Author Topic: Kalphiter's latest and stupidest rant  (Read 33965 times)

You're focusing on technical minutiae that are completely unimportant.  This is one of the pitfalls of game dev - you need to work with what you have.  "I need X technology to make a game" is one of the lies people tell themselves so they don't have to try. 

Let's try a real world example:
Rising lava is a gamemode.  It's kinda fun but has some problems.  You would probably say that the problem is the water system isn't good enough and that Badspot needs to update the engine and make the water rise smoothly or code fluid dynamics or something.  Badspot won't do that, so you just throw up your arms blame all your problems on Badspot.  Why even bother working on a mod at all if Badspot won't "fix" the engine right?

What you really should be doing is refining the gameplay within the limitations of the tech you have.  You're stuck with planar lava with kind of dodgy movement.  Ok.  What's a gameplay problem?  Well everyone gets stuck in the staircase.  Why?  Because everyone wants to get to the roof of the skyscraper.  Why are they doing that?  It's the only safe spot.  Hmm, maybe there should be more than one safe spot.  Maybe the lava shouldn't always go to the top of the map so lower spots can be safe.  Maybe lava should go up and down.  Maybe announce how high it's going to go so people can plan where they're going to escape to.  Maybe give people something to collect so they have a reason to come down off the buildings - coins or something (gems?).  Maybe a lava proof suit powerup?  Maybe a rowboat that catches on fire after a bit?  Maybe a lava shark? 

Do you see how changing mindsets leads to actually developing a game? 

I agree with you Badspot.

Heedicalking should understand that this is a community driven game, a single developer isn't going to cater to all of his needs.

Plus, in-response to Heedicalking it's stupid of you, expecting ONE person to update a game monthly/weekly to again, cater to all your needs.

Most of us know you're working really hard to improve this game. I don't think Heed knows what it's like to even develop something, even something small, it's a big challenge.

People are dense and there is no use trying to get through to them, the 1% will always complain. Just ignore them unless they have something useful to say.

I spent the last year working on a 2D rougelike. I made the game engine from scratch, and fine tuned everything to what I wanted. It's still not finished. If you think game development is easy, forget you.

i would pay 200 dollars right now for tecknic expansion :D

We still haven't got any information about that appearant upcoming update :(

We still haven't got any information about that appearant upcoming update :(
There's going to be an update?

Kalphiter is summarized as

forget YOU: THE PERSON

Oh, one thing everyone is forgetting about: The bot update.

The bot update actually did add engine changes. If you download v20 and try to make bots work, they won't work. The bot update added systems for it to do so. It also added features people had wanted for a very long time, and implemented them in a way that made it easy for people to add their own bots to the game. Badspot did that.

This specific page makes me cringe...

Oh, one thing everyone is forgetting about: The bot update.

The bot update actually did add engine changes. If you download v20 and try to make bots work, they won't work. The bot update added systems for it to do so. It also added features people had wanted for a very long time, and implemented them in a way that made it easy for people to add their own bots to the game. Badspot did that.
The bot update was a good one, but there needs to be more events to go along with it. Around as many as the old bot event mod had.

You're focusing on technical minutiae that are completely unimportant.  This is one of the pitfalls of game dev - you need to work with what you have.  "I need X technology to make a game" is one of the lies people tell themselves so they don't have to try. 

Let's try a real world example:
Rising lava is a gamemode.  It's kinda fun but has some problems.  You would probably say that the problem is the water system isn't good enough and that Badspot needs to update the engine and make the water rise smoothly or code fluid dynamics or something.  Badspot won't do that, so you just throw up your arms blame all your problems on Badspot.  Why even bother working on a mod at all if Badspot won't "fix" the engine right?

What you really should be doing is refining the gameplay within the limitations of the tech you have.  You're stuck with planar lava with kind of dodgy movement.  Ok.  What's a gameplay problem?  Well everyone gets stuck in the staircase.  Why?  Because everyone wants to get to the roof of the skyscraper.  Why are they doing that?  It's the only safe spot.  Hmm, maybe there should be more than one safe spot.  Maybe the lava shouldn't always go to the top of the map so lower spots can be safe.  Maybe lava should go up and down.  Maybe announce how high it's going to go so people can plan where they're going to escape to.  Maybe give people something to collect so they have a reason to come down off the buildings - coins or something (gems?).  Maybe a lava proof suit powerup?  Maybe a rowboat that catches on fire after a bit?  Maybe a lava shark? 

Do you see how changing mindsets leads to actually developing a game? 

you seem to be responding to the wrong person. i never said that i wasn't making things because of limitations, that was chrono. chrono was the one who stated that he lost interest in modding due to the limitations. I'm not talking about making existing things work within the limits, i'm talking about what could be allowed if there were engine changes made to the game. I don't see how you can dismiss a working boat vehicle and technic bricks as "unimportant technical minutiae".

Rising lava is a gamemode that works the same way it does in any other game.
Moving platform/physics challenge is something that flat out isn't possible yet in this game.

There is no reason to be explaining this to me, because I do exactly what you are trying to explain. If I gave up because the game didn't allow for certain elements, I wouldn't still be playing the game. I'm talking about adding some additional elements because it would allow for new things, not just improve upon existing things. Your example of fluid dynamics is really far-fetched as well, as I don't think there is any game that supports it, compared to something like a moving platform/elevator which most modern games support.

Sure this is a good way to get away with not updating the engine, but this doesn't excuse the plethora of bugs that still exist. As I said before: loading takes too long, you have to ghost all bricks to save (even on your own dedi), and the brickcount could use a raise. I don't see how these can be dismissed as trivial.

you seem to be responding to the wrong person. i never said that i wasn't making things because of limitations, that was chrono. chrono was the one who stated that he lost interest in modding due to the limitations.
And even then, it's mostly the bugs. I could not fathom how to stop people from corner jumping or how to stop vehicles from going through bricks. Those are the two biggest issues of the game.

Corner jumping can be easily fixed by putting invisible bricks in the intersections of each brick -- which is why it happens (you cannot corner jump up a super-wall or cube). Like how Badspot said, stop whining about limitations when the problem can be easily solved by placing a couple more loving bricks.

Corner jumping can be easily fixed by putting invisible bricks in the intersections of each brick -- which is why it happens (you cannot corner jump up a super-wall or cube). Like how Badspot said, stop whining about limitations when the problem can be easily solved by placing a couple more loving bricks.
I've already been over this.
It's not just 'a couple more loving bricks', considering the scale of things, among other problems. And workaroundable or not, it's still no excuse for a bug to exist. Then you throw in sandbox features into a gamemode, and suddenly you're now relying on the community to add more blocks to their own builds to stop corner jumping. And even in this environment, you don't want to give them the power to add invisible bricks, so now you're asking them to ruin their build. Then there's the areas where you do want to let people up on something, but not by corner jumping, so now you're giving them a free invisible block to stand on.

I really hope you never design a game.

so instead of fixing the stuff, we must adapt to the stuff?

well that's a great idea and all but we've been doing that the entire time