Teneksi's Showroom

Poll

No poll at the moment.

Author Topic: Teneksi's Showroom  (Read 99896 times)

Will you make a car which will be similar with the "Stretch" limo from GTA:SA?
EDIT: NVM I misread as GTA:VC

I hope we get a Blocky 80s pickup like the one in the poll, it's about time Blockland gets a pick-up truck :P

The only other blocky pick-up we had was from TheTurtorn but it was a private mod to a DayZ thing which was never hosted and it died, so rip

I hope we get a Blocky 80s pickup like the one in the poll, it's about time Blockland gets a pick-up truck :P

The only other blocky pick-up we had was from TheTurtorn but it was a private mod to a DayZ thing which was never hosted and it died, so rip
What about Barnabas' '65 Buck Pickup. It wasn't 80s but it was indeed blocky and pickup.

What about Barnabas' '65 Buck Pickup. It wasn't 80s but it was indeed blocky and pickup.
Thats the only good pickup in BL though, im talking about having more than 1 would be awesome. Especially a full size, not a dinky one like Filipe's load.

That and I prefer the way 80s pickups look as well. 60s pickups just arent my style and modern ones are too sleek and huge, 80s is perfect
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:32:55 AM by Insert Name Here² »

I've discovered something.

When opaque materials are parented under the same empty shape* as translucent materials, those opaque materials stop casting a shadow. This has, until now, been nothing but a problem.

*(I name it zTransContainer so it is at the bottom of the list (being at the bottom of the list seems to help stop objects behind them appearing as brightly as if nothing is in front of them))

However, when they are parented as such, and setNodeColor is set to change their color to a translucent color (like the windows above)... they, UNLIKE similar opaque materials which are NOT parented next to translucent materials, do not cast a shadow (as before), AND THEY DO NOT prevent the appearance of bricks and other opaque materials behind them (this is what happens normally when you setNodeColor to something translucent on a material that was meant to be opaque) -- meaning that they are rendering similarly to the translucent materials.

So, in short... an object with an opaque material (like "blank") parented alongside objects translucent materials (like "glass") can have their node color set to be transparent, and they act like something between an opaque material and a translucent material.

Unlike an opaque material, they do not cast a shadow or prevent the appearance of stuff behind them (except for other transparent objects like players' visors, unfortunately, but, strangely, this only happens from certain angles??)

Unlike a genuinely translucent material, they can have a dark, tinted color (like black) without being negative (when materials are translucent+negative, shadows cast on them will invert the color, unless they're glowing, which means they will be flat color)

Possibly useful because:
  • tinted windows that aren't crap! holy wow!
  • harder to tell whether a crown victoria is an undercover cop *raises eyebrows repeatedly*

Horrific downsides (for me):
  • player visors become invisible from certain angles (and I have used a visor since day 1)
  • things inside the car which are supposed to be bright (i.e. center brake lights, police lights, also very important to me) are dimmed. There may be a way to get around this, but what I've tried so far just broke its behavior without improving anything.

These downsides are really significant, and so this is probably just an interesting side note, rather than something you can expect to see from me -- that is, unless I can find a way to make glowing police / brake lights appear brightly from underneath the windows.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:51:38 PM by Teneksi »

Woah
I'd like to take this moment to reinforce that, unless I find a way to get them to stop hiding player visors, and to not dim the lights that sit behind them, I won't choose to use these.

-nevermind lol, thought the last image was a car mirror-

makin' some progress on making it possible to use this.

oh

did I say progress

I meant (screaming and slapping of desks)

The only thing more frustrating than fixing rendering glitches is trying to use them to your advantage.
- Teneksi, 2016

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:02:21 PM by Teneksi »

EXTREME WEIGHT REDUCTION

What I've learned so far:

An opaque object (such as one with a material not marked as translucent, OR a translucent object (using material "glass" for example) which has had setNodeColor applied to it with an alpha value of anything but 1) will obscure anything which is alphabetically lower than it (In the picture below, the windows resided in aaaTransContainer, but parented alongside it was the brakelight (so brakeON was alphabetically higher in the list than windows), which is why it's visible behind the windows. Above aaaTransContainer in the list inside Blender, despite the difference in alphabetization, was the armature containing the steering wheel, so the steering wheel remained visible.)

A transparent object (one which was made with a translucent material) will essentially be ignored by everything below it alphabetically.

What I mean is, even if the object below it is physically behind the window, it will not be shaded by the window's color. It will appear as brightly (or darkly) as if the window was not in front of it.

Furthermore, these objects will not cast a shadow.  This is something I would have liked to have pinned down a long time ago.

Most of all... starting with an opaque object, or even a translucent object, and using setNodeColor to reduce its alpha value... kind of just messes things up one way or another. So, the method I described above is kind of useless. If I'm gonna use windows, they're gonna have to come from the traditional translucent materials we know and love (and by love I mean hate).

AAAHAaAAA

I'm just pasting this conversation I had because I explain it pretty thoroughly!

5:39 PM - Teneksi: ladies and gentlemen
5:39 PM - Teneksi: I MEAN
5:39 PM - Teneksi: GENTLEMAN
5:40 PM - Teneksi: ey
5:40 PM - siba: hm?
5:40 PM - Teneksi: I think
5:40 PM - siba: o
5:41 PM - Teneksi: and correct me if I'm wrong
5:41 PM - Teneksi: I loving nailed it

5:41 PM - siba: You are wrong.
5:41 PM - Teneksi: ... oh !
5:41 PM - Teneksi: well, do tell.
5:41 PM - siba: Yea uh..
5:41 PM - siba: I lied.
5:41 PM - Teneksi: what?
5:41 PM - siba: I lied about you getting it wrong.
5:42 PM - siba: I have no clue :P
5:42 PM - Teneksi: awwweee you sunofabitch
5:42 PM - Teneksi: high five
5:42 PM - Teneksi: put 'er here
5:42 PM - Teneksi: up top
5:42 PM - siba: too slow
5:42 PM - Teneksi: I loving initiated
5:42 PM - Teneksi: whatever nevermind
5:42 PM - Teneksi: um... you have no clue?
5:42 PM - siba: No clue if it does have any issues.
5:42 PM - siba: :P
5:42 PM - Teneksi: No I'm TELLING YOU
5:42 PM - Teneksi: It's TINTED WINDOWS
5:42 PM - Teneksi: You knowt he secret?
5:42 PM - Teneksi: you wanna know the secret.
5:42 PM - siba: ?
5:42 PM - Teneksi: So
5:42 PM - Teneksi: SO
5:43 PM - Teneksi: TRANSLUCENT+NEGATIVE materials. let's talk about them.
5:43 PM - Teneksi: When their material is white, they're just solid black.
5:43 PM - Teneksi: so give them a gray, and they just darken.
5:43 PM - Teneksi: so, they, like, tint the windows, right? problem is:
5:43 PM - Teneksi: when they're under shadow, they don't respond.
5:43 PM - Teneksi: The darker it is, the less opaque they look.
5:44 PM - Teneksi: Just like the "positive" translucent materials, how effective they are depends on how much light is hitting them. Except in their case, their effect is darkening. So they don't act realistic.
5:44 PM - Teneksi: your other option is "positive" translucent. You see these things all the time. It's a white sheen. It's like the window is... reverse-tinted. It's toothpasty. Try to "darken" the material, and it just becomes invisible.
5:44 PM - Teneksi: Try to make it harder to see through, the thing becomes completely white.
5:45 PM - siba: You may be the first to master transparency in DTS.
5:45 PM - Teneksi: so your options are... to make some inverted-shadows nonsense that is just visually broken, or to have our classic toothpaste-film windows.
5:45 PM - Teneksi: follow so far?
5:45 PM - siba: mhm
5:45 PM - siba: brb gotta let dog out
5:45 PM - Teneksi: now, the way to counter the behavior of the "negative" translucent material is to make it self-illuminating!
5:46 PM - Teneksi: It needs light hitting it to darken what's behind it... so, have it make its own light! Now, you have darkened windows no matter what time of day it is.
5:46 PM - Teneksi: Huge problem now though. they're flat color.
5:46 PM - Teneksi: everything behind them is just flatly darker.
5:47 PM - Teneksi: so no matter whether you're driving under the sunniest day or the darkest shadow, or contrasting between both, you don't see the difference in the window. it's just flat.
5:47 PM - Teneksi: so.... the solution
5:47 PM - Teneksi: you take the best of both worlds.
5:47 PM - Teneksi: it's deceptively simple.
5:48 PM - Teneksi: you make windows with the positive, toothpasty glass material that reflects light and responds appropriately to shadows
5:48 PM - Teneksi: and you DUPLICATE the windows, applying a self-illuminating negative translucent material.
5:49 PM - Teneksi: and you get this.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:55:05 PM by Teneksi »