Author Topic: Steam Account Trade Scam Warning  (Read 2731 times)

I know these are nothing new, I just wanted to keep you all posted on the latest almost clever attempt to phish steam accounts. Here is the message I received. Note the URL he sent—steammommunity.com instead of the legitimate steamcommunity.com URL.

I did not click the link. I've reported the profile, but just in general, be smart about this stuff. Obviously. Best wishes, everyone!


Why is there so many of these going around lately?

Why is there so many of these going around lately?

No idea. It's actually the first one I've ever been personally faced with after almost 6 years on Steam.

steam mommunity i'm loving laughing


Two of my real life Steam friends are under the hands of phishers :(

People who fall for these should be thankful that its just a steam account and not anything serious. Its a great life lesson



i got a phish link saying "steamCORNunity" once

Why is the English always so crap! Its so easy to spot them:
 - If they are level 0
 - No games played
 - Hardly any friends
 - Instantly msg you when you add them

Steam should just create a little hovering pop-up that appears if you place your cursor over a link to the actual steam community website. Just something to verify that the link is genuine.
Then the fake mock links wouldn't have the bubble pop up and you'd know it wasn't real.
And it would only need to work for steamcommunity.com links, so it's not annoying/invasive when you hover over any other links.



Getting these now. Got it twice last night

Wait a second. Does the Mac version of steam use Mac window buttons? Why doesn't it do that for any other OS?

OT: I got one from steannconnnumity.com

Wait a second. Does the Mac version of steam use Mac window buttons? Why doesn't it do that for any other OS?

OT: I got one from steannconnnumity.com

Not sure why, but yeah...I've always had mac window buttons. It's something built into this version of Steam, because they're actually out of date...so the integration of Mac ui elements isn't native.

Latest native Mac OS X design:
Steam's mac button design:

(the latest Mac button got rid of the shiny quality)