Author Topic: marriage equality in alabama  (Read 4120 times)

Yet it's still done by a priest in a church.
There are plenty of states that let you not have to do it by a priest in a church if that makes you feel any better

Yet it's still done by a priest in a church.
it's also done by a high ranking government official
or a captain of a ship

it's also done by a high ranking government official
or a captain of a ship
Did not know this, cool. Thanks.

Regardless of the contextual technicalities I still think the greater solution is to just take the whole thing out of state anyway. The entire opposition against gay marriage is an offense to the bastardization of what was generally considered a Christian ceremony. Doesn't matter if everyone in the entire world has got their history mixed up, if you just do something incredibly simple like changing the name to 'civil union' or whatever they're going to have nothing to bitch about.

If you still want the title you can still do it in a church under God or whatever but it'll have nothing to do with taxes or legal status or anything.

courtship is literally a universal human concept. it is not unique to christianity, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be. US culture has been historically protestant by majority, but all elements of our culture are not directly dependent on christian belief systems.

Regardless of the contextual technicalities I still think the greater solution is to just take the whole thing out of state anyway. The entire opposition against gay marriage is an offense to the bastardization of what was generally considered a Christian ceremony. Doesn't matter if everyone in the entire world has got their history mixed up, if you just do something incredibly simple like changing the name to 'civil union' or whatever they're going to have nothing to bitch about.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Doesn't matter if everyone in the entire world has got their history mixed up, if you just do something incredibly simple like changing the name to 'civil union' or whatever they're going to have nothing to bitch about.

I'm not trying to strike you people down with God's mighty rod of justice here, I'm entirely aware of people's ignorance in the subject, I'm just offering what I think is the best solution.

I'm not trying to strike you people down with God's mighty rod of justice here, I'm entirely aware of people's ignorance in the subject, I'm just offering what I think is the best solution.
Your solution is not the best, it's the easiest. The best solution is for people to be more tolerable of others.

you can't claim respect while simultaneously saying we're just ignorant.

marriage is not uniquely christian. absolutely no contention there, you can see marriage exist in literally every other culture on the planet because it it universal to culture. at the risk of sounding like an sjw, please check your ethnocentrism i'm very triggered!!!!!!!!!!!!

i apologise for the unnecessarily intense tone of this post in retrospect
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:11:56 PM by otto-san »

It would be best to educate yourself on the subject before you try to offer a solution. Marriage has been around many many many years before Christianity existed. It's been around since Ancient Greece, maybe even further back.

Your solution is not the best, it's the easiest. The best solution is for people to be more tolerable of others.

Well unfortunately tolerance is a subject I disagree with everyone on but that's an entirely different stuff sandwhich nobody wants to chew.

And what exactly is so wrong about the easiest? Obviously we don't live in a tolerant world and until everyone has exactly the same opinion on everything we're not going to. Yes it's a compromise, and I think it's a good one because it doesn't hurt anyone and everyone benefits.

you can't claim respect while simultaneously saying we're just ignorant.

marriage is not uniquely christian. absolutely no contention there, you can see marriage exist in literally every other culture on the planet because it it universal to culture.

Didn't say you were ignorant. I recognize that other cultures have their own form of marriage. I'm not as loving stupid as you're making me out to be. I'm speaking contextually as a person who lives in a home with Christian conservative parents who are against gay marriage. When you think of people who are against gay marriage, who do you automatically think of?

i apologise for the unnecessarily intense tone of this post in retrospect

thanks i was getting stressed

Or gay marriage can be legalized like it is now and you and your parents can just live with it.

No need to compromise over what a religion thinks. Separation of church and state. I'd just be happy that marriage equality didn't exist for this long.

haha yeah laws are allowed to be made you just cant have any religion say anything about it otherwise youre some insane bigot and cant participate at all ok sure yes

Didn't say you were ignorant. I recognize that other cultures have their own form of marriage. I'm not as loving stupid as you're making me out to be. I'm speaking contextually as a person who lives in a home with Christian conservative parents who are against gay marriage. When you think of people who are against gay marriage, who do you automatically think of?
i don't think you're stupid, i wouldn't ever want to assume that. i bristled up a bit because you came in aggressively, and i should have waited a bit to respond so i wouldn't risk coming across in an argumentative or generally disrespectful manner, and that wasn't right. i have no interest in disrespecting you or your beliefs; my hope is to have a meaningful discussion in which all parties can take something of value away, and that takes a lot of effort on my part, and i failed to deliver on that. my apologies.

i come from a family that's stoutly conservative, Christian, and openly against gay marriage as well. so i suppose i think of them. it's not a negative image, but it's not something i agree with. i understand that you're speaking within that context, but you're also making general statements about the nature of marriage and that requires consideration external to just this individual contextualisation.

as for "civil union" vs "marriage," i still fail to see the necessity of the distinction. they are functionally the same; "civil union" only seeks to strip the symbolic connotation that "marriage" provides. this is a very human matter, so it's hard to really speak in concretes about it, but it creates a very negative mental scenario in which the victim party is somehow unworthy of the symbol, which is what really matters. as has been said before in this topic, people don't generally marry for the benefits. they marry for the partner, and the marriage is symbolic of their love. i personally don't think it's fair to deny people that symbol on an arbitrary basis.

haha yeah laws are allowed to be made you just cant have any religion say anything about it otherwise youre some insane bigot and cant participate at all ok sure yes
You can say anything you want about it.

But the implication that what your religion thinks is supposed to take priority over decisions of citizens then you're going to have a long losing streak, lol.