Author Topic: Sesame Street Announces New Character With Autism, Julia  (Read 2755 times)

you guys like Sugar so much, why not Julia.

there wasnt really a need but i guess i understand

might as-well teach kids that people are different and might have disabilities or think differently at a young age

"Guys look I found a blue feather!!!!"
"That's nice Julia, now go play with some rocks"

this is discrimination wheres the gay characters? damn pigs

Sesame Street is a very left-wing Children's franchise, much like the Muppets. Not surprised they did this. Big Bang Theory did this themselves with Sheldon in a way, but they were smart to make sure it never mentioned that he actually had mental disorders. I'm concerned that if Sesame Street outright says that this "Julia" character has autism, and they show her acting a certain way in the show, it might just reinforce bad stereotypes about autistic kids. It'd be better if they had her just act quirky and simply not mention whether she has some sort of mental disorder or not. If they start putting labels on children's characters it might mislead kids to think that all characters with autism must act like Julia will. Which is not the case because autism manifests itself in a huge variety of ways. No two people with autism are the same.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:08:34 AM by Planr »

Who wants to bet on a transgender character within the next ten years

I'm worried about the coming stuffstorm of reactions in this thread that only a forum of pre-teens can muster up.

I mean it's not like this is a bad idea or anything.
Introducing kids to social issues early is how we change our society, I support this.

I'm worried about the coming stuffstorm of reactions in this thread that only a forum of pre-teens can muster up.
excuse me I have jury duty in a few days, I wish i was preteen

I mean it's not like this is a bad idea or anything.
Introducing kids to social issues early is how we change our society, I support this.
Pretty much this.