Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 98986 times)

Oh my gosh it's amazing. I really hope people actual make use of this version.

Oh my gosh it's amazing. I really hope people actual make use of this version.

I'll use it constantly.

modter is awesome!
-pic-
Very Cool =) I can't wait to see what y'all create once this is finally released.

BTW, still working on support for generating ModTer bricks. Afterward, there won't be much left to finish - besides a few additions and small changes / fixes.

modter is awesome!
[img  width=1000]http://i.imgur.com/rQLH9Fa.jpg[/img]
that is absolutely beautiful

modter is awesome!

edit: are you planning on having any more beta testers? this looks amazing
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:43:38 PM by EcstaticEggplant »

I'm not quite sure what your motivation for doing this was, but:
In Server_Support.cs from line 1715 you are doing something to rewrite the entire brick destruction code, presumably for floating bricks, but not only is it unnecessary to do in such a fashion, it breaks stuff. Whatever brick I try to break, floating, not floating, default, not default, doing the addvelocity and fakekillbrick method not only breaks mods that rely on instant feedback, it feels unrealistic. In addition something, possibly from that section, breaks undoing the bricks, consequently breaking mods that rely on the undo stack. I'm sure this was just a hitch since you're an experienced coder, but just in case I suggest you always use default methods and not try to replicate default visual effects.

I'm not quite sure what your motivation for doing this was, but:
In Server_Support.cs from line 1715 you are doing something to rewrite the entire brick destruction code, presumably for floating bricks, but not only is it unnecessary to do in such a fashion, it breaks stuff. Whatever brick I try to break, floating, not floating, default, not default, doing the addvelocity and fakekillbrick method not only breaks mods that rely on instant feedback, it feels unrealistic. In addition something, possibly from that section, breaks undoing the bricks, consequently breaking mods that rely on the undo stack. I'm sure this was just a hitch since you're an experienced coder, but just in case I suggest you always use default methods and not try to replicate default visual effects.
Already addressed, but thanks for reporting it. That's an experimental script for preventing chain-killing floating terrain when wand-ing or planting / undo-ing bricks on the top of a column, but will be adjusted before release to apply only to generated terrain.

Update: Just thought I'd post some pics showing how terrain generates seamlessly now =) If anyone else has screenshots showing epic landscapes using PTG, feel free to post.

I would love to be a beta tester if there are any slots left!

it takes a really long time to generate the terrain

is there a way to make it generate faster?

Larger bricks.

I would love to be a beta tester if there are any slots left!
All testing slots are full right now, but there will be a build contest starting now in which you can win a testing slot if you want. =)

There was a default delay added to prevent lag spikes when using the smaller bricks for terrain, but you can disable that delay by setting the "Next Function Delay (ms)" setting to "0" under Routine settings.

Update: The "Cubes & Wedges" ModTer option is close to being done for terrain! Here's a preview of how it works for generating caves:

Also, instead of having a timed build contest and posting a new topic for it, I decided to just keep it in this topic and have it span for the remainder of the development cycle. The contest starts now, so if anyone wants to win a slot for testing the upcoming Pre-Release version for PTG, please see the OP for more info!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:03:56 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

OH MY GOD GHOST. Didn't think you meant like a GUI and everything to go with it. No wonder you said it took 2 years. I know this because the server was public before alpha testers came and I joined :)

All testing slots are full right now, but there will be a build contest starting now in which you can win a testing slot if you want. =)
Welp, nevermind, I'm really bad at building, lol.