Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 98958 times)

I'm so excited for this but at the same time I don't want my blockland to die of lag, lol
If you use the larger brick sizes for terrain, then you should be good. =) That lag graph is kinda experimental anyway lol.

daaamn, i always wanting to become a terrain guy but got lazy infact i will test this out.
ign: haloz­³ (ok yeah its not an alt seriously, i made this name up.))
Lazy builders are certainly welcome.

Hey could I become a beta tester? I could see this working very well with video production
Sure, I replied to your PM and added you to the list on the OP.

6 testing slots are still open!

how mingus how did you do that

that looks incredible

I am super excited for this mod to be finished

Can I be a tester?
I got kinda frustrated with the last one not liking me and being like "Eh, whatevz, mirroring it around 0 0, too bad, dude."
Also, using EventZones, you can make ANY brick act as a water brick. Can you make it so that's an option, having normal-bricks-with-zone-code as water? they're just  (Onminigamereset, createzone center 0, onminigame reset, zone, become water), no collision or raycasting, and rendering but with the water FX applied.

Could I be tester?  This mod seems very promising.

how mingus how did you do that

that looks incredible
Thanks, it's all based on the "Fog Ref Height" you set in the GUI. Any bricks close to that height will be closer to the color you set for those bricks. Anything below that height and closer to the ground will become more saturated / lighter, and anything above that height and further away from the ground will become darker. It seems to give a really good illusion of depth.

I am super excited for this mod to be finished
Not much left to finish at this point. =)

Can I be a tester?
I got kinda frustrated with the last one not liking me and being like "Eh, whatevz, mirroring it around 0 0, too bad, dude."
Also, using EventZones, you can make ANY brick act as a water brick. Can you make it so that's an option, having normal-bricks-with-zone-code as water? they're just  (Onminigamereset, createzone center 0, onminigame reset, zone, become water), no collision or raycasting, and rendering but with the water FX applied.
Could I be tester?  This mod seems very promising.
Sure guys, I added y'all to the list in the OP. I'll consider adding that as an option; it would be an interesting feature, but could cause serious lag when the smaller bricks are used.

this looks way better from the last PTG mod and i would very much like to be a beta tester for this

Could I test this? Terrain generation was something I always wanted in blockland, and the old terrain generator was kinda odd, but this one seems promising.

this looks way better from the last PTG mod and i would very much like to be a beta tester for this
Could I test this? Terrain generation was something I always wanted in blockland, and the old terrain generator was kinda odd, but this one seems promising.
Of course, added y'all to the list.

2 testing slots are still open! I'm hoping to send out the Beta by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

i mean ive got no expertise in this but ill gladly test it out if youve got a spot you're willing to let me have

Would love to help test this

I'd be happy to test it if you want

i mean ive got no expertise in this but ill gladly test it out if youve got a spot you're willing to let me have
Would love to help test this
Great, added to the list. =)

I'd be happy to test it if you want
We just hit the cap sorry, thanks for offering to help though.

Update: Build Loading is basically done!
This feature allows you to load your own .bls saves randomly into the landscape.

GUIs and Build Uploading:

The Build Loading GUIs allow you to choose which build you want to upload to the server - builds must be under 20,000 bricks, can be located anywhere on the map within 100000 meters of the origin, and must fit within a cubic area of 256 meters (equal to 8 64x Baseplates). Once selected, your client will gradually send the .bls file to the server, and then the server will replace all UI names with datablock names, and will calculate 3 addition files that will be used for rotating the build (items and emitters will also be rotated with the build). During conversion, the server will also calculate a bounding box around the build, and save all the files relative to various grid sizes based on the bounding box size - from 2 to 256.

Loading Builds:
Loading builds from converted files works very similar to loading a .bls save, so events, audio files, lights, items, etc. are all supported. The generator will automatically take conflicting colorsets into account, so you don't have to worry about always using the same one each time. Builds are loaded relative to each chunk; for smaller builds, only one build can be loaded per chunk.

Placement Algorithm:
Builds are loaded based on the conditions you set for each build. Not only can you set how often a save will be loaded, toggle if a specific build will be used or not, and set whether or not it will be automatically / randomly rotated. But, you can also choose where in the landscape that build will generate (i.e. terrain, shore biome, underwater, on the water surface, floating islands, mountains and in any of the 3 custom biomes). Builds will only be loaded if the conditions you left unchecked are all true (i.e., if you have mountains disabled and no mountains are present at a specific location); conditions you enable will be true by default. The generator will automatically precalculate large areas of terrain in advance, and then will flatten an area of terrain relative to the size of that build.

Flat Area Generation, Caves and Detail Bricks:

If desired, you can also enable flat area generating, which will still allow some areas of terrain to be leveled, but without generating the build on top. This was a feature recommended to make building easier for varied terrain slopes. Detail bricks will generate normally for flat areas, but will not be generated where builds are present. Also, the generator will prevent caves from intersecting flattened areas.

Flat areas work independently of build loading, so you can have either or both enabled at the same time. You can also set the frequency of flattened areas, as well as the grid range allowed for them to generate (between 2 to 256 meters). Both build loading and flat areas work for SkyLands and floating islands, and you can choose to generate them based on the highest or lowest point of the relative area they are being generated in.

Super Admin Support:
An toggle option is also included to allow non-host super admins to upload their own saves to the server, as well as to manage previously uploaded saves.

Known Issues (I'll try to fix these in time for the Pre-Release update):
-Sometimes the bottom layer of floating islands sticks out above the top layer
-Vehicles don't always stay on their spawns when builds are loaded (vehicle spawning is disabled for now)
-Flat areas and build loading can sometimes cause openings in terrain
-Sometimes builds will float when loaded for floating islands

Also, a few improvements have been applied to SkyLands for the next update. All I have left to do now is to finish GUI previewing, then I can sending out the Betas.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:51:39 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

What happened here?:

It doesnt look like anything loaded there but it still made room for it