If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?

Poll

Pick one!

Lua
54 (27.3%)
Python
48 (24.2%)
EMCA
13 (6.6%)
Ruby
6 (3%)
Other
77 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?  (Read 9644 times)

lua for speed
even though i hate its dumbass syntax

lua for speed
even though i hate its dumbass syntax
v8 is faster than raw lua, but it has been reported that LuaJIT is faster than v8. I haven't seen any benchmarks though.

v8
this is very nitpicky, but it's V8 (V is capitalized), as in like, 8-cylinder V-shaped internal combustion engines

At what point does it become a different game entirely?
When you change something that makes it incompatible with default copies of Blockland.

heh

'the engine is limited'
'impossible because torque engine'
'you cant change to a new engine'you still can't but close enough

rekt

Actually, the entire point of me modifying stuff using C++ is because I am changing the engine. When I write a function in C++, I'm literally adding that function into the engine. So, the entire point of this is to remove limits from the engine.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:34:25 PM by $trinick »

I'd code Blockland in bronies and furries and let the game splash in a hair and rainbow filled environment

Lua, definitely. I've been using it for exactly 662 days... 4 days from now will be interesting :).
generally Lua is really easy to use and easy to learn.

Lua, definitely. I've been using it for exactly 662 days... 4 days from now will be interesting :).
generally Lua is really easy to use and easy to learn.

Lua ~= normal programming language.

For that reason I don't like it.

Since Java is the only language I "know..."
Why isn't that in the poll?

Since Java is the only language I "know..."
Why isn't that in the poll?
It is not a scripting language.

It is not a scripting language.
*sigh*
I meant Javascript and you know it.

Javascript. Best option. I hope some know already why many disagree about python, lua, ruby, etc.

Lua. I don't exactly like it but it would make Gmod players who want to try Blockland have an easier time getting settled.

Why don't we all just start over. Hit the reset button for Blockland.
Blockland 2

I chose python but any of those choices would probably be alright.  Totally unfamiliar with ruby though.  Ruby seems more targeted at enterprise/web stuff, but I imagine it'd do the job alright.