Author Topic: war on the middle east  (Read 6275 times)

I think we shouldn't have disbanded the Baathist Iraqi army, considering a good number of them were left unemployed, marginalized, and later joined CIA as a result.

They do not actually care about muslims, they care about persecuted minorities
even if this were true, which i don't know - maybe it is, i don't see how it would matter. what's the problem with caring about persecution of minorities?

yeah because killing the leader of a nation and leaving without even trying to install a government to fill the inevitable power vacuum is a better idea
Oh, I think I forgot to put a part in my original 'hump n' dump' post

I meant
Go in, kill sadam, fix some stuff up, get out

Don't stay there for over 10 years costing us millions/billions

red spy god loving damnit

Oh, I think I forgot to put a part in my original 'hump n' dump' post

I meant
Go in, kill sadam, fix some stuff up, get out

Don't stay there for over 10 years costing us millions/billions
we tried that

it didnt work

even if this were true, which i don't know - maybe it is, i don't see how it would matter. what's the problem with caring about persecution of minorities?
Because they don't really care about the religion, they only perceive them as persecuted because the right-wing media demonizes them, although, to my knowledge and "calculations", the general population does not hold these views. Perhaps they are persecuted, but not on a societal scale. It's also just that it's exclusively muslims, not just religions in general.

war in the middle east
Which one? We've got the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the Syrian Civil War, the Iraqi Civil War, and the border conflict between Pakistan and India, and those are only the ones I can name off of the top of my head.

personally I think we ended up screwing a country by falsely accusing a leader
Uh, which leader are we talking about? We want to depose Assad, and we did depose Saddam, so that's two leaders we've accused. Neither of which we 'falsely accused', in the sense that they are/were both indisputably guilty of human rights abuses.

Getting rid of Saddam was a terrible idea because we made a power vacuum and created the current state of Iraq, which is plagued by insurgencies/CIA/etc. But to claim that we 'falsely accused him' is ridiculous. His regime was extremely tyrannical, and the list of his human rights abuses has its own separate page on Wikipedia.

Which one? We've got the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the Syrian Civil War, the Iraqi Civil War, and the border conflict between Pakistan and India, and those are only the ones I can name off of the top of my head.
If you're going to include the 'Greater Middle East' don't forget Afghanistan. Also the war in Yemen, now that is a clusterforget.

Because they don't really care about the religion
Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't want to be a muslim myself, and honestly I don't care what religion you are as long as you aren't hurting people.

they only perceive them as persecuted because the right-wing media demonizes them, although, to my knowledge and "calculations", the general population does not hold these views
Persecution of muslims does actually happen though. Just because a news station treats a group like stuff doesn't mean that real people don't hold these views, it's actually quite the opposite. News stations pander to an audience and if the viewers didn't agree with it then they'd go watch another channel.

Perhaps they are persecuted, but not on a societal scale. It's also just that it's exclusively muslims, not just religions in general.
No, definitely not on a societal scale. And what do you mean by exclusively muslims? Other ethnic groups and by the same token other religions are taken pretty seriously when people treat them bad. Muslims just get more attention on account of the middle east being a big deal recently.

If you're going to include the 'Greater Middle East' don't forget Afghanistan. Also the war in Yemen, now that is a clusterforget.
Yeah, the conflicts I've listed are only a fraction of what's going on.

should the u.s increase the amount of troops it has and try to finish the war? or consider it a lost cause, leave & let the people fix it themselves? from my understanding it seems like were only sending just enough troops to keep the war going but not enough to finish it. please correct me if i am wrong this is a very interesting subject.

if it was an easy decision between staying in middle east or leaving they would've already made it by now. the problem is no matter what, there's gonna be a lot of negative stuff that happens

Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't want to be a muslim myself, and honestly I don't care what religion you are as long as you aren't hurting people.
That's absolutely fine. What I'm saying is that they care about the fact that the muslims are a minority. Not for the right to practice their religion peacefully, but only because they are demonized, if you understand what I mean.
Persecution of muslims does actually happen though. Just because a news station treats a group like stuff doesn't mean that real people don't hold these views, it's actually quite the opposite. News stations pander to an audience and if the viewers didn't agree with it then they'd go watch another channel.
I disagree. I acknowledged above that persecution does happen, only because of media stations, such as Fox News, carry out their incessant fear-mongering. The general population does not hold these views. I'm going to tell you something that I've begun to notice. Journalism is HEAVILY biased. It is a tool for political parties as well as social groups to spread propaganda and ideas that they hold to be true. It's not so much as reporting the truth. Now, of course, this is all up for debate, but I disagree with your statement that the viewership influences the output of the news station. If that were the case, they likely would have never started watching in the first place.
No, definitely not on a societal scale. And what do you mean by exclusively muslims? Other ethnic groups and by the same token other religions are taken pretty seriously when people treat them bad. Muslims just get more attention on account of the middle east being a big deal recently.
Refer, again, to my example above. I don't expect you to take it as fact since it is my own personal experience, but it has been my own observation that an alarming number of people who will defend muslims to their graves will say similar stuff about Jews or Christians to the people they just got done lashing out on. These progressives don't really care about the people, they care about their perceived large-scale persecution. They then pat each other on the back for standing up for these poor people. I sometimes use my own experience on this very forum as an example. Even after I corrected my statement, people did and still do hold me to the original statement. I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey.