Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 107558 times)

Yeah but it's more of a "we need you to support this old stuff" type job than "let's make something new and exciting"
So if supporting old legacy stuff sounds better to you than making new stuff with modern tech, then sure, go for it. But that sounds dull to me
Yeah, and making video games seems like the funnest thing, but the job security there is absolute stuff. You gotta weigh the pros and cons to everything.

Yeah but it's more of a "we need you to support this old stuff" type job than "let's make something new and exciting"
So if supporting old legacy stuff sounds better to you than making new stuff with modern tech, then sure, go for it. But that sounds dull to me
Lots of job security and low stress work though. You can work with the exciting new tech on your own time at least.

Yeah, and making video games seems like the funnest thing, but the job security there is absolute stuff. You gotta weigh the pros and cons to everything.
It's not like legacy systems or game dev are the only things to choose from. There's a ton of programming stuff out there

Lots of job security and low stress work though. You can work with the exciting new tech on your own time at least.
A fair point. It's all preference, really
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:44:11 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

I realized after programming in C that I just can't stand structured programming.

So who programs in C#?

i do ;-;

I know a bit but I never have a reason to play with it.

I actually prefer to code in SQL manually than use the the awkward interface that is access 2007 for databases
an ORM is even better
for example, django's:
Blog.objects.filter(pub_date__range=('2015-06-01',  '2015-06-30')
gets every Blog in june (assuming that a Blog model exists and has been imported)
plus it works with datetime objects

from datetime import datetime, timedelta
from .models import Blog

Blog.objects.filter(pub_date__range=(datetime.now() - timedelta(days=5), datetime.now())

gets every Blog in the last five days
not to mention COBOL is a DoD project so no thx
yeah so is the internet but u see: the internet is cool
One of my methods in my rest API project at work was throwing and catching a forgetton of exceptions
in python that's the preferred way to do it

there's LBYL and EAFP

respectively:

x = '123'
if x.isdigit():
    x = int(x)
else:
    print('nevermind')

vs

x = '123'
try:
    x = int(x)
except ValueError:
    print('nevermind')
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:43:40 PM by Foxscotch »

in python that's the preferred way to do it
Python also isn't known for it's runtime performance either though so that's a tradeoff.

idk programming well but i can navigate files in a linux terminal

meme@mememachine:~$  ls
Blockland Forums
meme@mememachine:~$ cd Blockland Forums
meme@mememachine:~$ ls
Announcments   Blockland Forums   Blockland Files   Off Topic   Archive
meme@mememachine:~$ cd Off Topic
meme@mememachine:~$ ls
Off Topic   Games   Forum Games   Creativity   Drama
meme@mememachine:~$ nano Off Topic

Python also isn't known for it's runtime performance either though so that's a tradeoff.
well, it has nothing to do with the exceptions
and you can always use pypy if you wanna be obsessive about speed

It's not like legacy systems or game dev are the only things to choose from. There's a ton of programming stuff out there
I was just trying to emphasize that there's a spectrum of types of programming jobs but there's good and bad things about all of them. c:

well, it has nothing to do with the exceptions
and you can always use pypy if you wanna be obsessive about speed
Not the way of handling exceptions solely, but the way Python likes to play it loose with interpreting and handling data at large.

So who's going into Software Engineering here?

I am and it's gonna be awesomeeeeeeee

I can't wait to go to uni

]in python that's the preferred way to do it
Catching exceptions is "preferred" when it prevents something from breaking
But catching exceptions when you can prevent them from being thrown in the first place is never preferred
And using exceptions as part of normal program flow is terrible because of the performance (as evident by the 100x speed increase when fixed) in c# (and python, too, according to this thread )

"When the usual case is no exception, try/catch is "extremely efficient" when compared to LBYL."
that's why it's better

I don't know how you could use a try/except block as part of normal flow, unless you're intentionally raising tons of exceptions where you don't need to. there's no reason for most normal things to raise exceptions, so you wouldn't even have an opportunity to catch anything

if you're going to want to do something like respond with a 400 error, you're gonna need to "check" it one way or the other, and try/except is better