Youtube Red. Yay or Nay?

Author Topic: Youtube Red. Yay or Nay?  (Read 2199 times)

google fiber
google soul
google gravity
google earth
google mars
google moon
google cash
google robots
google food

As somebody that liked google before they started to forget up things and only care about $$$, I can say we are forgeted as human beings

but youtube is already red??

you can download adblock and you can also download youtube videos. how is this going to help for 10 dollars a month?

Because you're paying to allow content creators to still make revenue, but you don't need to watch ads. As it stands, if you use Adblock, content creators who make revenue off of ads don't make money off of you. This is a way to allow users to avoid ads but support content creators. Plus other perks and stuff for the service subscribers.

as long as it's not me, i don't care who's losing ad revenue

I just dislike the whole sectioned off portion from creators.
Are you talking about the "premium content" type stuff?
If so, blame the content creators, they're already doing this stuff on other platforms.

https://youtu.be/2v3i5pRmqI4
I didn't realize there was already details like this being released on public scale, but this summary shows basically what I was expecting, and outlines a lot of the same points. I did expect that Youtube would obviously have some incentive for/way to force people to get uploading Red content, but I didn't know if it would be through increased payrates, or if it was going to be through contracts shoehorned in on people in G+-esque fashion. The 'part of the $10 you pay goes to people you watch' bit was something I didn't think about, as I figured it would just go straight to Youtube itself instead of being split up. I wonder how they do it - maybe based on what partners you subscribe to, or what you watch(since it's common knowledge they're quite nosy in that regard), maybe?

Anyway, now that I understand more about this, and the content that's being put out, I have to say, the content itself is basically the main thing here. Everything else, like I've said, is basically crap, so whether or not Red will succeed hangs on whether or not the content uploaded onto it is good enough for it to be feasible(it probably wont look like it is, but subscribers will probably watch it anyway because they're addicted to videos of people screaming, making stuffty repeated jokes, etc.). Another note is that this is a new idea, but it seems like it's possible for there to be an interesting competitor. I'm not going to mention it yet because the idea of it is a little bit of a crackpot theory, and I haven't worked out if it's quite possible yet, but the thought is enticing.

As it stands, if you use Adblock, content creators who make revenue off of ads don't make money off of you.
Most ad blocking extensions or addons can be turned on or off, or can whitelist certain sites, directories(see: channels), or pages(videos). If someone makes quality content, then it entices the end user to turn it off and donate a little bit of their extra time. Or, in my case, I can turn off strict blocking with Ublock Origin and only non-intrusive ads will be displayed. If it's a problem that nobody knows how to turn off their adblock or whitelist pages, then maybe someone should try to raise awareness for this feature instead of trying to jam more and more intrusive ads into their site.

The other argument is that youtubers(not sure if it's all of them, this may just be a youtube partner thing) do not solely gain revenue based on ads alone(which only give them money if someone actually CLICKS(as in, visits the site of) the ad, anyway, meaning that it's balanced out by the fact that basically nobody does that anyway) - there is also a small 'pay-per-view' rate that they get(not sure what it is offhand, though) that doesn't matter on whether or not the end user has an ad blocking add-on or extension.

as long as it's not me, i don't care who's losing ad revenue

Wow, that kind of "forget the content creators" attitude will get you far in life.

Woops. Must've accidentally locked the thread last night on my phone.

Let me state one thing: i will NOT pay to watch youtube

Well, it did help Olan gain control of the Balloonshop channel again, so it might not be all bad.

Either way, all of the features they listed I already have with browser extensions so it seems like 10 bucks a month wasted. All I'll be missing is some content from Youtubers I don't give a damn about.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:49:52 AM by Mr.Noßody »

W8 HE'S GONNA USE BALLOOMSHOP AGAIM

Nerd3 did a video about it, worth a watch. Appearently it doesn't directly help the youtubers you watch, instead it puts the money in a huge pool that gets distributed among the watched channels. According to him (who has ~2,3 million subs), he would get about 0.0001% or something.

Not to mention, turning off ads? Basically, if someone who didn't have ad-block enabled buys this thinking it will be bigger support then watching ads, the content creator will get much much less revenue then if the someone just watched a 5 second ad every time. Also, they are launching the whole system in the period where the most ad-revenue is generated for gaming channels (because of all the christmas releases).

Basically youtube is shooting itself in the foot again, franctically yelling 'there is totally a benefit guys!!' while not saying a word to content creators. My guess is that either everyone will move on to Pateron and youtube is forgeted, or the system will be abandoned/shot down in a few months. Or years of loss, knowing youtube.