Author Topic: Getting Better at Building.  (Read 1824 times)

Hi i want to build better, but i cant find any tutorials for building better or tips like this minecraft one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVIFdGT1eY

all I can really tell you without using the bullstuff excuse "building is just something that happens" is that you'll want to look at what other people do and practice a lot, figure out what works and what doesn't

you'll also want to be humble enough to listen to constructive criticism and use it to improve your builds

all I can really tell you without using the bullstuff excuse "building is just something that happens" is that you'll want to look at what other people do and practice a lot, figure out what works and what doesn't

you'll also want to be humble enough to listen to constructive criticism and use it to improve your builds
Ok. Thanks :3

yeah don't be ashamed to get ideas from other builds. don't copy them through of course.

You can start out by building a box, maybe making it a rectangle. For this example, I'm going to use 1x height bricks with 5x height bricks, and topping it off with another set of 1x height bricks. I use these bricks to shape out a square placed on top of a 32x64 plot.

Next step I would do in making a simple house is to make a couple outside rooms. In this case, two parallel 8x16f bricks, and two 6x8f bricks on the inner side of each 8x16f brick. Lastly for this step, I cut open the walls on the interior to make the whole house one room.

Now I add rooms on the inside of the house. While making the rooms, I planned ahead of time what each room is going to be, and sized it accordingly to what each room should be sized. While doing this, I left 1x6 spaces in each room where I'll have entrances. I also added an entrance.

The house's floor plan is done, now it's time to flesh out the details. The next thing I do is add archways and doorways. Doorways consist of any type of door you want, and an arch around it. The archway I made uses a round 1x6x1 archway.

Next up is the windows. For the windows. This is the design for the windows I'm going to use. It pops out a little bit to make the outside appear less flat.

I then added the windows to the appropriate areas I deemed necessary. On the outside I decided to add 1x3 ramps on top of the window frames for added detail. This is a start to a house, and it's starting to look better than just a box.

This house is going to have flooring, so I'm going to use print plates as the floor for each room. Make a design however you like. Along with that, I added a staircase using 2x4 bricks, and I put 1x4f bricks on top of the stairs as a little bit of detail.

Now I'm going to place baseplates down for the second floor accordingly to how I want to set up the second floor. Keep in mind I want to build a balcony, so I set down a higher part of the balcony. Along with that, I threw in a back door.

Following the same idea for the first floor, I set up rooms and all that jazz. Along with that, I flesh out the balcony a bit. Lastly, I color the second floor walls for a bit more color.

Next up is the roof. The roof is going to be simple, so I start with the shape of the roof.

I copy it to the other side and add inverted ramps to the bottom of each ramp to add a trim. I also made the roof drop down one more brick.

Finishing up the roof, the house exterior is almost done!

Adding detail to the exterior is vital. The less you make your house look like a box, the better.

And that's just the start of building any sort of buildings. All it takes is practice and creativity!

Also, here's the save file for the house.

All it takes is ... creativity!
unfortunately that's a lot more complicated than practicing
I can't even copy the basic layout of houses I've lived in for years, much less actually make it look good

unfortunately that's a lot more complicated than practicing
I can't even copy the basic layout of houses I've lived in for years, much less actually make it look good

More emphasis on practice than anything. For the most part the best thing to work on is figuring out how to represent certain real world objects with bricks. Once you've got that down fairly well, building something unique suddenly becomes less daunting.

-snip-

I do just what Ike does, except I use double walls and use prints on the ceiling to make it smoother. Double walls let you have different colored rooms throughout the house, and have a different paint job on the outside of your buildings and the inside. Also, a building style that always makes your building look better is to stick with default bricks, or use the 'Blocko' style. It makes your builds look so much more professional.

Something to keep in mind when building a house is when you put your baseplate down that you think will have adequate space you may find that you picked a size that is too small.  Start large.