Star Wars Episode 7 Reactions (WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7 Reactions (WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS)  (Read 12920 times)

So they still all felt like contained stories. These movies are intended to be in three parts, which means its the three act structure in play, beginning, middle and end. We only saw the beginning part, and I didn't feel like it ended all that strongly. So now I have to wait until 2017 to see the ending. Then probably 2019 to finally get to the end.

But this film had a self contained story that was resolved also, though maybe not as much as the originals, in fact I thought the ending left off very strong in that it is definitely going to draw people into the next movie, but it wasn't really a huge cliffhanger.

But Rey's force was stronger?

She just started using the force that morning.

I still agree that the whole Rey becoming stronger as fast as she did was odd, but it seems reasonable to be able to stop a blaster bullet if you have the ability to deflect one as easily as they do. In all honesty, it seems like it would be easier.

Death Star 3.0 blows up.
You'd think they would just give up at this point.
Did this one have massive passages or exhaust ports that lead directly to the core too?
EDIT: Decombined episode IV and VI
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:21:18 AM by WaterOre »

Did this one have massive exhaust ports that lead directly to the core too?
its a combination of ep 4 and 6

disgraceful is what it is

I mean, the originals didn't have massive exhaust ports.

This time they had to get in and blow up by the inside before the X-Wings could blow up the core. I just realise that it felt like the original trilogy in one movie.

Now that I think about it, this forum topic has had the most criticism to the movie I have seen so far, because pretty much everywhere else I look and from the people I watched it with, the movie was fantastic. Anyway, I am off to bed, will discuss more of the movie tomorrow.

Wait, so they still incorporated the direct-to-core passages from the original two? The things that had been a massive weak point and caused the destruction of two massive (and probably expensive) superstructures in the previous movies?

Who in the world designed this thing?

a vader fanboy

stuff it actually makes sense now

i dont have any complaints with the movie it was really good i just wish han solo hadn't died :(

The more I think about it, the more I'm really upset that they reused the blowing up the death star scene.

This is the loving third time they did it and it's just loving lazy. It didn't even feel like there was any urgency to it. You know why?

Cause we've loving did it twice already.

Honestly, it would have actually be shocking had they failed trying to blow it up because, after all it's a Star Wars movie, they would apparently never actually have something interesting happen (haven't since loving 1983).

Now that I think about it, this forum topic has had the most criticism to the movie I have seen so far, because pretty much everywhere else I look and from the people I watched it with, the movie was fantastic.

That's probably because I take movies very seriously and don't cut them much slack unless its deserved.

Check out my reviews on my youtube channel for more. I also just finished up a six month long Star Wars retrospective if you're really interested on why this new movie didn't feel right.

More like the Force Woke Up, Groaned "Just five more minutes" and hit snooze.

Like, why was the Falcon just so happened to be on Jakku for Finn and Rey to find?
I thought they explained it away as different traders and smugglers stealing the ship until it eventually came into the possession of Ray's fat boss.

Why did Finn out of all the other stormtroopers decide right then and there he was done being a stormtrooper on his first outing as a stormtrooper?
It was his first outing and it was an absolute massacre. He probably assumed he'd be guarding a corridor his entire life or some benign stuff. Remember, he was a janitor first, so clearly he wasn't really made to be a soldier.

How did Finn mistake Han and Chewie's freighter as the New Order's ship other than so we could have a "dramatic" Han Solo reveal?
Probably because it looks like New Order tech from the outside? That's the way I interpreted it at least, because it looked similar to some of the new freighter designs.

Why did Kylo Ren stop a blaster bolt with the Force?
Do you like being shot?

How did Rey learn out of now where what a Jedi mindtrick was if literally a few scenes earlier she was questioning if the Jedi were even real?
I'll hand you that one. I didn't really think about it until you pointed it out, though.

Why did R2D2 just so happen to wake up at the exact right moment to complete the map to Luke as soon as the Starkiller base was destroyed?
Well, he's in low-power state, right? That means he was probably on, but most systems shut down and waiting for a specific stimuli to resume awake state.

How did Rey just close her eyes and decide to start "using the force" to beat Kylo in a saber duel when she has had no formal saber training at all and even if Kylo was an unskilled force user, he still had more training than her and should have still easily beaten her cause she's never touched a lightsaber in her life?
Through-out the film we constantly see her use that pike-thing which is supposed to point to her having trained at using melee weapons. A lightsaber is the same deal except with a lot of energy. Kylo had been damaged by Finn during their section of the fight, and he was probably going through some motions that prevented him from being his best.

Also, it always seems like the force favours light-siders rather than truly being "balanced". The prick.

Why was Kylo Ren made to be a badass in one scene and then totally throw a hissy fit twice in the movie when things don't go his way and yet he's supposed to be our new Darth Vader?
I guess they forgot the whole reason Vader worked as a character and instead wanted to make a character who they could hint at redemption for plot points in the coming sequels?

Why did they literally just do a not as tight version of the plot to Episode 4?
They probably wanted to find a nice balance between old and new styles so they can figure out how to shift the rest of the movies. A familiar plot with new direction elements (blood in a Star Wars film?).
[/quote]

I went in with 0 expectation having only seen 2 trailers, and I loved it. There were a few bits I was uncomfortable with (Kylo "pusillanimous individual" Ren), but I think they'll sort them out.

My guess is that this new leader guy is actually the Emperor from the original trilogy, having somehow survived the Death Star II explosion (they have to explain those face scars some how). I also feel like Rey is Luke's daughter and there's probably more twists to come.

I loved the movie. But Im upset that they killed Han Solo but a bit disappointed that Kylo Ren died too because isnt he supposed to be like the new Darth Vader? Im darth vaders uncle tho so I might as well take over

I loved the movie. But Im upset that they killed Han Solo but a bit disappointed that Kylo Ren died too because isnt he supposed to be like the new Darth Vader? Im darth vaders uncle tho so I might as well take over
Kylo Ren's not dead

My guess is that this new leader guy is actually the Emperor from the original trilogy, having somehow survived the Death Star II explosion (they have to explain those face scars some how). I also feel like Rey is Luke's daughter and there's probably more twists to come.

I thought of that idea too once I got a proper look at his face and saw the scars.

Plus I thought he was a giant, until they revealed it was a hologram. Which is weird cause I guess hologram technology has improved in not making the users tinted blue all the time.

Some of your answers I can get on board with, but

Do you like being shot?

We see later that Kylo is totally a novice with the force and not even a very good sith (he's constantly nagging about still feeling the draw to the light side and loses a light saber duel to someone who's never used the force in her life until that day), but then he just loving does this stuff at the beginning?

It feels like a lazy way of just establishing his badassery quickly, then forgetting all about that when he needs to have "character traits" later.

I meant it more in terms of theming.\

Also, if it was something he could do the whole time, then why didn't he do it later when he got shot and thus damaged before the Finn/Rey saber duel.

Also I was confused with Finn turning because if they're supposed to be genetically modified and brainwashed when they're basically born (cause he was taken away from his family) then he grew up knowing the First Order did stuff like this, there's no way you go 20 some years, even as a janitor, not hearing stories or listening to speeches (like Hux gave) about how many people the New Order kills on a daily basis.

It's not that I don't buy it, it's more I think it could have happened later in the film or, maybe even earlier and offscreen so that when we do the Finn's "liar revealed" trope (which he does like loving three times), it'd be a surprise to the audience and give his character a little more weight other than "well, of course he's good now because he just so happens to be the one stormtrooper with the heart of gold also he's a main character."