Wurm Online - Sandbox Survival MMO

Author Topic: Wurm Online - Sandbox Survival MMO  (Read 2635 times)

Official Site
Wiki
- some parts are outdated, still extremely useful.

Wurm Online is a totally unique, highly accessible online wilderness MMORPG that will drag you in, shake you up and down, bite you, annoy you, drive you completely mad and leave you wondering why you didn’t find it a million years ago!
Both PvP and PvE server clusters are available. On the Freedom PvE cluster, you can enjoy a peaceful life being eaten by bears in the woods. One of those servers offers opportunities to get a taste for fighting with other players, though. The Epic PvP cluster offers a lot of opportunities to fight and compete with other players. It also has bears, so watch out! You can transfer your account between the clusters at any time, skills and items do not transfer but are kept intact.
Playing is easy. Just register for free and then download the Java client and packages by clicking on the Play! button on the site. Oh, you need Java, but there is a handy link for Java up to the right. Java is, of course, platform-independent, which means you can play Wurm on Linux, Mac, and even Windows!
Creating an account is free and you can play free of charge for an unlimited amount of time* with restricted abilities. If you want to buy premium membership to unlock high skill levels, just go to the shop and buy premium for 8€ per month any time you like. When premium time runs out, your skills get limited until you purchase premium again. It really is that simple.

What can I do in Wurm?

-Explore huge, diverse and wild landmasses extending over 512sq km in total.
-Modify the terrain; dig, mine, raise, flatten, also using gardening and planting choosing from a rich flora to further sculpt the land to your specifications.
-Persistent world where everything you create, change and affect will leave a long lasting mark for everyone to behold.
-Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village.
-Craft and use over a thousand of unique items.
-Free form multistory house building with several type of materials an color options.
-Build a wide variety of structures like guard towers, fences, statues and much more.
-Construct, crew or captain any of the six different ship types. From small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
-Capture and breed creatures from the wild and tame monsters to use as your devoted minions or pets.
-Many types of mounts, ranging from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even monsters.
-Improve infrastructure by paving roads, planting signs to connect settlements, dig wells, set up traders among many other options.
-Live off the land by creating fields to farm a wide variety of crops.
-Cook food and use alchemy with plenty of recipes, combining ingredients and recourses found in the environment.
-Full loot PvP or traditional PvE server alternatives.
-Discover and fight over religious artifacts which can trigger things like giant terraforming events to help your kingdom on the PvP servers.
-Follow and become a priest or champion of any of the four unique religions with epic deities to learn powerful spells and enchantments.
-Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
-Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics and 3 Religion Characteristics.
-200+ skill and achievement titles to earn.
-Hunt a rich fauna of creatures and monsters for experience, food and important ingredients.

...and much more!

tl;dr: Survival style game. 3D Haven and Hearth, if you've played that. Go out in the wilderness, build a shack, make tools, farm, etc. Get some buddies together and form a village. Or join an already established village.

Videos and other Cool Stuff

-Terraforming Timelapse
-Two people building a house
-Construction of a large building

Ok, I want to play.

Great! Sign up for an account on the official site and then click the "play now" button to start downloading the client. While it's downloading, consider browsing the wiki a little - it's going to be your best friend. The tutorial can be a bit tedious, but it's a good introduction to the game..

When you're at the end of the tutorial, you'll get a message about receiving your survival gear and you'll be able to go through a portal (going through a portal = choosing a server). If you choose the wrong server, you'll never be able to play with anyone from BL and will probably get bored of playing alone and quit. When you get to the portal area, look for something called "Epic Portal". Walk up to it, right click, and select "Use". Choose the Mol-Rehan Home server, Desertion. If you don't choose Desertion you won't be able to play with us.

Once you're on Desertion, contact me or Mikoyan via forum PM or Steam.

Our Village

Current Villagers
Freduqus
Battlebrain

We currently have a pretty nice settlement going, will update this section later w/ pics etc.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:38:38 AM by Fredulus »

it shouldnt be so dang hard to flatten ground and have it level to nearby tiles.

x.x

it shouldnt be so dang hard to flatten ground and have it level to nearby tiles.

x.x
heh. it's actually not too bad once you get the hang of it. promise.

I downloaded this and played it the last time you made a topic, I lost interest.  Have they updated the interface at all?  I remember it being terrible to work with.

I REALLY really wish this game was good. It is probably one of the coolest games in existence. However, you literally watch a timer count down 30 seconds and then your carpenter skill goes up by like .00026

I downloaded this and played it the last time you made a topic, I lost interest.  Have they updated the interface at all?  I remember it being terrible to work with.
yeah they've added a ton of changes since last topic. Including interface.

I REALLY really wish this game was good. It is probably one of the coolest games in existence. However, you literally watch a timer count down 30 seconds and then your carpenter skill goes up by like .00026
this is not what it's like at all at early levels lol. And if you play with other people it's much easier.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:23:04 AM by Mikoyan »

Alright I apologize, if you ever want to expand from the ql1 stuffhole you can make at low levels you have to do what I said. And that is what it's like at low levels, you just go up by like .056 per action

Alright I apologize, if you ever want to expand from the ql1 stuffhole you can make at low levels you have to do what I said. And that is what it's like at low levels, you just go up by like .056 per action

you've got it completely backwards. at high levels skill gain can be extremely slow. at first you progress quite quickly, and you're only ever in a "ql1 stuffhole" if you make all the wrong choices - for example, playing solo.

Dude I played this game for 2 years, I've got 50FS and 70Digging/mining. The game is literally a grind

Dude I played this game for 2 years, I've got 50FS and 70Digging/mining. The game is literally a grind
huh? we were talking about skill gain at low levels. you were incorrect. especially in the case of epic servers, which have a new skill curve that makes lower level skills gain much faster.

I understand, however. A grind is still a grind that is what im saying. You quickly get to level 20, grinding, and now you have to pay to continue the grind.

aaahfggfjsd i liked this game a lot but i haven't been able to get it to work for a while

i kinda dont mind grinding in certain sandbox type games.

especially when you can pretty much do anything at any time from the start, and grinding only improves it.

i kinda dont mind grinding in certain sandbox type games.

especially when you can pretty much do anything at any time from the start, and grinding only improves it.
I have the same attitude, but I have aspirations to do things like make boats and things like that. And when I think about how much time it will take me to actually make it i just dont feel like playing anymore

im super excited to make boats n stuff

man ill be a sea wolf
i'm gonna become a sailor sometime later in life