Author Topic: I need noise to sleep  (Read 1936 times)

I don't know why but, I can't sleep when its completely silent. Iv tried, but no matter what I'm stuck awake listening to my annoying as hell nervous system. Not to mention all the thoughts keeping me awake, because there's nothing to focus on to allow me to sleep. Every night to help me go to sleep I run Psych on Netflix, because I've seen every episode so many times Its not something I can get distracted by. Because of this I've literally seen every episode at least 50 times. Any other show, or other broadcasts like radio shows and songs just keep me awake and aware. I can however sleep with the sound of the dryer or washer, or just sounds in general that aren't a specific meaning to something.

Is this a problem for anyone else? Not being able to sleep without noise?

-forget misread-

no i have never seen this happen

my brain is noisy as-well when it gets no stimulation or input

i just leave the TV on
it seems white-noise isnt enough for me, i need people talking or music playing
some type of pattern change going on

I need complete silence to sleep
well, there's still the gentle hum that I always hear but have no idea where it comes from
but that doesn't count

my brain is noisy as-well when it gets no stimulation or input
well, there's still the gentle hum that I always hear but have no idea where it comes from
but that doesn't count
are you sure that isn't tinnitus

I made a long youtube playlist to listen to while I do boring things like sleep or homework.
It started out with over 200 songs, but I've pruned it down to about 90 over the past year or so.
It's good.

no its not audio sounds
my brain just starts to think too much and it keeps me up

I have unintentionally pulled all-nighters when I can't find some sort of noise to listen to.

That's why I turn on a fan when I go to bed

honestly the only thing that keeps me up ever is when I'm stressed out and I start doing my nighttime hallucinations and I can't sleep because I'm super duper afraid of getting sleep paralysis.

relevant xkcd:

I can sleep with absolute silence, but recently I like to put ASMR videos on before fall asleep. Just kinda helps me go to bed faster.

I can sleep with absolute silence, but recently I like to put ASMR videos on before fall asleep. Just kinda helps me go to bed faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0jVsp6Hm8
but dad

tinnitus is a ringing

I usually prefer a fan running

I always have to have a fan on, even winter. Good sound!