be more noticed and probably will have more players. This could mean that we have more players logged in at once and servers will get more and more popular. This means that we could average 500 or more players a day logged into the master server (at one time). Where are all those players going to go? Some might host, but most are going to join a server. This means that popular servers are going to get a huge boost in players, as well as normal servers.

Imagine, Blockland is on Steam and you're hosting a really popular server. You used to get around 20 players but now you're at 50(?). All it takes is for one player to notice and abuse a glitch and suddenly half the server is abusing this too. This instantly slaps a bad reputation on the server's build, as it is suddenly easily exploitable, and thus the server's reputation is hurt.

why? the cliffs are supposed to be sharp and blocky. i shouldn't have to sacrifice build design to work around some stupid glitch. do you suggest i do this to every wall?

For the old terrain maps, I made a playertype that couldn't climb straight up steep hills. That way, people would have to use the paths the designer of the map made. You'd actually have to follow roads. I didn't have to put in invisible walls preventing people from climbing up a mountain, because one, the playertype disallowed it, and two, you couldn't corner jump up them.

If people liked being able to climb over the mountain, they could use the default playertype in their own server and they could climb mountains fine. For me, who didn't like it, I made my playertype and my design worked fine. Here, I cannot do that. I cannot make a playertype that can't cornerjump, or I at least have no way of knowing how. A simple canCornerJump pref on playertypes or minigames would be enough for me, that way people who like it for challenges can keep it, and people who don't like it being abused everywhere else can get rid of it.

It doesn't have to be one or the other (common stupid forum mentality), there can be both and it's possible to satisfy both sides. Not every update or improvement requires a sacrifice.

Dude there are such things as the render settings in the wrench menu lol.

Just put ramps that don't show.

just because a host doesn't want people corner jumping up there doesn't mean he doesn't want people up there in the first place. the people who are up there are then either unable to get down due to invisible walls or are walking and floating on what seems to be nothing. it gets incredibly ugly, the only time i'd actually want to use invisible walls is maybe as an absolute border to the map for precaution.

i don't see why you are trying to argue against something that would benefit a lot of people without any loss on your end, it could easily be a playertype pref.

Don't be dumb guys, there's no reason why it shouldn't be fixed. It shouldn't be there in the first place, and people shouldn't have to spend a bunch of time completely escape-proofing their builds

Keep in mind that it's possible to do this up any wall and what about areas where people are supposed to be allowed to access, just not by corner(AND WALL) jumping?

You can place 1x1x5 wedges in the corners, they will prevent people jumping up the corner.

You can place 1x1x5 wedges in the corners, they will prevent people jumping up the corner.
You're missing the point though, people shouldn't have to do any of these workarounds for an exploit in the first place

There's a good side and a bad side to exploits, from what i hear, jumping up walls just to get an advantage over others outshines jumping up walls for challenges, thus the bad side shows more than the good side

People will find ways to improve their challenges or host their server with an add-on that allows them to climb walls, i think there are several items and/or playertypes that have that exact capability