Author Topic: is sharing unused keys ok?  (Read 1063 times)

I have an old key that i never really used after the whole sale in 2012, and a friend of mine asked if i had any for them to use. is there anything i have to do so it'll be allowed or is not allowed at all?

note: he wants to register the key for steam

I'm assuming that it's a pretty bad idea.  Badspot says somewhere (forgot where) why it's the case.

dont give it to him
it probably has a low ID

You never used it? That means no IP is linked to it.
I think if you throw it in the steam linking thingy it'll work.

You never used it? That means no IP is linked to it.
I think if you throw it in the steam linking thingy it'll work.

never really used

Seems uncertain.

I'd assume it's alright, but make sure with Baddy first.

A key gets revoked if it is constantly changing IPs. If you no longer use it and give it to just one person and do not use it again its fine. But if they give it to someone else and it starts constantly interchanging sucks for them.

Ok, thats a relief

Seems uncertain.
as in i never used it ingame

if you just never mentioned this thread at all and just gave it to him to use badspot wouldn't have ever cared to check. now you probably cant ever do it.

if you just never mentioned this thread at all and just gave it to him to use badspot wouldn't have ever cared to check. now you probably cant ever do it.
Now badspot will be just so mad he will do more work than needed and check all keys bought by this guy and if they ever go under a different IP address to revoke them!

Realistically if the key is being used by a constantly changing IP it will be noticed by some system that automatically checks. Doing a manual revoke for a supposed key that has never been used is more work than needed and badspot would probably not just because of a forum thread.

you won't be banned for it because it doesn't have two ips linked to the key so in theory you aren't naturally sharing the keys

but it can be a bad idea for the other guy, because you can deactivate the key whenever you want. or use it

I've bought several keys for friends and have never been confronted with a ban and neither have they. Just make sure you don't login with it and you'll be fine.

thanks guys, I'll just make sure i hadn't used it