Author Topic: 2013/12/01 - Blockland r1908  (Read 59041 times)

You're missing the point though, people shouldn't have to do any of these workarounds for an exploit in the first place
yeah i'm pretty sure that's been mentioned at least 5 times by now and they're still suggesting the hard way.

ITT: people not wanting to get a gameplay-breaking bug fixed because ???

ITT: people not wanting to get a gameplay-breaking bug fixed because ???
this

like really there's no real argument against this getting fixed because the suggestion to make this a toggleable pref is already been put forth.
now the only thing that seems to stop this from happening would either be devs not wanting to get on this or this being a residual problem of collision detection in torque, and so will only get fixed when vehicles are fixed.

You can place 1x1x5 wedges in the corners, they will prevent people jumping up the corner.
And all the flat walls too right?

Because people can jump up those too.

just because a host doesn't want people corner jumping up there doesn't mean he doesn't want people up there in the first place. the people who are up there are then either unable to get down due to invisible walls or are walking and floating on what seems to be nothing. it gets incredibly ugly, the only time i'd actually want to use invisible walls is maybe as an absolute border to the map for precaution.

i don't see why you are trying to argue against something that would benefit a lot of people without any loss on your end, it could easily be a playertype pref.
But do you loving understand what I am talking about?

ON THE TOP OF THE CORNER, PUT A RAMP THAT IS HANGING OFF THE EDGE SO THEY GET REFLECTED OFF. NO WALLS. NO INVISIBLE ROOFS.

Just to point out that you didn't understand me. Sure, a player type could be fine, but if you don't want players jumping up walls, why now make that a player type? Think about it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:30:02 PM by Swat 3 »

But do you loving understand what I am talking about?

ON THE TOP OF THE CORNER, PUT A RAMP THAT IS HANGING OFF THE EDGE SO THEY GET REFLECTED OFF. NO WALLS. NO INVISIBLE ROOFS.
1. Maybe it ruins the look of the build, and if it's invisible, people could stand on it if they got up there the way they're supposed to.
2. Still doesn't account for flat wall jumping.
3. Takes a lot of work for big builds, especially ones that aren't just a big square box.
4. Also boosts up the brick count.

id consider it a game feature at this point, if you cant design a wall that prevents people from jumping up it you're not trying hard enough

id consider it a game feature at this point, if you cant design a wall that prevents people from jumping up it you're not trying hard enough
too bad it doesn't just apply to walls. it can apply to landscapes and other builds as well. i shouldn't have to design everything i build like i'm some kind of siege architect just to prevent a glitch that should be either removed or toggle-able. it can remain a game feature, but just have an option to toggle it.

because brick-damage is toggle-able, i don't have to worry about whether people will be able to abuse things by blowing them up. i can just turn off damage. this should apply to corner jumping as well.

Why would an exploit be toggle-able though? It's a bug, i doubt there's much control over how it works, so i don't think it's very possible nor necessary to have it be an optional thing

It should just be fixed and anyone who wants to climb walls can use one of the many add-ons that allow you to climb or move on walls

People who don't want their builds exploited shouldn't have to place a dozen of invisible ramps on every roof as there's still cases of it getting in people's ways with lower and more accessible roofs or unbalancing or ruining certain rooftops because people can stand on top of these ramps

People who want to use a bug as part their build shouldn't complain when people say they want that bug rid of, it's a bug, something that shouldn't be in the game, something that only benefits a very small amount of people, especially in a way that can just easily be replaced with even a single add-on

There are bugs/exploits that can be fun, but some are less exploitable in bad ways than others, but you shouldn't make a bug a part of your build and expect it to never be fixed or complained about when it starts being used for bad reasons more than good, because once it does get removed, you're gonna have to find a way to readjust your build or be stuck with nothing

In the end, it's more trouble to keep than it is to get rid of, there's no reason to argue about this, it's easier to use an add-on or not have builds have parts centered around an exploit than it is to unnecessarily increase your brick count or make your build harder to use or navigate just because people love to cheat and get unfair advantages however they can

Why would an exploit be toggle-able though? It's a bug, i doubt there's much control over how it works, so i don't think it's very possible nor necessary to have it be an optional thing

It should just be fixed and anyone who wants to climb walls can use one of the many add-ons that allow you to climb or move on walls
This

It is NOT game breaking, it is NOT a major glitch, and it is NOT difficult to solve.

It's likely 10x more difficult to actually fix the glitch than for you to just put in the necessary few bricks here and there to fix it.

Am I saying that's an excuse to not fix it? Not at all. I'm saying it's not really worth the trouble to fix at the source since it's so minor, and it's not difficult to fix for your own purposes.

Except when you're trying to make something and don't want people doing it.
But it is a unique mechanic, which can be used for a purpose.
I've seen obstical courses and the like make use of it.

These are basically my thoughts. While it is a pain, the problem can usually be easily fixed with a few bricks here and there. The bug could be pretty difficult to fix for all we know

You people...

It is a bug. It should be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:40:05 PM by -Jetz- »

It is a bug. It should be fixed.
But you can't lie, there are many innovative uses for it; It's sort of become staple in movement in blockland.
An example being in the game gunz, K-Style is a fighting style that purposely exploits glitches in the engine. A while ago the devs patched it and 70% of the playerbase left the game. TL;DR that patch got revoked the next day, and now the devs completely support K-Style, and even use it themselves in game. In fact, in their new game, Gunz 2: The Second Duel, they're making an active goal to keep K-Style alive.

Some glitches end up making really cool mechanics, and I'm on the side of the people that want it. Not to mention:
It is NOT game breaking, it is NOT a major glitch, and it is NOT difficult to solve.

It's likely 10x more difficult to actually fix the glitch than for you to just put in the necessary few bricks here and there to fix it.

Am I saying that's an excuse to not fix it? Not at all. I'm saying it's not really worth the trouble to fix at the source since it's so minor, and it's not difficult to fix for your own purposes.