Castle Crashers [dedicated server version!]

Author Topic: Castle Crashers [dedicated server version!]  (Read 27425 times)

I did say I'd make the topic!

The gamemode is about you and other players storming a castle by battling enemy bots and chipping away at the main castle wall to eventually breach inside the castle. You then climb up to the top of the tower, kill the king, and win the game. Has a cinematic ending. It also uses a day cycle, so you get to do this in the darkness of night as well.

It isn't as easy as it looks, there are bots of many different types, sizes, and weapons, from the common Swordsman to the spear-wielding Soldier.

The gamemode comes with five difficulties:
Easy Mode, for 1-8 players
Normal Mode, for 9-16 players
Hard Mode, for 17-32 players
Brutal Mode, where every player gets spears
Overpowered Mode, where every player can get any weapon

You can change the difficulty through the "/setdifficulty" or "/setdiff" commands, and you type "Easy", "Normal", or "Hard" for each difficulty respectively. If that takes too long, just type in the number "1", "2", or "3", for their respective difficulties.
For the last two difficulties, you type "Special 1" or "Special 2", or just the number "4" or "5", respectively.
If you want to do it the old-fashioned way, you can orb up to the top of the mountain where the difficulty controls are.
Changing the difficulty will restart the mini-game, so be careful!

All players have the following HP:
Players in "Easy" get 250hp
Players in "Medium" get 500hp
Players in "Hard" get 1000hp

However, the enemies are still very tough, and you'll die easily if you're not on-guard.

The default level is large and there are plenty of goodies scattered all over to make you more formidable against enemies.

If anyone is having problems with ghosting, somebody winning the game or restarting the mini-game will allow anyone to ghost.

Thanks to:
Visolator & Pie Crust: Helped me with issues concerning day cycles and server coding
Gytyyhgfffff: Created the "/setdifficulty" command
TheBlackParrot: Made a very cool Dedicated Server version of the gamemode
Mr Queeba: Hosting the public testing server for everyone
Legodude77: Gave me information on how to prevent PVP

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE GAMEMODE HERE
(mediafire, http://www.mediafire.com/download/hvmpjhvwdlyl95i/GameMode_Castle_Crashers.zip)

Other notes: Most of this was made with events. All of the special effects, bot spawning, and intro scenes are done inside the large mountain. There is some documentation as to what they do. Go ahead and look at all the events!

For your dedicated servers, there is now a different version of the gamemode made by TheBlackParrot!

here's the thing
http://www.justfilehosting.space/download.php?f=reurb

seems to be stable enough
it looks for maps in saves/CastleCrashers and music in Add-Ons/Music/CastleCrashers
It is very cool.
Note: you need to obtain the maps of the original gamemode and Flambe Fortress as well and place them in the location specified! ("saves/CastleCrashers") (It should not matter what the files are named!) or else the gamemode will not work! You can add your own music in the other location as well. ("Add-Ons/Music/CastleCrashers")

You can download the raw saves of the maps (Both maps in a .zip file, almost nothing else) HERE
(mediafire, http://www.mediafire.com/download/259j8j8e9wv9p3k/CastleCrashersMaps.zip) to be used with the dedicated server version! or maybe just for yourself!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:42:47 PM by The Resonte! »

this looks AWESOME

wow this looks cool
can't wait to play it!

really loving hard if you're going solo, lol

but with a few people it's fun as hell. great work, guys.

aw man i forgot to put a "~reserved~" incase i needed it later

~reserved~

Other levels for Castle Crashers include:
Flambé Fortress

A complex labyrinth of towers, walls, and bridges, all within a lake of lava in a hellish environment. The goal here is to get to the main tower, kill the king, and win.

The gamemode comes with five difficulties:
Easy Mode, for 1-8 players
Normal Mode, for 9-16 players
Hard Mode, for 17-32 players
Lava Mode, where you can only get to the castle by hopping on the rocks on the lava
Conquerer Mode, where almost all enemies spawn, but never respawn, so the players just have to keep fighting until they're all gone

It is currently packaged into it's own solo gamemode.
The level can be downloaded here (http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ias5zd324dcc32/GameMode_Castle_Crashers_Two.zip)
or here.

[INCOMPLETE] Japan Defense
the "castle"                                               a basic overview                                          the main bridge
I hope you like asia!
It's incomplete, but hey, it comes with a Japanese castle.

The incomplete map can be downloaded here.

Base
A build with all of the events and procedures used to create this, as well as essential map assets, including the spawn, the winning plate, and every single bot spawn, almost everything has descriptions and question blocks that shows you how everything works. You can probably make your own map simply using this system, although you'd have to build the map yourself and place all of the bot spawns.

Simply place it into your blockland "saves" folder.

The build can be downloaded here

BUGS
AND THEIR FIXES/EXPLANATIONS

Whenever I reset the minigame, the bots never spawn!

This is caused by some sort of weirdness between spawning bots. It works fine for some, doesn't work for others? Who knows.
After much toiling, an alterate version of the raw maps are available that should be able to fix this bug, if you are suffering from it. To be specific, the events always set a "bottype" as "default". This usually works, except for when it doesn't? The "bug fix" is really just all of these events being changed so instead the "bottype" is being set to "blockhead", "shark", or "horse" instead.
You can download the alternate maps HERE
(mediafire, http://www.mediafire.com/download/rulbm0oqmbcn7sp/castlecrashers_bugfixedmaps.zip)

You have to extract the maps and place them into their respective gamemode .zips, if you want to. Then delete the save.bls files in there, and rename the new maps to "save.bls", so they become the NEW "save.bls" files in there. If this explanation confuses you, there is a better guide in the downloadable file.

This also could be caused by you adding random add-ons to the gamemode.txt, which I encourage, but make sure they work with the add-ons!
Alternatively, the problem could also have been called by this SetBotType eventing problem which could've been activated by adding custom add-ons to the map. Information on this is HERE, by "Tendon".
(http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=289710.0)

really loving hard if you're going solo, lol
exploring the map will allow you to become more powerful solo
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:43:14 PM by The Resonte! »

aw man i forgot to put a "~reserved~" incase i needed it later

~reserved~

exploring the map will allow you to become more powerful solo
About that you know how there's hidden spears? Well One of my peeps got one and he could break through the cave and get out of the map... Can you fix this?

About that you know how there's hidden spears? Well One of my peeps got one and he could break through the cave and get out of the map... Can you fix this?
this has been fixed and will be updated at a later date

there's not that much you can do outside of the map anyhow

this has been fixed and will be updated at a later date

there's not that much you can do outside of the map anyhow
Thanks.

New Update! It can be downloaded here.

Changelog:
  • Added a new mode: Brutal Mode. Harder than Normal Mode, but everyone has access to the powerful spears. To play this, type in "/setdifficulty Special 1" or "/setdifficulty 4" while playing.
  • Less sharks near the rowboats spawns.
  • Players can no longer escape the caverns or the dungeon.

New Update! It can be downloaded here.

Changelog:
  • Added a new mode: Brutal Mode. Harder than Normal Mode, but everyone has access to the powerful spears. To play this, type in "/setdifficulty Special 1" or "/setdifficulty 4" while playing.
  • Less sharks near the rowboats spawns.
  • Players can no longer escape the caverns or the dungeon.
Thank you for this update!

that looks neat

edit:
was just looking at the server.cs
Code: [Select]
if( $GameModeArg !$= "Add-Ons/GameMode_Castle_Crashers/gamemode.txt" )
{
error( "Error: GameMode_Castle_Crashers cannot be used in custom games" );
return;
}
wouldn't this need to go at the top of the file instead of the bottom of the file?
it seems like it would stop parsing the file at that point if it's the wrong gamemode, but it's already done reading through the whole file
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:13:05 AM by phflack »

was just looking at the server.cs
Code: [Select]
code stuffs
wouldn't this need to go at the top of the file instead of the bottom of the file?
it seems like it would stop parsing the file at that point if it's the wrong gamemode, but it's already done reading through the whole file

that makes a lot of sense

it has been done and will be updated at a later date