Author Topic: Google's new attempt at stopping "loveism" activities. This time its code.  (Read 7751 times)

Not one single person has gotten it so far. And by "it" I mean the meaning behind using the word "code" and why they're talking about "tigers, cathedrals, and snowcones".

Short version: you're taking it way too literally.

Long version: Videos such as these have one purpose - to convey a message and spark interest through it. You don't do this will literal, plain language. Very few people will be attracted by that. So, what do they do? They take a word or two that has to do with the subject (DNA, code), and generalize and slightly "redefine" the word. In doing this, the word becomes more welcoming and relatable. Please realize that the people behind this aren't literally talking about simply coding stuff. Rather, they're using the word "code" as a theme to help spark the interest of women and girls to get them interested in STEM fields.

Having been in one of the world's largest STEM related competitions at multiple levels for four years now (FIRST Robotics), I can safely say that the driving purpose behind this campaign is on-track - more women and girls do need to get into STEM. On my team (and on many other teams), the ratio of boys to girls was about 20:1. That's pretty small by comparison. Why is it important that we have females in STEM fields, you ask? Well, why is diversity good in anything like this? Because variation leads to better innovation, more ideas, etc. Not to mention, we don't need the only ones who know this stuff to be men; that in and of itself is ridiculous.

So, while I admit that there could be a slightly better word choice, maybe, I don't think this was a "fail" on Google's part. Google's too careful for that, especially in something like this where a failure should be easy to avoid.

This is another reason why I hate Google.

-snip-
Google should be stoping loveisim and teaching coding as two different projects.

Also /conspiracy
I ordered a bracelet under my male name 3 times and got an error. Ordered again under "Nora" and it worked first try. My be coincidence but still, a bit fishy google.

Google should be stoping loveisim and teaching coding as two different projects.

Also /conspiracy
I ordered a bracelet under my male name 3 times and got an error. Ordered again under "Nora" and it worked first try. My be coincidence but still, a bit fishy google.
What the hell does this even mean? If they want to decrease the gender gap in computer science, the only way they're going to get it done is to create interest. I don't think you understand what the point of this project is.

Not one single person has gotten it so far. And by "it" I mean the meaning behind using the word "code" and why they're talking about "tigers, cathedrals, and snowcones".

Short version: you're taking it way too literally.

Long version: Videos such as these have one purpose - to convey a message and spark interest through it. You don't do this will literal, plain language. Very few people will be attracted by that. So, what do they do? They take a word or two that has to do with the subject (DNA, code), and generalize and slightly "redefine" the word. In doing this, the word becomes more welcoming and relatable. Please realize that the people behind this aren't literally talking about simply coding stuff. Rather, they're using the word "code" as a theme to help spark the interest of women and girls to get them interested in STEM fields.

Having been in one of the world's largest STEM related competitions at multiple levels for four years now (FIRST Robotics), I can safely say that the driving purpose behind this campaign is on-track - more women and girls do need to get into STEM. On my team (and on many other teams), the ratio of boys to girls was about 20:1. That's pretty small by comparison. Why is it important that we have females in STEM fields, you ask? Well, why is diversity good in anything like this? Because variation leads to better innovation, more ideas, etc. Not to mention, we don't need the only ones who know this stuff to be men; that in and of itself is ridiculous.

So, while I admit that there could be a slightly better word choice, maybe, I don't think this was a "fail" on Google's part. Google's too careful for that, especially in something like this where a failure should be easy to avoid.
this this this. also FIRST4LYFE

if half the population (women) aren't fully invested in computer science, that's tech companies only getting half the workers they should be getting. ideas are being developed at 1/2 the rate they should be. what google is doing will benefit society as well as the industry.

stopping loveism by promoting one love
that makes sense

stopping loveism by promoting one love
that makes sense
as opposed to letting women think computer science is a male only thing forever, thereby letting loveism exist

you're a moran

as opposed to letting women think computer science is a male only thing forever, thereby letting loveism exist

you're a moran
um....

you're a moran
I'm a huge moran

Badspot

• Administrator
Not like anybody knows how to code, let alone girls
There were better courses on coding in the loving 80s

http://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/

you're a moran
You should Bi-loveualize coding, not Feminize coding. Do you think morans understand this now?

What the hell does this even mean? If they want to decrease the gender gap in computer science, the only way they're going to get it done is to create interest. I don't think you understand what the point of this project is.
but it fails pretty badly at that since it's not actually teaching people how to program.

Women are equal, and they deserve respect. Just kidding, they should suck my rooster.

Women are equal, and they deserve respect. Just kidding, they should suck my rooster.

First of all that is never the way to treat a lady. You must treat women with the utmost respect. You shouldn't even joke about that sir. Either way your not going to get any lady to put your bird in their mouths with that kind of attitude. Unless your treating her to a nice chicken dinner, shut the forget up you insensitive prick.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:33:56 AM by RarwMuffinz »

but it fails pretty badly at that since it's not actually teaching people how to program.
I don't think you understand what the point of this project is.

You're right; I don't understand what the point of this project is.