Author Topic: Creation of game with the TGE  (Read 10072 times)

There are several. My favorite so far is called Plastic, it's the most backwards compatible of what I've seen. Some people who want a more advanced system use MegaZeux, but it's much more complicated and has an entirely different programming language.

Basically, Plastic does what previously could only be done with hacks and work-arounds: Player transport, Objects that change their own color, Custom controls, and random numbers.

It also adds things which would have been virtually impossible to do in ZZT, like a custom sidebar, changing anything into a programmed object, objects that can be stepped on, integer variables, and custom designs for any object. You can have fake walls that look like carpet, solid walls that look like paintings, and breakable walls that have big cracks running down the middle.

And all these extras use a Plastic-OOP that incorporates all the ZZT-OOP commands you already know! No need to start from scratch! Plastic even runs most ZZT games with no changes whatsoever!

Yeah, I'm thinking of switching. But I'll still use ZZT when I want a minimalist challenge.

Rofl, plastic is terrible. Seriously.

So you're saying ZZT is better? Or do you think they're both pointless? Because I would recommend Plastic to someone who is already proficient in ZZT but wants a few more options.

I'd recommend MZX. It may be more complicated, but that's like saying sitting is easier than walking, they're both very simple even if one is slightly more difficult it's a lot better.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:30:50 AM by Game master pro »

To each her own. I tried MegaZeux but it introduced too many new concepts at once and I got confused. Plastic is less powerful than MegaZeux but it lets me use all the old commands I learned from ZZT, so it's an easier transition for me.

Eh, I suppose. But Plastic is awkward and slow, not to mention inefficient. The language may be something you know, but robotic doesn't take long to learn.

You know robotic? Can you explain to me how a "sprite layer" works? It seems important but I can't find a good robotic tutorial anywhere to explain it.

I do know it, the basics. I haven't used MZX for a good year or so and I'm rather rusty. I suggest just asking on DMZX where the people know what they're doing, mostly.

I tried once, but DigitalMZX seems to alienate me worse than z2 does. I should probably go back there and try again. I'll do that now.

Good luck with that, after they upgraded the forum I haven't been able to log on or even register a new account for some reason so I'm not sure how far you're going to get in your quest.

I just went back now. I registered a while ago to post a simple question, so I didn't run into any problems there. I haven't tried posting yet, but I was able to log on and look at the replies to my question, which suggested isolating each command and testing it until you know what everything does.

Hey all.
Hey Lex.

Over the past several months I have decided to apply for a course in game development at university for next year. Before I was to begin the course (which I may start in 2009 if I take a gap year) I would like to have some game development projects under my belt.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking the same, in fact, I am currently developing two games right now.

Blockland has always struck me as being a highly entertaining game with a highly modifiable engine and it's ease to add your own content. Over the next few years I would love to create a game with these same qualities and wanted to ask a few questions to the Blockland community to help me.
Yes, Blockland is easy to mod. I'm sure any of these people could help you.

Yes, I could make my own mods for BL but the creation of my own game is the point of this topic. I have emailed Badspot various times but have never had a reply; I'm assuming he's busy.
Keep your eyes on the goal. I'm not sure what Badspot is up to.

Right then:. What kind of experience may one need to begin creating a game with the Torque Game Engine? TorqueScript is meant to be based on C++ so is a working knowledge of this language essential for a project such as the one I propose? Are there other languages that would help me in any way? (I'm learning Java atm which is meant to help me ease into C++ after).
If you've played and modded RTB on v0002 for quite a bit, you could get really good at TorqueScript.
There are many resources in it, almost everything is open source. This is where I started TorqueScript, and I practiced on it for months, maybe years, with no knowledge of any kind of coding, and found it easy afterwards. I was even able to fix up my current TGE version myself with only TorqueScript knowledge.

Could you just make a game using one of the Torque specific text books available or will you need other resources? What resources do you need apart from language knowledge? Can this all be done with one person within a few years?
I've heard of a Torque guide somewhere, but I forget. I've used other user's mods and Blockland itself as a resource.

I think that this is most of my questions for now. I know most of them probably will not be answered but it's worth a try considering BL imo is one of the most successful TGE games today thus it's community should be able to help.
Blockland is successful, and I still plan not to be a part of it. I am only at these forums incase I see something interesting like drawing Wedge a face, and because my good friend uses this account for the AoT section.

Much appreciated for any constructive reply.

Lex

Hope you have a good time.

Chrono

Wow thanks for that response Chrono. Do you have any links to the work your doing on these two games?

I've not actually started anything yet as I've been busy with school and advertising my site etc...

You should join ma forums and chat about it, the link is around here somewhere. I don't want to post it again cuz certain people like to bitch to me about it.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Im buying TGE soon :D

Why? Seems a waste of $100 if you don't know TorqueScript or C++.