video shows la cops shooting 2 unarmed men, killing one of them

Author Topic: video shows la cops shooting 2 unarmed men, killing one of them  (Read 4129 times)

I agree with all of that. But you wanted to "expose" these officers, as if they did something wrong and went unpunished, which has the effect of demonizing them and furthering Mean World Syndrome.
They did do something wrong and they did go unpunished. I see no problem here.

However, no, the US is most definitely not the worst country in terms of police shootings. Mexico, for example, has a hell of a lot more murder per capita than america does, and their police force is a hell of a lot worse.
Ah yes, let's settle for 'not the worst'

that is subjective and isn't factual
It is factual. It's written out clearly in the DA's report and shown int he video that the police officers thought they were reaching for guns, and justly reacted by shooting.

that was just my opinion
That was a statement which also pushed the idea that the shooting was unjust.

They did do something wrong and they did go unpunished. I see no problem here.
The cops' believed their lives were threatened by unusually suspicious behavior in a dangerous situation, and they shot the suspects after numerous quick movements towards locations where a gun could be concealed. Unfortunate and depressing? Yes? Unjustified and requiring punishment? No.

That was a statement which also pushed the idea that the shooting was unjust.
so

so
As I said earlier, it was worded as to insinuate that this shooting was unjust, and that police are being unusually violent. You didn't say "It seems like" or "in LA." You said "you get shot if you take your hat off."

Unjustified and requiring punishment? No.
Yes, taking off your hat and moving your hands is punishable by death.

Let's posit this- why did the police leave their vehicle with their guns already drawn? None of the three people there had any weapons drawn to begin with.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:56:17 PM by ZombiLoin »

Let's posit this- why did the police leave their vehicle with their guns already drawn? None of the three people there had any weapons drawn to begin with.
At the beginning of the second angle of the video, you can tell one of the suspects are reaching into their pockets for some reason, where officers couldn't see. Also, the call was placed as if someone's life was in danger. Exact quote:
GPD Officer Christopher Mendez was working as a uniformed patrol oficer. He was at the GPD station when a robbery call was broadcast via radio. The call was broadcast as a "3 beeper" priority call, meaning someone's safety was concerned.
It wasn't "some guy is riding away with my bike," they received information that someone's life could be in danger. That is a gun situation, reinforced when the cornered suspects keep ignoring orders and reaching into their pockets.

There's more to it than that and you know it. They were ignoring orders in multiple languages, running towards the officers and doing actions that would suggest they were carrying concealed weapons. The officers can't know for sure if they were actually carrying anything; there simply isn't enough information and it's simply too short a time period to contemplate the question. Their safety was in danger, they shot to make sure that they and everyone else stayed safe. To do anything else would be to risk death. And no, it is not fair to say "x's life is more important than y's life." They have a right to keep themselves safe.

There's more to it than that and you know it. They were ignoring orders in multiple languages, running towards the officers
Complete and utter bullstuff. I'm doubting you even watched the video.
would suggest they were carrying concealed weapons.
What was there to suggest they were carrying concealed weapons? What reason did the police have to come out of their vehicle with their guns drawn already?
it's simply too short a time period to contemplate the question.
Police officers often attempt to talk down suspect who have a weapon in their hand but do not aim it at the police. If they're unable to deal with this then they should get better training or find another avenue of employment
There's more to it than that and you know it. They were ignoring orders in multiple languages, running towards the officers and doing actions that would suggest they were carrying concealed weapons. The officers can't know for sure if they were actually carrying anything; there simply isn't enough information and it's simply too short a time period to contemplate the question. Their safety was in danger, they shot to make sure that they and everyone else stayed safe.
Why not have one police officer with a taser and one police officer with a pistol then? Hell, why come out with guns drawn to begin with?
They have a right to keep themselves safe.
It's their loving job to keep a cool head when under life-threatening situations. The job entails a certain degree of knowledge that you will be placed in life-threatening situations. If they're unable to deal with somebody taking off their hat then they shouldn't be police officers.

Silver lining - the hat was not harmed.

That's because there's more violent crimes, and more murder per capita in america than in other parts of the world like europe.
If by America you mean the continent, you are correct. Otherwise, you are not.

Why not have one police officer with a taser and one police officer with a pistol then?
What if the cop with the gun gets shot? and loving dies? what are you going to do with a taser?
Like i loving said. You need at least 3 cops to have one use a taser

What if the cop with the gun gets shot? and loving dies? what are you going to do with a taser?
Like i loving said. You need at least 3 cops to have one use a taser
Uh, taze the guy? Lol. Tasers generally work or they wouldn't use them at all.

They should use rubber bullets and shotguns like they do here to lower the heat of manifestations. They hurt like hell but no body damage.

Uh, taze the guy? Lol. Tasers generally work or they wouldn't use them at all.
remember, guns work in every situation if you shoot them enough