Can't connect to servers

Author Topic: Can't connect to servers  (Read 2644 times)

I don't believe that the problem is that your IP changed. Almost everyone has a dynamic IP address since statics cost more money. Plus, a lot of ISPs don't offer static IPs to residential accounts.
This can't be true.

This can't be true.
This is true. I don't know a single person that actually pays for a static IP.

since statics cost more money.
I was referring to this part.

Does it make any difference that my internet is a piece of distributed business accounts?

If my IP being changed is the problem what should I do to fix it?

I was referring to this part.
Yes, statics cost more money.
Let me try to explain why in the best way I can:

There are only so many IP addresses available. With IPv4 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), there are only about 2^32 (~4 billion possible) addresses, minus addresses reserved for stuff like local IP addresses (192.168.xxx.xxx). 4 billion is no where near enough to give every network its own IP address. This is also why many networks are trying to transition over to IPv6 (xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx) which has over 2^128 possible addresses.
Since there are only so many IP addresses available, what most ISPs do is they have a "pool" of IP addresses that aren't being used. When you turn on your router, your ISP assigns you one of these IP addresses to use until you turn your router back off. For example, one person turns on their router and they receive the IP address 78.235.7.14. They then turn their router back off. Someone else then turns on their router and now they are assigned 78.235.7.14. The advantage of using this method is that ISPs can have more customers than they do available IP addresses. The downside is that, if every IP address in the pool is already being used (which is unlikely) you have to wait for one to become available.
Because of this, if you want your IP address to be static, your ISP will charge you more.

If my IP being changed is the problem what should I do to fix it?
I can 100% promise you that your IP changing is not the problem.

I can 100% promise you that your IP changing is not the problem.
This. Unless you're using an alternative connection route like cellular data or something it should totally not be a problem.

-snip-
You seem to be more informed than me so I'll take your word for it. I was aware of how IP-s are assigned, but I remember trying to start a minecraft server a hundred years ago and one of the steps was to configure your router to a static IP.

Try plugging an Ethernet chord into your computer, then try joining a server.

Try plugging an Ethernet chord into your computer, then try joining a server.
It's a wireless connection

There are several pages of this same issue when I search for it. None of them look like they were resolved or helpful at all

You seem to be more informed than me so I'll take your word for it. I was aware of how IP-s are assigned, but I remember trying to start a minecraft server a hundred years ago and one of the steps was to configure your router to a static IP.
That's your internal network. Your IP will change whenever your PC shuts down and rejoins the network unless you configure your computer to request a static IP from your router. The issue at hand is the external IP, not the internal IP.

The reason you have to have a static IP when you host a Minecraft server is because, since players have to connect using your IP, if your IP changes, your players will no longer be able to join unless you inform them of the IP change.
This isn't the case when joining a server because, when you join a server, they're not trying to connect to you, you're connecting to them.

You will only get an authentication error if:
Your IP is banned from the master server.
Your key was revoked.
Your IP has changed while the game was running.

It was probably the third options. If for any reason, your modem disconnects you from the net, changes the IP and rejoins, you will get the auth error. Most common with dial-up modems. Trust me, this has happened to me plenty of times while I was using dial-up.

Your IP has changed while the game was running.

It was probably the third options. If for any reason, your modem disconnects you from the net, changes the IP and rejoins, you will get the auth error. Most common with dial-up modems. Trust me, this has happened to me plenty of times while I was using dial-up.
I'm pretty sure this is what happened. How do I fix it?

Depends. Are you on 56kbps dial-up? :cookieMonster: