[Religion Megathread] - What's your faith?

Poll

What is your faith?

Christianity
Christian Sects
Islam
Islamic Sects
Judaism
Bahá'í
Buddhism
Taoism
Hinduism
Neopaganism
Wicca
Kemetism
Hellenism
Polytheism
Scientology
Atheism
Other
Agnostic
Non-Religious
Ruism
Nation of Islam
Satanism
Pastafarianism
Rastafarianism
Mormonism
Zionism

Author Topic: [Religion Megathread] - What's your faith?  (Read 5152 times)

Also Anglicans still exist?
It's the third single biggest Christian Communion in the world, after Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox.
It has an estimated 80 million members.

And it's the main religion of the United Kingdom.

Actually it is. In order to be a Christian (just an example, since it's what I know more about), you have to have faith in God existing. In order to be an atheist, you have to have faith that no gods exist. Sure, as an atheist, you use science as your right-hand man to back your claim that no gods exist, but you cannot ultimately prove that no gods exist.
We've been over this, this is not the case

No, that's not how it works, because that's not what faith means.
Faith is believing something with no evidence to support it.
But Atheism isn't a belief, it's not asserting that God doesn't exist, it's just rejecting an existing assertion by saying "I don't believe you." Not "I know you're wrong"
This is not true in the slightest. Atheism is lack of belief in a god, not a belief that there is no god. The difference is subtle, but it's there.

Atheism isn't a faith; it's a belief in a lack of belief. End of discussion?

Atheism isn't a faith; it's a belief in a lack of belief. End of discussion?

I wouldn't go that far.

We've been over this, this is not the case

So what you're saying is....people who say that no gods exist are not correct, even if they do provide some sort of proof? That would also work vice versa, for people who say that a god exists and provides proof.

Isnt atheism and non-religious basicly the same?

So what you're saying is....people who say that no gods exist are not correct, even if they do provide some sort of proof? That would also work vice versa, for people who say that a god exists and provides proof.
I'm saying that lacking a belief and believing a lack are two different things. I'm not claiming any correctness of belief systems/lack of beliefs.

Here's an example for you.

Person A claims there's currently a teapot in orbit around earth. They firmly believe it, and it's possible they're correct.
Person B requests evidence of person A's claims, and person A provides no evidence/flawed evidence.
Person A says that the flaws/lack of evidence are insufficient to prove the existence of the teapot. End result is he does not believe in the teapot, however he does not necessarily believe the teapot is not there.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:24:15 PM by Ipquarx »

holy stuff he added pastafarianism

500th post yay

wtf, did you not read the 4 pages of text
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:25:05 PM by Drydess »

I'm not entirely certain, but I don't believe atheism has a place for spiritualism, whereas non-religious does.

hail flying spaghetti monster