Author Topic: Basketball Americans attack people in parking lot.  (Read 14683 times)

These things take time? Slavery has been over for almost 150 years now and there is no legal form of segregation anymore, so where is the progress? Any community with poverty has the problems that some disadvantaged black communities have, but it doesn't stop people from being successful. The notion that employers are still tribal is ridiculous, there will always be some who are pregidious but the majority are fair. I understand what goes on, and how terrible it can be but my ancestors, your ancestors, and many other members of our family came from poverty and moved into the middle class. It's not impossible, and it is not unreachable.
This just in: Black people haven't made any progress in America.
Heard it here live, folks.

And companies are still capable of racism, lol.

This just in: Black people haven't made any progress in America.
Heard it here live, folks.

And companies are still capable of racism, lol.

When I say progress, I mean that there still hasn't been any reasonable improvements in their communities when it comes to college attendance, family income increases, and things like that. Also how do you know that these companies are tribal? The CEO or boss could be someone of color, so how can they be tribal?

So when a white attacks a black that is a hate crime, but when it's a black attacking a white it isn't?
if the white person did it because the victim was black then yes it is a hate crime. but if you punch a black guy in the face cus he took your money, that's not a hate crime

if the white person did it because the victim was black then yes it is a hate crime. but if you punch a black guy in the face cus he took your money, that's not a hate crime

What if the black person did it to the white person because he was white? That's a hate crime.

What if the black person did it to the white person because he was white? That's a hate crime.
ya but nobody was beating up ppl because they were white

These things take time? Slavery has been over for almost 150 years now and there is no legal form of segregation anymore, so where is the progress? Any community with poverty has the problems that some disadvantaged black communities have, but it doesn't stop people from being successful. The notion that employers are still tribal is ridiculous, there will always be some who are pregidious but the majority are fair. I understand what goes on, and how terrible it can be but my ancestors, your ancestors, and many other members of our family came from poverty and moved into the middle class. It's not impossible, and it is not unreachable.
Slavery has been outlawed for a long time, but 'separate but equal' was only overturned 60 years ago. That means there's only 3 or 4 generations between now and when black people were forced to go to worse schools than white people by United States federal law. We've made great strides towards closing the employment and wage gap between white and black people, but it's still definitely there.

Any community with poverty has the problems that some disadvantaged black communities have, but it doesn't stop people from being successful.
Yes it does, the difference being that a much smaller percentage of white people are impoverished than black people. A cursory look at the statistics makes this obvious:

http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/poverty-rate-by-raceethnicity/

The notion that employers are still tribal is ridiculous, there will always be some who are pregidious but the majority are fair.
Once again, you are basing your argument on unverifiable evidence that you pulled completely out of your ass. A great body of rigorous scientific evidence has been accumulated over the last 40 years regarding workplace discrimination by race and loveual orientation. The overwhelming consensus is that it's still a major problem, even if it's seemingly subconscious at times.

I'll even provide you with a bibliography of contemporary sources showing this if you aren't willing to research it yourself.

I understand what goes on, and how terrible it can be but my ancestors, your ancestors, and many other members of our family came from poverty and moved into the middle class.
No, pretty much every economic benefit I have dates back to some advantages my ancestors had. My grandmother married my grandfather, an Anglo-Saxon. His ancestry sources back to some of the original English colonies, which were also the colonies that reaped immense economic success from the suffering and enslavement of the millions of ancestors of modern day African-Americans. I don't know your ancestry well enough, but mine seems to support pretty much exactly what I said about how impoverished families produce impoverished offspring, and wealthy families produce wealthy offspring.

After all, America is a melting pot (well at least that was what it was suppose to be), in which all people unite as one.
I think your understanding of modern American society is warped by stuffty history textbooks that whitewash the lasting effects of poverty. The United States is not a land of equal opportunity by any means.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:58:06 PM by SeventhSandwich »

My mom is also an Anglo Saxan Protestant, and her family came to this country over 200 years ago from Sweden for opportunity and they found it, anyone can do it. America is a place where opportunity is everywhere, the American dream is still there.

My mom is also an Anglo Saxan Protestant, and her family came to this country over 200 years ago from Sweden for opportunity and they found it, anyone can do it.
So you're saying that because your mom's family immigrated to the US from Sweden 200 years ago, you have the same opportunities as people whose ancestors were kidnapped, shackled, and sent into a life of forced labor 200 years ago?

I don't mean to detract from an evidence-based argument like this, but you are legitimately loving handicapped.

My mom is also an Anglo Saxan Protestant, and her family came to this country over 200 years ago from Sweden for opportunity and they found it, anyone can do it.
if they're white. and christian. I'm not sure how you think what you just said proves him wrong

if they're white. and christian. I'm not sure how you think what you just said proves him wrong

What do you mean if they're white and Christian? Also he hasn't said anything wrong, but everything he's said is completely out of proportion and I don't know if he realizes how biased his side of the argument is.

What exactly are you trying to say? No offense but I honestly don't know what you are saying

What exactly are you trying to say? No offense but I honestly don't know what you are saying
your mom comes from a white christian family. the very people this country was created for. it is by no means surprising that they found opportunity

When I say progress, I mean that there still hasn't been any reasonable improvements in their communities when it comes to college attendance, family income increases, and things like that. Also how do you know that these companies are tribal? The CEO or boss could be someone of color, so how can they be tribal?
You're wrong?

http://www.professu.com/black-women-are-ranked-the-most-educated-group-by-race-gender/ (highly questionable, but I'll fact check)
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

Gonna pull up more in a minute, don't worry

What do you mean if they're white and Christian? Also he hasn't said anything wrong, but everything he's said is completely out of proportion and I don't know if he realizes how biased his side of the argument is.
Pretty much the entire immigrant population entering the North American colonies was Protestant, meaning that your mom's ancestors had basically no ethnic or racial characteristics that would cause them to be marginalized or discriminated against in society. But you think that they had the same socioeconomic advantage as people who entered the America with no belongings, no family members, and were forced into hard labor for decades? Holy stuff, it's like you completely lack any form of cultural relativism whatsoever.

I don't know how your thought process works in deciding that your ancestors, who had the most desirable ethnic and religious heritage for an average immigrant, faced the same challenges in finding opportunity versus slaves.  Like, what you're saying right now is so loving stupid that I can't comprehend why anyone would think of something like that.