Author Topic: Kalphiter's latest and stupidest rant  (Read 33974 times)

He didn't originally post that wall of text in /r/BlocklandIsHorrible, but /r/Blockland. Then an admin removed it. So he posted it in /r/BlocklandIsHorrible. The post was not intended to promote the subreddit.
Nah, that's not what I was talking about. Kalphiter wrote elsewhere that he wanted someone to make a drama thread about his posts so that he would get more publicity, which is exactly what this thread did.

Software isn't magic.
Bzzzt Wrong!

They never reveal their secrets.

Guys, maps have been gone for nearly 2 years.  At the time they were removed, over 80% of servers used some form of slate.  Got that?  80% of servers did not use maps at all.  Most of the remaining 20% just used bedroom because it was first on the list.  

The natural course of a game is for the userbase to grow to a peak and then decrease over time.  If you want to keep the active user count up, you have to attract new users.  And guess what?  New users aren't going to play a game that looks like it's from 2001.  They're not even going to try it.  They're going to look at the screenshots and leave.

2 years.  The maps were removed 2 years ago.  The userbase did not implode.  In fact, it didn't decrease at all.  Not even a blip.  It's pretty much held steady, fighting the natural life-cycle of a game.  

In my expert opinion, if maps had not been removed in favor of improved graphics, the game would already be dead.  

Fair enough, but I used bedroom because I genuinely liked it, not because it was the default map. Most of my best game experiences happened on a non-Slate map; I adored and regularly used Ikea House, all of Pandan's race maps, Backyard, Kitchen, Amade Isles... and who can say they never had a loving blast skiing down The Slopes? And while most users probably didn't stop playing the game after maps were gone... I did.

I don't disagree with you about making the game look better so new players will buy it, not at all. I'm all for better graphics... if they're actually a significant improvement. I don't know if/what you're planning, but we don't even have water reflections, let alone bloom, HDR, motion blur, bokeh, AO, crespular rays, or other advanced effects.

I guess what I'm getting at is, in my personal opinion, the reward doesn't make up for the sacrifice. The new shading is nice, but I never even use the ground shadows/dynamic lighting -- which I'm guessing is mostly the cause of all the nastiness -- because they're too blocky looking and too inefficient.

What I would've tried to do is keep the terrain support in, load it only when necessary (ie when the server admin chooses a non-slate map), and disable dynamic lighting if you play on a map or at least give the user a performance warning if they try to use the dynamic shadows. Then, make the vanilla Slate into what we have now (the heavily customizable environment) and remove Skylands, Destruct, etc. Of course, there's still the issue of the vehicle collision, but I honestly enjoyed some of the silliness that happened from that when I was younger (and probably still would).

Of course, you may have tried this yourself at first, only to be met with an absurd amount of issues in the end, but those are my two-cents.

What I would've tried to do is keep the terrain support in, load it only when necessary (ie when the server admin chooses a non-slate map), and disable dynamic lighting if you play on a map or at least give the user a performance warning if they try to use the dynamic shadows. Then, make the vanilla Slate into what we have now (the heavily customizable environment) and remove Skylands, Destruct, etc. Of course, there's still the issue of the vehicle collision, but I honestly enjoyed some of the silliness that happened from that when I was younger (and probably still would).

Of course, you may have tried this yourself at first, only to be met with an absurd amount of issues in the end, but those are my two-cents.
no. apparently t/i were slowing down the game (take this lightly). If this is true, then keeping them in doesn't do anything to help. i honestly can't believe that people have been convinced so hard into thinking that there can only be one or the other. i'd honestly love to hear you guys tell any other developer about this story. "well we can either have good graphics or we can have landscape", its like.. wtf. there's nothing stopping terrain and shaders from working together besides the amount of effort the developers are willing to spend on the game. there's no !secret! code saying that these two things can't work together in the same game.

no. apparently t/i were slowing down the game (take this lightly). If this is true, then keeping them in doesn't do anything to help. i honestly can't believe that people have been convinced so hard into thinking that there can only be one or the other. i'd honestly love to hear you guys tell any other developer about this story. "well we can either have good graphics or we can have landscape", its like.. wtf. there's nothing stopping terrain and shaders from working together besides the amount of effort the developers are willing to spend on the game. there's no !secret! code saying that these two things can't work together in the same game.
so if there's nothing stopping terrain and shaders why hasn't the excellent, brilliant modding community made it happen yet

so if there's nothing stopping terrain and shaders why hasn't the excellent, brilliant modding community made it happen yet
oh sorry there is one thing stopping them from existing and it's badspot. that's the reason the modding community can't make it happen. that's also the reason NOTHING is happening.

I know this is only tangentially related but weren't the most popular maps using shaders though?

I know this is onl y tangentially related but weren't the most popular maps using shaders though?
Whoops sorry brain fart.

Weren't the most popular servers using maps though? All those Dogfights on slope, Pecons server, etc etc.

And there is literally no use for vehicles anymore. They're defeated by a 1 brick tall height.

Badspot

• Administrator
oh sorry there is one thing stopping them from existing and it's badspot. that's the reason the modding community can't make it happen. that's also the reason NOTHING is happening.
You paid $20 for a game and played it for 5000 hours.  I don't owe you anything.  Honestly heedical, your attitude has been stuffty for years now.  There's no rule that says you have to play one game for your entire life.  Go play something else.

to be fair, Badspot is not COMPLETELY in the wrong here

if he gave us complete modding freedom to make a huge alteration like that, there would be a lot of servers people couldn't connect to without the mod, which would fragment the userbase. the number of truly "good" servers available is quite low, and you don't want to divide that number even further

if this were to be done it would need to be hard-coded into EVERY client so all copies of the game remained compatible with each other or no one will have servers to play on and server administrators won't have any users that frequent their server

if blockland's userbase was utterly loving massive (like it is for Minecraft) that wouldn't be a problem, but it's not

You paid $20 for a game and played it for 5000 hours.  I don't owe you anything.  Honestly heedical, your attitude has been stuffty for years now.  There's no rule that says you have to play one game for your entire life.  Go play something else.

to be honest, I'd actually be willing to pay additional money to make this to happen and I'd even make a kickstarter for it if I thought it'd actually work

i would pay 200 dollars right now for tecknic expansion :D

To be honest, I think Badspot should drop development to work on other games, and put Kompressor and the modding community in charge. Whatever happens after that is collateral from the userbase having a sub-par IQ.

thats likely (besides the komp part) what is basically going on

I'll be honest that most of my modding inspiration was lost from the outstanding bugs that have existed forever.

chrono how good of a modder are you