Author Topic: Interactive Bricks  (Read 1667 times)

Interactive Bricks
Bricks in which when a player gets close, prompts the user to perform an action.
When a player gets near a brick, a small box will pop up telling the user to press a key to do something, like climbing the brick.
The brick should have these events:
onplayergetnear>player>actionprompt>E key> "Press E to climb this brick"
onplayerinteract>player>addvelocity>10
this is like sleeping dogs- when you get near a wall, it tells you to press A to climb a wall. I want this in blockland, but want it to be controlled by simple events.
This would obviously require a client and server mod to make it work. Instead of limiting the user to the light key and some bottomprint, why not make a client mod and enable all keys to be utilized and have some nice GUI when the player is prompted?

For those who don't understand what I want: An add-on that lets the player press keys on the keyboard to trigger events if the player is near a brick with the events.
When a player gets near a brick with specific events, it will tell the user something like "Press E to climb this brick". If the player presses E, certain events will be triggered.
The events can control which key the player must press to trigger the events and also control what the prompt says.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:48:23 PM by xSetrox »

Zone events for the proximity. The actual button pushing can be accomplished via onActivate, but that really isn't possible without a client mod.

Zone events for the proximity. The actual button pushing can be accomplished via onActivate, but that really isn't possible without a client mod.
I said a client mod is perfectly fine and will let the user be able to do any action with any key (if prompted to use that key, of course).
it would also allow a nice GUI to pop-up at the bottom of the screen- this will be the prompt

I said a client mod is perfectly fine and will let the user be able to do any action with any key (if prompted to use that key, of course).
it would also allow a nice GUI to pop-up at the bottom of the screen- this will be the prompt
Centerprint sounds more suitable, but a regular GUI might be nice.

Zone events for the proximity.
Even though I love Zone events, there might be a better solution.
There was that event called "OnPlayerTalk" that checked if the player typed something in chat and was close enough to the brick
This can be partially used to check proximity, if it doesn't lag too much of course.

I'll put up a link if any scripter is interested and can't find it.
I should have it here somewhere.

I thought the onplayertalk was only if they were touching the brick?
or did it have a radius around it

There's also an event that does something when you look at it.

There's also an event that does something when you look at it.

I think it was called onGaze.

VCE, toss an event like
  • onPlayerTouching>self>VCE_ifValue>[<var:pl:jetting>]==[1][1 1]
  • [0]onVariableTrue>player>addvelocity>[10]
    And zone events for the promt. No add-ons required, because if a player needs to climb a wall, they shouldn't have jets.
    However if there's different keys you would like this to do I'm pretty sure it is, or can be, implemented into VCE.

None of those are what I want. When a player gets near a brick with specific events, it asks the player if he/she wants to trigger the events by pressing the key that is set in events.
So if the set key is E, it will tell the player through a gui, "press E to climb this wall". if the player presses E it triggers the events onplayerinteract>player>addvelocity>10

Well that would require checking if clients get close to it, so a constant check, and a client-side mod that sent the server a command (I believe) to get this to work.

Well that would require checking if clients get close to it, so a constant check, and a client-side mod that sent the server a command (I believe) to get this to work.
Wrong. It would use a trigger instead of a constant check. Much more efficient. As far as the key bind thing goes, it could be done server sided if you could only choose from keys like the emote keys, jet key, light key, etc.

I believe he wants more than the usual keys, most of those can be called using VCE. He wants to detect random keys on the keyboard that (hopefully) aren't bound to anything.