Author Topic: [BP] Application: Miss Effie's Property  (Read 1167 times)

Trying to refurnish my building skills on Blockland. For a school project; I read the book "The Cat and the Coffee Drinkers" and I was told to create a picture describing the property. I made it in 3d.

The house is supposed to be taken in 1963, although I don't know my history so well so it might have things that are NOT supposed to be in 1963. This is supposed to be a large property; a farm.

I made some if it in a hurry since I was supposed to present it weeks ago but was not able to since I had power outages. So it was kind of a rush, slow pace, rush, slow pace; if you know what I mean

The barn and the greenhouse are both facades; ^^^.

Credit to Teneski for the environments, [H]eight for the trees and most of the plants (iron since I'm applying to BP.. or if that doesn't work, [H], and if that doesn't work, AoB, and if that...), the add-ons to their respectful owner, and me.

Note: I'm not the best photographer, nether does shaders work for me. And I can't hire Mr. LoL :(.

Double Note: imgur won't let me delete pictures so I have some messed up photos (I didn't preview before I submitted them)

Triple Note sorry: Note: your kind of supposed to view the pictures from bottom to top...

Review my App

You may give constructive criticism, bad criticism is bad :(

if you guys would like a tour of the house I might try and host or make a video.

can't say I like it that much, its in some hell between blocky simple style and a more detailed style which i think if you had gone either way more it would have come out much better. outsides a bit bland and is simply the one pattern, id take some time to look at pictures of houses in the style youre thinking of doing and also work on your interior detail work, including maybe some interior walls that aren't brick or the same as the outside of the house.

-also a tad reliant on outside brickpacks when they aren't really necessary in a build. I try to limit the brickpacks im using unless the build calls for it and its prominent enough to be considered necessary. this may also be because i release builds a lot and try not to tack on too much.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:59:44 PM by quadilious »

ok here's what i notice

you said you made this in a hurry. instead, you should take time to make an application

i like the plants on the terrain but if you're looking for applying for landscape its a no because there's little variation

the exterior is a little plain and the roof looks a bit weird

the interior is okay in some pictures but the detail of the floor should match with everything else in the room, not to mention that i cant see everything inside the rooms because of the pictures you took

also i dont like the fact that you used another clan's trees for your app, instead you should make your own

overall i think you should put some quality time into anything you create. its a no from me, but that doesnt mean you cant apply again

I seriously recommend you DO NOT accept Jakob.
He is a known troll/idiot who will taint the reputation of BP, one of Blockland's best clans.

Next time use your own rug design

i don't think you shouldn't accept jakob on the fact that occasionally he's been a troll. judge the build for what it is, not the character.

as for the build, its hard to give any definitive answer without better pictures. this is an issue with a lot of build applications i've been seeing recently and even though my say means nothing, I'd definitely be able to formulate a better criticism with less DOF and more clear skies.

a good build shouldn't have to reply on fancy photography to look good.

I'll be laughing so hard if BP accepts Jakob

The pictures are very blurry. I barely see anything, please include more pictures.
This house needs a lot of work, you have to add more windows, fix the walls and for god's sakes, add more details. The house looks like some scary stuff I saw from a horror movie like seriously, you hired a 8 year old to do the environment.

Here is my final conclusion,
Do not accept Jakob

Different pics would definitely be better, preferably in normal daylight. To reiterate what Conan said, dusk and night shots with warm lighting and meddling with the environment distracts from the build itself, and can even give a false impression of the quality. Get some clear shots of the house and all its rooms and spaces in daylight so we can properly judge the house itself.

Also, state what category are you applying for. Exterior? Interior?

Well, I'm not too good on exterior, but I had to put it since it was part of the project. Honestly I like just making small things, mostly interior.

i don't think you shouldn't accept jakob on the fact that occasionally he's been a troll. judge the build for what it is, not the character.

as for the build, its hard to give any definitive answer without better pictures. this is an issue with a lot of build applications i've been seeing recently and even though my say means nothing, I'd definitely be able to formulate a better criticism with less DOF and more clear skies.

a good build shouldn't have to reply on fancy photography to look good.

Thanks, I'll upload some more pictures or I could just load the whole build onto BP's server.

Next time use your own rug design

What? Just because your rug had those things coming off of it doesn't mean it's yours.

What? Just because your rug had those things coming off of it doesn't mean it's yours.

For the record I have seen this method of building rugs as early as 2008. Building method's don't exactly "belong" to people.

The exterior is nice, but the interior is just bland. I like the rug though, it adds a nice feel.

I'd say accept jakob, he seems good, not perfect though.

Jakob try harder, take more time and plan this out. I could probably beat this in under an hour.

but the interior is just bland.

The interior is supposed to be bland, thanks though.

Jakob try harder, take more time and plan this out. I could probably beat this in under an hour.

I have no doubt in your skills ;)

Nice way to do your school project thing. Honestly, if BP doesn't take the time to judge you themselves, instead of just listening to everyone else it'd be a bit upsetting. Moving on.
Fiscon's Rating :D
   I'm going to go through and explain my opinion of each image, my reasoning for this is because I feel like I can't properly rate this with the images at hand, but I will try.

Yes, I understand this was all done based on a book for your school project, but you are applying for a clan, with this in mind, I'm going to rate it without a handicap. Apply with a build solely for the clan, make time for that build as well. It can be seen as disrespectful not to do so.

Image One: I see the front of your home, but barely, can you take a close image and perhaps add an additional window above what looks to be the patio. Also, a view of this patio from the right would be nice, much like the image of your balcony.

Image Two: Ignored

Image Three: Do you have a modified texture? I believe it'd be better to submit as default because BP makes builds usually with default texture; with these modified textures my eyes are thrown off and it makes the ceiling a bit ugly for me.

Image Four: Wide window would be nicely placed in that location. Perhaps extend your balcony out and add a small seating of some form.

Image Five: Ignored

Image Six: Filler is all I see, not even a variation in ground height.

Image Seven: Beautiful

Image Eight: Need closer image. Even if it is a facades I'd still like to see any level of detail.

Image Nine: Alright, I don't have any understanding the location of this room in the house. Nor do I understand this rooms purpose. It looks like a dinning room & kitchen, but then there are book shelves. The windows coming inwards, I believe that is a design element you intended, but as interesting as it is I feel it gives off a negative feel. I believe perhaps if the windows were built with a greater height it may have changed my opinion on them, but as of the moment no.

Image Ten: Misplaced

Image Eleven: You need to take another image. Is there any interactive parts at play? The classic water switch, perhaps some water in the tub? Is that a toilet to the left?

Image Twelve: Far far to empty. The bed is huge. If you were to remove the bed and replace it with a smaller one, I see room for perhaps a desk with a computer, dressers, side tables, 'paintings' on the walls.

Image Thirteen&Fourteen: Is image nine in the barn? I have no layout of this house at all and it confuses me very much so. Are those stairs to the left? I honestly believed them to be part of the wall design. Perhaps something to make them appear more separated would be nice.  I feel like you could extend cabinets under the window by the kitchen.

Notes: I need a layout of this house, are there images of the kitchen? Closer look at barn please. What is image nine representing? Is that the inside of the barn? I'm going to give this a five. It was an interesting build enough so that I didn't stop midway through, but there is much room for improvement. Some of which I have listed and so have others, hopefully if you are rejected you show dedication and continue to try for BP after improving, but that is entirely up to you and you alone.