Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 99012 times)

how are you distributing copies of this to testers? i just wanna make sure im not missing anything

...It looks okayish to me, better than it being cut out of the cliffside...
Even with the edge falloff applied, those openings would still appear in the terrain. Once I figure out what's causing the issue, it shouldn't be overly difficult to prevent it from happening. But, completely preventing those openings from appearing would be very difficult and expensive to calculate.

Wait can the total area be 8x8 64x baseplates or is it just 8 64x baseplates?
That's what I meant sorry, it's actually an area of 8x8 64x baseplates. If there was such a thing as a 512x cube brick, a build would have to fit inside it in order to be uploaded to the server.

how are you distributing copies of this to testers? i just wanna make sure im not missing anything
Once the Beta is ready, I'll start sending PMs to all the testers with the download link.

That's what I meant sorry, it's actually an area of 8x8 64x baseplates. If there was such a thing as a 512x cube brick, a build would have to fit inside it in order to be uploaded to the server.
Ok thanks for the clarification, I just checked and the city is 6x6 64x plates

maybe you can make the falloff radial and not cubic

I need a download of this.

Hey what are you gonna do now that taboo is BOS?

If he isn't going to be a tester anymore I'd be up to take his place.

Can it generate terrain like this?

[/url]

testers only for now and they're all filled

already taken a page or two ago

Ok thanks for the clarification, I just checked and the city is 6x6 64x plates
No problem. If y'all need me to increase the brick limit for saves, let me know.

maybe you can make the falloff radial and not cubic
I'll see what I can do; if I can't add a fix for the Beta then I'll try to add it for the Pre-Release.

Taboo's spot was taken by one of the last testers that volunteered. I wouldn't mind raising the cap, but it's a somewhat of a hassle messaging a large group of people at once, especially with the forum's PM restrictions.

This is just an idea, but I could try raising the limit to like 60 or 80, and then hold a build competition to fill the remaining slots. Since PTG now allows you to randomly generate your own saved builds into the landscape, submitted builds (if chosen) could be included with PTG's final release, and the owner's for those builds would be given credit and a slot for testing the final 2 versions. What do y'all think?

Can it generate terrain like this?

-pic-
It could probably generate something close to that; when ModTer support is added, you'll have an option of using only cube bricks, all ModTer bricks, or just using cubes and wedges. Hand-built terrain will also have an advantage of course. =)

Taboo's spot was taken by one of the last testers that volunteered. I wouldn't mind raising the cap, but it's a somewhat of a hassle messaging a large group of people at once, especially with the forum's PM restrictions.

This is just an idea, but I could try raising the limit to like 60 or 80, and then hold a build competition to fill the remaining slots. Since PTG now allows you to randomly generate your own saved builds into the landscape, submitted builds (if chosen) could be included with PTG's final release, and the owner's for those builds would be given credit and a slot for testing the final 2 versions. What do y'all think?
That would be very cool.  Kind of like more default saves.

Dude I'd totally enter that build contest.

That would be very cool.  Kind of like more default saves.
Dude I'd totally enter that build contest.
Great =) Would anyone else be up for a build content to win a spot as a tester?

Update: Also, GUI Previewing is just about done; I just need to finish tweaking it and adding other small changes. I ran into some problems that needed to be fixed which set me back slightly, but the Beta update will be released tomorrow!

I would be up for one
can my build be more terrain

I would be up for one
can my build be more terrain
Loading terrain within terrain would be interesting lol, but I'll list some categories builds can pertain too.

PTG is now in Beta Stage!
I'll be sending out the new update to the testers shortly; the new update will include:

Features
    - Clouds
     - Floating Islands
     - Pseudo-Equator Simulation
     - Edge FallOff (affects normal terrain, flatlands, clouds, floating islands and skylands)
     - Build Loading
     - Added option to generate details for the default terrain biome onto floating islands as well
     - Added option for permanent chunk saves, and an option for removing old saves once  one of the chunk save limits are reached.

GUI Changes
    - GUI Previewing (95% done - still need to fix cave and biome rendering; doesn't support build loading or biome details)
     - Added new Build Loading and Management GUIs
     - Expandable Mini Control Window
     - Changes made to the Chunk Manager
     - Added Noise Scale auto-fixing
     - Various, small GUI improvements
     - Added option to set a chunk to "edited" when the wrench is used and settings are applied to a brick within it (meant for chunk saving)
     - Added option to set a chunk to "edited" when a brick is painted, destroyed or printed within it
     - Added option to set a chunk to "edited" when a player brick is planted within it
     - Added option to set a chunk to be "static" when a player-planted vehicle, bot or player spawn is planted within it
     - Added option to auto-hide bot, vehicle and player spawn bricks when generated as details
     - Added the ability to enlarge various preview images
     - Included an option for setting certain chunk saves to "permanent" and added an option for removing old saves on save limit overflow
     - All GUI windows now stay in the same, relative location when switching windows
     - Added option in Biome windows to easily clear all detail bricks, prints and colors - either by detail category, for a certain biome or for all biomes.
     - Modified default delay values
     - Noise scale checks now only run for features that are enabled
     - Presets now only load into the GUI when you're on a server
     - Altered Connect Lakes to be relative to the water level and is now set with a slider (so it's easier to use)
     - Added custom GUI checkbox and scroll window profiles

Server / Console Commands and Messages
    - Added /PTGClearAll (replaces the purge function)
     - Made changes to /PTGPurge (now deletes chunk saves with chunks)
     - Added console command PTGRmt(%func); for dedicated servers (type PTGRmt("Help"); for more info and PTGRmt("List"); for all available functions)
     - Added /PTGPos (allows any player to see their current position and facing direction; can be toggled by the host)
     - Updated /PTGCmds
     - Console echos now include the bl_id of the player behind the action
     - Made slight improvements to chat notifications

Issue Fixes:
    - Fixed issue with saving / loading events for chunk saves
     - Fixed minor issue with noise scale clamp ranges and improved server-sided error checks
     - Fixed minor issue with avoiding non-existant clients for append function
     - Increased default dedicated lag check value to "100" to prevent frequent lag pauses on dedicated servers
     - Fixed preset loading issue when saving / loading between dedicated and normal servers
     - Added isObject checks for planted bricks
     - Fixed a very minor issue with creating too many deselect buttons for detail bricks categories.
     - You can now also deselect prints and details without having to load a category first
     - Added greater eval security
     - Fixed issues with mountains noise scales
     - Made very minor fixes to chat and console messages
     - Fixed snapping bricks to ground level, instead of generating bricks with a negative Z value

Removed Features:
    - Dropped Gradual Grid Expansion - Generation
     - Dropped the Simplex GUI (more complicated to include than I thought, not necessary with the inclusion of presets and would delay development)
     - Dropped the option of allowing mountains within certain biomes (may overcomplicate noise scales and isn't really necessary)
     - Dropped the option to autosave all chunks on local quit (also not really necessary)

Issues / changes to address for next update or before release (testers please don't report these):
    - Seams / openings in terrain, caves, mountains and skylands, sometimes caused by build loading (seams caused by flat area generation should be fixed)
     - Vehicles don't spawn for loaded builds (on purpose for now)
     - Bricks for the bottom later of floating islands sometimes stick out above the top layer
     - Builds generated on floating islands sometimes generate without being supported
     - Chunk size under Advanced settings needs to be snapped to a value range of 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 only (otherwise causes problems)
     - Fix plate-capping
     - Setting flat areas (and build loading?) to generate at the highest terrain point sometimes causes flat areas not to generate correctly, or at all
     - Fix cave and biome rendering (including on top of mountains) for previews (and using negative start values with caves), and tweak brick count estimate
     - Attempt to add flat area edge falloff (?)
     - Make Boundaries work with infinite terrain, add static shapes support, add invisible static-shape support
     - Finish ModTer Support (not fully functional just yet)
     - Add Events and Third Party Support
     - Fix dynamic stream brick functions
     - Auto update listed builds for all Super Admin GUIs when a build is added, edited or removed (?)
     - Edge Falloff is not compatible with the radial grid setting
     - Bricks between featues (i.e. floating islands and mountains) can sometimes conflict and cause bricks not to appear
     - Previews are slightly off when using the radial grid feature
     - Add final GUI graphics
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:16:28 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Wait we still haven't gotten the download yet?