Author Topic: blf, I'm having trouble deciding which high school to go to  (Read 2597 times)

Basically, it's halfway through summer and I have a choice two high schools to go to - each with ups and downs. However, due to the current state I'm in (and the way my district works - not allowing you to switch without losing status like GT) once I enter one high school, I can't change high schools. I'm stuck there for the rest of high school.

The first high school is the really rich school that you have to apply for, (where they accepted my application already) and I've had experience with the kids there, most of which are decently nice. Problem is that the school building isn't even built yet, and every single kid there is a snob that "doesn't want any of you" (in which of course they're nice, but they're also a hive mind). Not only that, but there'll be only 30 kids, and the teachers are pretty meh.

The second high school is just a generic high school with a well known gifted program. Also, most of my best friends are going there, and are really hoping that I can join as well. Also, it's much more well established, and generally has more classes (and stuff to do). The downsides, however, is that some kids can be very hostile (which I hope I can deal with). Also, some teachers are more likely not to care (but they didn't ever really, so eh)

Can anyone give me some input on this? I don't mean to sound needy or stupid, I'm just generally torn.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:50:52 PM by SetGaming »

i'd say stick with your friends

BS on the switch mid schooling, if it really came down to it with parental involvement you can transfer to another school easily.  The school district has no physical lock on where you go and either way if the one you choose is public and isn't private, you won't have any tuition or any of that bullstuff.

especially if they're ur best friends. hostile students and meh teachers wont even matter with those guys around

BS on the switch mid schooling, if it really came down to it with parental involvement you can transfer to another school easily.  The school district has no physical lock on where you go and either way if the one you choose is public and isn't private, you won't have any tuition or any of that bullstuff.

Oh, sorry, I guess I worded that badly.

The district doesn't let you transfer without losing status (such as GT, whatever) between schools.

Oh, sorry, I guess I worded that badly.

The district doesn't let you transfer without losing status (such as GT, whatever) between schools.

What exactly is "GT"?

What exactly is "GT"?

gifted/talented

it's a really stupid program that I think is exclusive to the us, but whatever

I'd go with the normal high school. I mean you got your friends and its pretty much your average high school, even if the students can be hostile at time I'm pretty sure you can deal with it easily.

I'm stuck there forever.

I'm guessing your grades won't matter then.

the first one sounds better to me, but I did online school so I wouldn't really know

I'm guessing your grades won't matter then.

Thanks for pointing that out. Changed it.

If you plan on getting into a good college, the first one
If you want to be happy, second one

The choice is yours

especially if they're ur best friends. hostile students and meh teachers wont even matter with those guys around

I'd go with the normal high school. I mean you got your friends and its pretty much your average high school, even if the students can be hostile at time I'm pretty sure you can deal with it easily.

Thanks, guys. I was thinking to go to the normal one, as well.

Personally, I really don't want to go to the snob school because I don't want to be "sheltered" during high school - as if I'm around snobs all the time, how will I ever learn to get along with normal people?

Generally living in poverty, I find snobs to be a bunch of richards that do nothing but flaunt their money and material wealth around. You'd do better to go to the generic highschool anyway, you have your friends there, and with the larger group of people there, more fun can be had.

If you plan on getting into a good college, the first one
If you want to be happy, second one

The choice is yours

Honestly, the second one also has really good programs - one of the best in the district, just not as good as the snob school. The second one allows you a program where they manage to get you an internship in a subject you like, as well as teaching you how to get a job and how to work normally.

Also, if you get decent grades, I think it'd be perfectally fine. I'm not looking to go to any Ivy League colleges like MIT or Stanford, but just a decent college.