Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Unity (why not)
MATE
Other
None/WM

Author Topic: linux_megathread_3.pkg.tar.xz -- Post your desktop!  (Read 43629 times)

Er, why is Debian your choice? My personal recommendation is Manjaro, it's based on Arch Linux which is my personal favorite flavor of Linux and it comes ready-to-play. Debian is still easier than, say, Gentoo to install but it's going to be a more difficult user experience.
I just chose it because it said that it was the most basic one you could get. I tried ubuntu and disliked it greatly, so I wanted lighter. I'll give Manjaro a shot first I suppose.

Er, why is Debian your choice? My personal recommendation is Manjaro, it's based on Arch Linux which is my personal favorite flavor of Linux and it comes ready-to-play. Debian is still easier than, say, Gentoo to install but it's going to be a more difficult user experience.
Arch is basically the OS that makes you do literally everything.
This is good and bad for what should be fairly obvious reasons.
I'm not familiar with Manjaro, but it looks more user friendly.

If you want a really user friendly OS, go with Ubuntu. I don't recommend it for anything other than that though - I'm running Debian and Crunchbang myself, simply because they're so much lighter weight than Ubuntu.

Another thing to note is that Arch uses different utilities than Debian - specifically the package manager. On the other hand, they're pretty much the same, just some minor syntax differences.

I personally think Debian is more "straight forward" than Arch, but I've literally never used Arch, so yeah.
Okay. So before I actually dual boot this stuff I wanna try it out first. Is there anything I need to know before installing Debian on a VM?
Nah. Download it and slap it on a VM. Try to use it for some dev work or whatever. Then try a live boot and take advantage of the spare resources.
I just chose it because it said that it was the most basic one you could get. I tried ubuntu and disliked it greatly, so I wanted lighter. I'll give Manjaro a shot first I suppose.
Debian is lighter than Ubuntu by far. What didn't you like about Ubuntu?

What didn't you like about Ubuntu?
I think it would be easier to state what I did enjoy about it. It might've just been my personal experience with it but it's screwed me over on multiple occasions.

Let me list a few:
  • Many, many incompatibilities (including the inability to use my video card)
  • Slow as all hell (To the point where if I tried to open the task manager I would be forced to restart and opening Chrome took 15 seconds)
  • Proved impossible to dual-boot with until I wiped the drive
  • Stopped working completely, gave me nothing but a purple screen on startup and just hung there.

I literally could not learn to use linux on it. It was impossible to use at all.

Sounds like my experience with Ubuntu.

Uh, how do you actually get Manjaro? I don't see any .iso's.
Wait, you clone the Manjaroiso repo and build it yourself? Cool, but damn if I have any hardware that can compile an OS without running for 5 days straight. Why can't we distribute compilation among multiple devices again?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:50:56 PM by Lugnut »

Uh, how do you actually get Manjaro? I don't see any .iso's.
Wait, you clone the Manjaroiso repo and build it yourself? Cool, but damn if I have any hardware that can compile an OS without running for 5 days straight. Why can't we distribute compilation among multiple devices again?
Ehm, you just click on the link Trinick gave ( http://manjaro.org/ ) and click on Get Manjaro. ( http://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/ ) Then select your build. I already have it running on a VM, this is cool.

i remember a few months ago on distrowatch manjaro, an arch-based distro got more hits than arch linux, the original distro did lolol

Manjaro takes the complicated out of Arch. There's no complicated install procedure, no configuring everything from scratch, none of it. You just get to use the awesome ArchWiki and Arch User Repository which are second to none utilities exclusive to Arch Linux.

Ehm, you just click on the link Trinick gave ( http://manjaro.org/ ) and click on Get Manjaro. ( http://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/ ) Then select your build. I already have it running on a VM, this is cool.
Oh, you click on Get Manjaro, not any of the dropdowns.

I want to use Manjaro with awesome window manager. Should I go with something like openbox or xfce installed already and replace it, removing the original, or use the presumably significantly lighter weight "minimal net" version and save my piddly 1mbps bandwidth? I imagine installing from the minimal version will entail all kinds of X-server nastiness and dependencies and config that is just too much work, yeah?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:08:09 PM by Lugnut »

Oh, you click on Get Manjaro, not any of the dropdowns.
Yeah that confused me at first too. I like this already though, looks promising.

Yeah, the minimal one is half the size of the openbox one. I don't want to wait for 300 spare megabytes to download. Would it be faster AND not too much trouble to just get the lightweight one and try to get awesome wm running?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:12:09 PM by Lugnut »

I imagine installing from the minimal version will entail all kinds of X-server nastiness and dependencies and config that is just too much work, yeah?

Quote from: Manjaro
However, it is in keeping with our user-friendly philosophy.

It won't be too hard.

Code: [Select]
pacman -S xorg-server
pacman -S xorg-startx
pacman -S awesome
echo "exec awesome" > ~/.xinitrc
startx

Or, better yet, follow the ArchWiki guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesome

It won't be too hard.

Code: [Select]
pacman -S xorg-server
pacman -S xorg-startx
pacman -S awesome
echo "exec awesome" > ~/.xinitrc
startx

Or, better yet, follow the ArchWiki guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesome
Well stuff, looks like I know what the next 300 megabytes I'm downloading are gonna be.

Unfortunately I know basically nothing about linux whatsoever, what would drive a man to name a command pacman :(

Unfortunately I know basically nothing about linux whatsoever, what would drive a man to name a command pacman :(
Package Manager.

EDIT: You're just jealous of my pacman eating candies.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:20:47 PM by $trinick »

I might try manjaro again, what can I do to not forget up my drivers this time, like I've listed before I have a nvidia gtx 770