Author Topic: Bones' guitar damage and restoration  (Read 4819 times)

Always judge a guitar by its sound and playability over its appearance. (As long as the sound of this guitar wasn't damaged as well, in your case)

Why is this relevant in this thread? It's a guitar he's had for years, and the paint chipping was to no fault of his own. He has to either repaint it or not. Looks are all this thread is pertinent to.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:57:24 PM by ShadowsfeaR »

Wow, I could never strip the paint of my Strat, I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

You saved all of the shielding paint inside the routing right?

The inside is the same. i is not dumb

Always judge a guitar by its sound and playability over its appearance. (As long as the sound of this guitar wasn't damaged as well, in your case)
he wasn't judging it by appearance though? he loves the guitar and wants it to look good since he cares about it. you should judge a car by how it runs and not how it looks but dude, let's be honest: no one wants to drive a car that looks like total stuff.
taking care of your stuff and keeping it in good condition is important.

So how long until operation complete

So how long until operation complete
No matter how he decides to finish it, any type of paint will take a few weeks to full cure before he can use it.

Though you should do a psychedelic paint job like Eric Clapton's Fool SG

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:41:30 PM by dorkdotdan »

I'm good. I like classy

Did some more scraping and sanding.

I think a dark stain might look really good unless you want to do something super fancy

How'd you get the paint off of the neck? did you have a profiling tool?

How'd you get the paint off of the neck? did you have a profiling tool?
It looks like the paint there has cracked off as you can see the serial code clearly.

i misread the title as "bones' brain damage" and i thought it was extra funny because he was in the air force

but i mean damn how loaded were your parents to get you a $1200 guitar at 16? :x

It looks like the paint there has cracked off as you can see the serial code clearly.
I mean at the part you play, it seems lie it would be hard to remove paint from that curved surface without a scraper that matched the neck profile (60s slim taper I think).

When heated, nitro comes off in sheets. Most of the time. One small scrape, and I can usually grab the edge and pull off a bit.

A little tip, that wood needs a veneer, I suggest a light varnish.
looks nice though.

-Your forum residential carpenter