Poll

What do you think about Fury 325?

Looks awesome! I'd ride it in a heartbeat.
Looks cool. I'd ride it.
Eh. It's alright.
Not impressed.

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Rollercoasters and Theme Parks  (Read 6726 times)

"Everybody likes a good roller coaster ride." - Pete Waterman

A (Short and Brief) Explanation on the Mechanics of Rollercoasters

Don't worry. I'm not here to bore you. According to Wikipedia, rollercoasters are "a popular amusement ride developed for amusement parks and modern theme parks." Dependent on physics, many coasters begin with a large lift hill which allows for the build up of potential energy in the ride vehicle prior to descent. The potential energy in the vehicle is then transformed into kinetic energy as it passes the apex of the hill, providing it with momentum. However, some coasters rely on the use of a launch system or auxiliary motor to propel them down the track in lieu of a conventional lift hill and chain/conveyor.

A good coaster requires a large amount of momentum to propel the ride vehicle around the track. Some coasters take advantage of low momentum to create a ride experience in which the car intentionally 'valleys,' or rolls back. So-called "hypercoasters," like Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster, are subjected to frequent unintentional rollbacks due to their height.

Roller-coaster Elements

As rollercoasters have evolved from the relatively primitive design of early steel coasters such as the Matterhorn Bobsleds, many new ride elements have been designed to increase thrill factor. Many of them involve some kind of inversion. They are listed below. All entries are from Wikipedia because I'm lazy. These are just a few of the most common ones; others can be found here.

Cobra Roll/Batwing

Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa

The cobra roll is a roller coaster inversion which resembles a cobra's head. Riders traverse forward through an upwards half-vertical loop, corkscrew perpendicular to the first direction, enter another corkscrew that merges into a downward half-vertical loop that exits in the parallel but opposite direction of the entrance. It takes riders upside-down twice. This is the inverse of a batwing.

Butterfly

Ninja, Six Flags Over Georgia

A butterfly inversion is sometimes found on Vekoma roller coasters. A butterfly begins like a normal loop, but as the track goes up it twists 45 degrees to one side or the other, and then when it is headed down the track twists back. The maneuver is then repeated but in reverse.

Corkscrew

The aptly named Corkscrew, Cedar Point

A corkscrew resembles a loop whose entrance and exit points are separated. The main difference from a loop is that riders are inverted at a point angled 90° horizontally from the incoming track, whereas in a loop, the inversion comes parallel to the track but traveling in the opposite direction.

Heartline roll

Maverick, Cedar Point

A heartline roll is a roller coaster inversion in which the rider performs a 360-degree roll. The center of the train rotates on one axis. The track changes in elevation to keep the train moving in the same line in which it entered the element. In an inline twist, a similar element, the track remains straight at the same elevation. The point of rotation is either above or below the rider's point of view, unlike a heartline roll which keeps the point of rotation near the middle.

Immelman loop

GateKeeper, Cedar Point

An Immelmann is a popular inversion found on many roller coasters. In an Immelmann, riders enter a half loop and then go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction in which they came. The inversion is very similar to the sidewinder. A sidewinder consists of a half loop and a half corkscrew and comes out closer to 90°, while the Immelman comes out in more of a straight line back to where it started.

Loop

You know what the forget this is I'm not explaining.

Top hat

Full Throttle, Six Flags Magic Mountain

A top hat (also known as top cap) is an element common to launched coasters. A standard top hat consists of what is essentially a hill with a 90 degree ascent and descent; the train exits going in the same direction from which it entered. The track twists and the train does not go upside down. Some top hats do not include a twist, such as the one above.

Other Rides
Written and curated by Theportalmaster

Theme Parks have loads of cool rides other than roller-coasters, most of which are designed for literally making you feel sick so you'll buy more overpriced bottled water in the park. Either way, these rides tend to have more quirks and original features than your standard coaster.

Teacups

Spinning Spider, Legoland Windsor

If you enjoy spinning for hours on end, you'll be glad no one queues up for these rides. Generally, the rider sits in a teacup on top of a circular floor, which is attached to an even larger circular floor, in which both spin 360 degrees. Some teacups include a small circular wheel to spin even faster if you are insane enough to want for some reason.

Drop Towers

Tower Of Terror, Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World Resort

These rides are fairly simple and involve dropping the harnessed riders from varying heights on a tower, and can go either up or down. Some may include other parts to the ride than the free falling, with a notable example shown above.

Water Rides

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios Resort

Water rides involves the vehicle being propelled by the flow of the water, although they are usually assisted by a pulley or other mechanics around turns and whilst going uphill. Generally when people think of water rides they think of Log Flumes, although there are other types of water rides

Dark Rides

Pirates of the Caribbean, Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World Resort

Practically almost every ride in Disney World. These rides are generally slow-moving rides such as ghost trains which incorporate story telling, although a lot of Dark Rides include fast-moving sections. Dark Rides don't actually have to be dark though almost always include indoor elements.

Motion Simulators

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, Universal Studios Florida in Ditto

The quick-time events of Themeparks. These rides make the riders feel the effects of a moving vehicle whilst a video is displayed on screen, usually used for story telling, and sometimes even use "4D" effects. Generally these rides don't move, although some rides incorporate these elements into them.

Users' Favorite Rides

Post your favorite roller coaster, and I'll display it here in the OP!

Myself: Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball), Universal Studios Florida
MackTheHunter: Thunder Run, Canada's Wonderland
blockguy: Woodstock Express, Kings Island
ZombieDude: Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
Brickmaster: Millenium Force, Cedar Point
Cynic: Millenium Force, Cedar Point
auzman466: Afterburn; Intimidator; Nighthawk, Carowinds
Ravencroft: Excalibur, Funtown Splashtown U.S.A.
Sideswipe: Revenge of the Mummy; Transformers: The Ride, Universal Studios Hollywood || LEGO Technic Test Track, LEGOLAND California
BluetoothBoy: Diamondback, Kings Island
TomTheGeek: American Eagle, Six Flags Great America
Deoxys And One Noob: Steel Eel, SeaWorld San Antonio
Couatl: California Screamin', Disney's California Adventure
*FacePalm*: Manta, SeaWorld San Diego
Skig: Mr. Freeze, Six Flags St. Louis
rigel wants to get off mr. bones' wild ride
Skateaton: ShieKra, Busch Gardens Tampa
Theportalmaster: Space Mountain, Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom || The Incredible Hulk, Universal Studios Islands of Adventure
Alyx Vance: The Voyage, Holiday World
hillkill: Maverick; GateKeeper; Magnum XL-200; Millennium Force; Mantis, Cedar Point
Blockaium: GhostRider, Knott's Berry Farm
Georges: Firehawk, Kings Island
Zanaran2: Fahrenheit, Hershey Park

Starting Out

It's not easy to get into riding coasters, no matter your rationale. A lot of them are honestly pretty extreme, and anyone would be a little afraid of one and that's entirely okay. Not every one has nerves of steel. If you want to start riding coasters though, and don't know where to start, here are some tips.

• Learn what to expect. Steel coasters are going to provide a smooth ride experience, but allow for more complex elements than older wooden coasters. If you're afraid of straight drops, look for tracks with a curved drop or a B&M pre-drop. Knowing height, ride time, and track length may also help calm your nerves.
  • Start out small. Don't expect yourself to go onto a hypercoaster like Formula Rossa right away. Woodies are a good pick for beginners, as they are usually not inverted.
  • If a ride makes you anxious in general, don't worry about it and just sit it out. Your heart may be saying to go, but your brain may be asking for a break; listen to the latter.
        On the Ride:
  • Make sure you're comfortable, and that the harness is snug but not too tight. Sit back in the seat, and whatever you do: DON'T LEAN FORWARD. If you feel the harness is too tight, uncomfortable, or you're unsure of its safety, call one of the ride attendants over or signal to them. They'll usually stop the launch sequence and help you readjust your harness.
  • If you grow anxious during the ride, try your best to keep your eyes open. Closing your eyes out of fear can lead to disorientation and nausea, which will certainly cause you to vomit. Focus on a stationary object, like the back of the seat in front of you.
  • Scream! It's fun and it'll take your mind off of the ride.

Special thanks to Theportalmaster for his section on theme park rides.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:02:21 PM by Comatose »

Section under renovation.

Types of Coasters

Not every coaster is created equal. Ride experience is enhanced by how the rider is situated on the ride or by the sheer intensity of the track. Like the thrill elements above, I'll only be listing some of the most common types. For a full list, click here.

Launch coasters/Intamin Accelerators

Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point

These coasters make use of a hydraulic launch system to propel the ride vehicle down the track, rather than using a conventional lift hill and chain. Many have been made by the designer Intamin and are referred to as Accelerator Coasters due to their long, straight launch track. Several of these, such as Top Thrill Dragster (pictured above), include a top hat element at the end of the launch track. The fastest rollercoaster in the world, Formula Rossa, is an Intamin Accelerator and hypercoaster with a top speed of 149 MPH.

Dive coasters/B&M Dive Machines

Krake, Heide Park, Germany

Dive coasters, referred to often as Dive Machines by designer Bolliger & Mabillard, utilize a free fall drop element at which the ride vehicle descends at a 90 degree angle. The trains on these coasters often utilize stadium seating to give every rider a clear view of the drop ahead, though some rides such as ShieKra utilize a floorless train.

Floorless

Kraken, SeaWorld Orlando

Designed primarily by B&M, these coasters utilize a car without a floor, allowing riders' feet to freely dangle over the rail. As a result, a unique loading system is used at dispatch in which the station floor segments into several panels that retract and extend to allow riders to board the train. The aforementioned ShieKra and Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg utilize floorless trains, but are both classified as dive machines.

Flying

Manta, SeaWorld Orlando

Flying coasters seat the rider in a prone position to provide the sensation that they are flying. While many are marketed toward younger children, some are meant for older demographics.Strangely, a select few are lie-down coasters, such as Nighthawk. There are only three of these Vekoma coasters, dubbed Flying Dutchman, in existence.

Hypercoasters, gigacoasters, and stratacoasters

Nitro, Six Flags Great Adventure (left); Millennium Force, Cedar Point (middle); and the fabled Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure (right)

Hyper, giga, and stratacoasters are circuit rollercoasters with a set defintion:
  • A height of 200+ feet (61+ meters).
  • No inversions.
  • A circuit coaster with a lift hill, not a launch.

Although Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster utilize launch systems, they are still considered hypercoasters under the broad definition. Gigacoasters include a drop over 300 feet, such as Millennium Force, and stratacoasters include a drop of over 400 feet; there are only two of these in existence, Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster.

Inverted

Nemesis, Alton Towers, Staffordshire, UK

Inverted coasters are rollercoasters in which the ride vehicle runs beneath the track with seats connected directly to the wheel carriage, but are rigid in structure. The difference between these and suspended coasters is that suspended cars are allowed to pivot on a bar connected to the wheel carriage, such as Iron Dragon at Cedar Point.

Wild Mouse

Sand Serpent (formerly Cheetah Chase), Busch Gardens Tampa

Wild Mouse coasters are coasters with small cars seating 4 riders that take flat, sharp turns at relatively slow speeds. This type of coaster could be called possibly the most popular, as there are instances of it in nearly every amusement and theme park worldwide.

Wooden

The famed Son of Beast prior to closure and demolition, Kings Island

Last but not least, wooden coasters are.. well, wooden. Many do not include inversions and as a result are often recommended for novice coaster enthusiasts. However, several coasters are an exception to this, such as Hades 360 at Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park or the legendary Son of Beast (pictured above) prior to its 2006 renovation. Wooden rollercoasters are also infamous for their rough, bumpy ride. But who cares about that? It enhances the experience.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:03:04 PM by Comatose »

im sorry i never tried rollercoasters. im not excepted here :(

im sorry i never tried rollercoasters. im not excepted here :(

You should. They're an awful lot of fun.

You should. They're an awful lot of fun.
i dunt like getten dizzy
and im really scared

this is probably my favorite coaster
video
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:21:17 PM by ZombieDude² »

the woodstock express at kings island

Dude what about flying rollercoasters like Manta at Seaworld? Those things are loving amazing. Seriously, I went on Manta like 10 times and it's intense as forget.

Dude what about flying rollercoasters like Manta at Seaworld? Those things are loving amazing. Seriously, I went on Manta like 10 times and it's intense as forget.

I went on it once. I couldn't breathe going through the loop and ended up vomiting afterward. Completely worth it, though.

this is probably my favorite coaster
video

the woodstock express at kings island

Added to the OP.

Millennium Force at Cedar Point! I love that ride!

I went on it once. I couldn't breathe going through the loop and ended up vomiting afterward. Completely worth it, though.
Were you near the back seats?

literally the only benefit of living in Ohio is cedar point

Millennium Force at Cedar Point! I love that ride!

Nighthawk, Afterburn, and the Intimidator at Carowinds.
Nighthawk is a lay down ride, Afterburn is a hanging coaster that was originally themed after Top Gun, and the Intimidator has a huge drop.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:08:01 PM by auzman466 »

My favorite is the Excalibur at Funtown in Saco Maine. It's the tenth fastest wooden rollercoaster in the US and also one f the most underrated wooden coasters in the country due to it being in a small park.