14 year-old makes home-made clock, arrested for 'bringing a bomb to school'

Author Topic: 14 year-old makes home-made clock, arrested for 'bringing a bomb to school'  (Read 26064 times)

I never thought Blockland Forums would devolve into the kind of stuff I see on Youtube comments, but I shouldn't be surprised.
this is hardly youtube comments level stuffflinging in 500 characters or less, but whatever.

what he did literally wasn't hard at all
he took a clock out of its case and put it into a different one

the school reacted as they would've if any student had brought such a shady looking, beeping device into school
the cops, as far as the story that's out there goes, did act out of order

everything else that happened was dumb. he's not a genius.

what he did literally wasn't hard at all
he took a clock out of its case and put it into a different one

the school reacted as they would've if any student had brought such a shady looking, beeping device into school
the cops, as far as the story that's out there goes, did act out of order

everything else that happened was dumb. he's not a genius.
I don't get why you guys keep repeating ad nauseum that the kid 'isn't a genius'. The debate here isn't even really centered on whether he accomplished a great feat of engineering.

The fact of the matter is that this wouldn't have happened if a white student brought a clock into school.

Behold, an article titled: "7 Kids Not Named Mohamed Who Brought Homemade Clocks to School And Didn't Get Arrested"

http://gawker.com/7-kids-not-named-mohamed-who-brought-homemade-clocks-to-1730999866

Funny enough, several of these happened in the months following Columbine, so your excuse about 'paranoia over school shootings' is just that much more ridiculous. (directed at SetGaming, not you Nonnel)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:49:50 PM by SeventhSandwich »

a gawker article i'm not clicking on that

no it isn't
Why not?

well at least we know you're tribal now
There was a Muslim prophet named Mohammed, and as such it is very common for Muslims to name their children that.

Quote from: SeventhSandwich link=topic=285666.msg8604137#msg8604137
The forget are you talking about? Spend a night in jail because of bullstuff charges, and then we'll see how content you are with that kind of system.
It's bad to get locked up for a day for something you didn't do.
It's worse to get locked up for your entire life and possibly executed for something you didn't do.
And I'd willingly spend a week, perhaps a month in jail, if it meant getting all the "Compensation" this person got.
seriously i had to click "post" about 3 times on this because there were replies while i was typing
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:06:15 PM by Blockchip »

a gawker article i'm not clicking on that
It's literally just a list of names and dates. The website's quality seems kind of irrelevant.

It's bad to get locked up for a day for something you didn't do.
It's worse to get locked up for your entire life and possibly executed for something you didn't do.
And I'd willingly spend a week, perhaps a month in jail, if it meant getting all the "Compensation" this person got.
Ah okay, so it's alright to falsely imprison someone and set a new tribal precedent for the police as long as someone gets some free merch once in awhile? You're an idiot.

Why not?
because there's no reason it would be? idk how to answer that question
There was a Muslim prophet named Mohammed, and as such it is very common for Muslims to name their children that.
um okay

Behold, an article titled: "7 Kids Not Named Mohamed Who Brought Homemade Clocks to School And Didn't Get Arrested"

http://gawker.com/7-kids-not-named-mohamed-who-brought-homemade-clocks-to-1730999866
weirdly enough, none of those clocks were anything like his
him not being a fantastic engineer due to this is in response to the media response and MIT calling him
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:05:20 PM by Nonnel »

because there's no reason it would be? idk how to answer that question
Okay.

Segment displays are commonly seen in media for bombs that count down, and almost every school I've heard of bans backpacks in the classroom, not overrall.
Wait what the forget? Do schools really ban backpacks in their classrooms?

maybe in weird ass mormon communes but not regular schools

I don't get why you guys keep repeating ad nauseum that the kid 'isn't a genius'. The debate here isn't even really centered on whether he accomplished a great feat of engineering.

The fact of the matter is that this wouldn't have happened if a white student brought a clock into school.

Funny enough, several of these happened in the months following Columbine, so your excuse about 'paranoia over school shootings' is just that much more ridiculous. (directed at SetGaming, not you Nonnel)

Do you still believe he should've gotten awarded, however? Do you believe he should've gotten this much attention? I'm white, and I can easily make a clock myself and stuff it in a black project box - I'm quite certain that I would get arrested, as well, at my school. What I'm saying is that for a kid so smart, he should've known not to bring a clock to school during a racially insensitive point in time. The point we're trying to make, with him not being a genius, however, is that he has no merit to "show off his accomplishments" to any teacher, as he showed all of his teachers. If he actually made the clock, and he's taking engineering classes, he has a legitimate reason for showing his clock to teachers, whether as a project or a definite accomplishment.

We don't care how smart he is, we care about the fact, that with the clock being made not of his hand, and in a suspicious looking box, it's likely he was garnering for attention. I don't care about his race, I barely care about the time he did it himself. What I'm saying is that the kid had many chances to think it through and stop himself, but he kept going and got arrested, likely as how he planned. Should I go to school tomorrow with something that ticks, is in a black box with portruding segment displays, and when I pull it out, I whisper "Allahu Akbar" and show it to each one of my teachers, then when I get arrested, I should say "oh no, it's just a clock"? I'm white, most honor students are white, isn't that racial descrimination?

he should've known not to bring a clock to school during a racially insensitive point in time.

yeah it's totally his fault he should have suspected that people would have mistaken a clock for a bomb

set what are you even talking about

yeah it's totally his fault he should have suspected that people would have mistaken a clock for a bomb

I'm saying it's his fault that he didn't think through the fact that it could've been mistaken as a bomb.