Author Topic: I goofed. Badly.  (Read 2627 times)

In my first period class, we were writing on a huge poster board for a cancer patient. Most people were writing "Get well soon" while I decided to write "I hope it doesn't spread."

The class looked at me in disgust, and I didn't even have the time to explain why I wrote that. I could also tell that my crush was rather disappointed in me. All I was able to say was "If it spreads, it gets worse, right?" without being able to fully explain it.

If it doesn't spread, then it won't harm the body further and can easily be surgically removed.  Buuut I don't think that's exactly how leukemia works so...

How forgeted am I? I was planning on asking her out today but I feel like I already forgeted up too badly to ask her.

Leukemia's a blood cancer, so it does indeed spread. The issue is that your well-wish isn't exactly an orthodox one. I mean, let's be honest, it's not the best thing to say, "Hey, I hope your cancer doesn't spread and cause you more pain."

You of course know what you mean but to anyone else you're not exactly wishing them well. What you wrote isn't exactly optimistic, but rather overly realistic for the context. I know you meant well. It was just a bit of a faux pas.

EDIT: People may also misinterpret what you wrote as the patient spreading cancer to other people, insinuating that you bear some kind of ignorance toward what cancer is or something.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:34:09 AM by Comatose »

being social 101: it's only weird if you make it weird

EDIT: People may also misinterpret what you wrote as the patient spreading cancer to other people, insinuating that you bear some kind of ignorance toward what cancer is or something.
This is most-likely what they thought. I should have been more specific, then. Or probably shouldn't have wrote it in the first place.

being social 101: it's only weird if you make it weird
I tried my best.

Oof yeah leukaemia is a tough cancer.

Sometimes it's better just to go with the flow and put something simple like "Get well soon" or "We're here for you"

you werent even trying to be mean so if people are honestly getting mad then theyre just really judgemental. half of those people dont even give a stuff about the person who has cancer so they have no place to judge you for writing something with actual meaning. if ur crush doesnt like you anymore or something then honestly i wouldnt date her anyway

You shoulda' just put "rip in peace"

Not much different than saying, "I hope you die....of old age!"

It's rather insensitive or misleading even if the intentions are good. I think everyone was just expecting some sort of sympathetic statement rather than a hard-to-understand joke.

I don't see a problem. I bet they're hoping it doesn't spread too.

I think everyone was just expecting some sort of sympathetic statement rather than a hard-to-understand joke.
I don't think it's a joke. OP didn't say anything about it being a joke, either. I'm assuming they thought it was sarcasm.

if ur crush doesnt like you anymore or something then honestly i wouldnt date her anyway
I don't think that's the case, just absolute disappointment.

You shoulda' just put "rip in peace"
Now THAT would have gotten me a detention.

I don't see a problem. I bet they're hoping it doesn't spread too.
Exactly what I meant.

The people in my class even crossed out what I wrote. And when my teacher found out, she put her head in her hands, unlike a facepalm, she probably felt extremely bad after I wrote it.

No one ever understands our humor.

If you tell love or fart jokes it's hilarious.

No one ever understands our humor.

If you tell love or fart jokes it's hilarious.
Wasn't meant to be humor.

the problem people had was that your statement wasn't so much optimistic (which is the entire reasoning of "get well" cards) but ever so slightly pessimistic.

like i understand where you were going but it could have been worded differently like "i hope good health comes to you"

The way you phrased it sounded like a joke, considering this is