Author Topic: Multiple Sclerosis Day - Spread Awareness  (Read 1354 times)

What is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic, typically progressive disease involving damage to the sheaths of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, whose symptoms may include numbness, impairment of speech and of muscular coordination, blurred vision, and severe fatigue. It is estimated that over 400,000 Americans suffer from Multiple Sclerosis.

There is some genetic factor in Multiple Sclerosis, however anyone can get it.

How does it affect people's lives?
Multiple Sclerosis is not fatal, however it is a debilitating disease. People who are diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis typically can only go for a maximum of 10 years before requiring walking aid or have trouble speaking.

Currently, there is no cure for Multiple Sclerosis and treatment can only prolong nerve damage or reduce symptoms.

What can you do?
You can raise awareness! You don't have to raise money, just wear something orange representative of the day, and join any local events that are raising awareness for this horrible disease.

The more awareness there is, the higher the chance for research to be done on finding better treatment or even a cure.

http://www.worldmsday.org/take-part-2/

If you'd like to you can donate too: https://msif.netdonor.net/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1906&ea.campaign.id=32126&ea.tracking.id=WMSDRD1
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:39:48 PM by General »

Also, I don't have multiple sclerosis but have a family member who does.

MS is really hitting hard here in Canada. It's really not a fun thing at all.

MS is really hitting hard here in Canada. It's really not a fun thing at all.
The typical trend is that northerners are more likely to get the disease, however anyone can contract it.

Yes OP I think most people are well aware of what MS is.

May is BPD awareness month

I'll be sure to ban multiple sclerosis from my server.

I think a topic trying to raise money would be better. Just telling people "Oh hey MS exists" won't get you very far, since most people have heard of it.

I think a topic trying to raise money would be better. Just telling people "Oh hey MS exists" won't get you very far, since most people have heard of it.
Yeah, like people here would actually raise money.

Also, the aim is to remind, so it is not forgotten. At least I got you guys thinking about it.

exactly. i really dislike the whole cliche of "raising awareness" for things. I get if it's something legitimate like a government coverup, and you want to raise awareness about what the government's doing, but this is something that is fairly commonplace knowledge that everyone knows about. and knowing about it doesnt really change much. the change comes in getting people to feel strongly about it in one way or another.

Nah I agree with raising awareness. If people generally don't know or care about something it tends to be shoved to the back.

MS is pretty common but there are rarer diseases with little to no support because people just don't know about them so there's no demand for treatment.

What if you put up a link to the donation page of a reputable MS cure fund? I'm sure there's people on the forum with money who wouldn't mind donating a few extra bucks. Hell even I might, despite not having much.

The page I linked allows donations, they're a charity.